Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2014, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4x2 HDBaseT HDMI matrix w/wifi?

Hi,
I want to run a 4x2 matrix switch, but how do I control the switching of the 4 inputs?
Can this be done with an iOS app over wifi?
I've seen some that come with remotes, but I'd rather use an iphone or ipad to switch between those 4 inputs.
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Octava + iRule + a Global Cache iTach IP2IR or IP2RS232 will do the trick– I doubt anyone will embed Wi-Fi in a 4x2 switch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=468544983243253&set=a.2252087642435 44.45081.225127100918377&type=1

http://www.octavainc.com/4x2-%20HDMI-%20Matrix%20-over-%20CAT6.html(will be launching an HDBT-lite version later this summer).

http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 07-05-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by limester View Post
Hi,
I want to run a 4x2 matrix switch, but how do I control the switching of the 4 inputs?
Can this be done with an iOS app over wifi?
I've seen some that come with remotes, but I'd rather use an iphone or ipad to switch between those 4 inputs.
You sure about that? Video matrix units are best controlled using whatever you'll be using to control the TV and the sources attached to the matrix, which is most likely a handheld IR/RF remote. Any learning remote can be taught the codes needed to run the matrix, and activity-based remotes like the Harmony line can easily incorporate those to make the operation simple and transparent...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies! @jaunt or: my cable box can be controlled by my iphone with the same functions as remote, so my main concern is changing the input sources remotely (wifi preferably) between cable box and xbmc/bluray.
I think the irule and globalcache products will allow this?
Cheers!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'I think the irule and globalcache products will allow this?' - Yes using wired or wireless iTach with IR or RS232 control.

RS232 is preferable in that you can then receive 'status' feedback from the Switch so you can 'see' what is routed to where within your GUI on iRule.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Old 07-09-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by limester View Post
Thanks for the replies! @jaunt or: my cable box can be controlled by my iphone with the same functions as remote, so my main concern is changing the input sources remotely (wifi preferably) between cable box and xbmc/bluray.
I think the irule and globalcache products will allow this?
Cheers!
Yes, it certainly can, but IMO using a phone / tablet for everyday TV watching is a PITA... Unlocking the device, keeping it with you, hard to hit mute while answering the phone, and most importantly - you have to look at the phone while trying to drive on-screen interfaces.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That looks like a pretty interesting product for $699. Compared to $7,999 for an 8x8 "pro" HDMI matrix it actually looks achievable for a home setup. Now for the HDBaseT version...