Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By SAM64

post #1 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Is there a faq for cat cable to coax tv?

Is there a faq for cat cable to coax tv? I made the mistake of going into Frys looking for Cat 6 or similar cable to cable tv connectors, and they looked at me like I was from Mars.

My home has Cat (5?) or better cable run through the attic, to junction boxes for several rooms. The Cat5/6 cable runs from the cable tv company's box outside (I am not sure if the house attic wiring has cat5, cat5e, or cat6, etc.. so I cannot tell specifically which one I have). It works very well, I get the Internet, which I feed though a router. I take the tv signal, which connects though the cable tv box, through cat cables, to cat to tv coax converters on wall plates. I then screw on my tv coax wires and plugs to the coax connectors on the wallplates. I currently run several computers, internet, and several HDTV's.

I just want to add another cat 6 cable (just going from cat 5 or better to cat 6, so that in the future, if the house requires it, it will have more cat 6 upgrades, if ever needed.) in any case, I could just match the current cat version, no biggie. But am adding another cat cable for another room that was not wired, and want to take that added cat from a junction box in the attic and run it to a cat to tv coax wall plate with connector down through another wall, from the attic junction boxes. So, I can add some more Internet and TV cable connectors to the kitchen.

So, I am looking for a place to buy some more cat 6 (or whatever cat version), a connector for the cat to tv coax, and the wallplate with the cat-to-coax for the tv. I can find the cat cable anywhere,, but it was the connectors I could not find, and Frys said they have no such connectors. They only had BNC connectors. Morons.

I know I can buy wallplates anywhere, and straight through connectors.

Again, I just want the connectors that have cat6 on one side, and comes out the tv coax on the other. I am considering modular, but some places really rape you on price for these cheap parts.

Thanx.

I would have just bought them at Frys if they had them and treated me like I was human.

what can you put here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-05-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't think I've ever seen a Cat-5 (or Cat-6) to coax (RG-6, etc) connector. Could you post a picture of what you're using now?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Who is your tv provider? Cable tv usually runs on rg6.
After the catv box or BD player Or Apple tv or whatever you can send the HDMI signal over cat5 or 6 using HDMI base t baluns but that is av 301. Not 101.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
My cable company is a city owned, so it is not listed with any large companies, the city only has 1,000 residents. They have their own phone and cable TV/Internet services. I will just find a coax and run a splitter I guess. I am not going in the attic during the day, it is just way to hot in there during the summer! The attic is huge, and I walk through most of it, except for the edge of the roof areas.

what can you put here?
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
but it was the connectors I could not find, and Frys said they have no such connectors. They only had BNC connectors. Morons.

You're looking for cat6 to coax connectors, and they're the morons?
roddymcg and acesat like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I think you are confused on terminology or technology Retire.

When Cat 5/6 is ran to a TV it is used on some sort of extender (HDMI/Component).
post #7 of 7 Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This could be an IPTV network.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page