HDMI Distribution Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
HDMI Distribution Question

Here is my setup. I have 2 Directv DVRs and a Roku box currently hooked up to a Gefen 4x1 switch which feeds one HDMI input of my projector. The audio is sent separately from each of the DVRs to my Bryston SP3 via digital coaxial and toslink. My Oppo feeds the 2nd projector HDMI input directly. The 2nd HDMI output from the Oppo feeds audio to my Bryston SP3. The 2 HDMI runs to my projector are in wall and are on different walls.

I would really like to go all HDMI and just feed Directv DVRs to my SP3 via HDMI. In order to do this I would need to have 2 different HDMI outputs from a switch - 1 for video and 1 for audio. Will I have HDCP issues if I do this via a 4x2 matrix switch? I have no idea how the copy protection works.

Any other suggestions on how I do this? I thought about feeding HDMI to the SP3 directly from each of the DVRs, but I could not get an HDMI extender over Cat6 to work. I would need that to get the HDMI out from the Sp3 back to the 1st feed to my projector since it will not reach the SP3 directly.

Thanks in advance.

David M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You shouldn't have HDCP issues with a matrix switch. You may have EDID issues, depending on how the switch works and what EDID codes your projector returns, though I suspect that won't be a problem.

Why not just have the Bryston do the switching? Is that impractical due to the wiring? It's not quite clear to me what you're trying to work around.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post
You shouldn't have HDCP issues with a matrix switch. You may have EDID issues, depending on how the switch works and what EDID codes your projector returns, though I suspect that won't be a problem.

Why not just have the Bryston do the switching? Is that impractical due to the wiring? It's not quite clear to me what you're trying to work around.
If I feed the DVRs to the SP3 then I need to send the SP3 HDMI output to my projector. However, the HDMI cable which is in wall and feeds the projector isn't long enough to reach the SP3. So, I would have to bridge the gap of 12-15 feet. I tried an HDMI over Cat6 extender but it didn't work.

I hope that makes sense.

If I use a 4x2, I could feed one output the projector and the other to the SP3.

David M.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
If I feed the DVRs to the SP3 then I need to send the SP3 HDMI output to my projector. However, the HDMI cable which is in wall and feeds the projector isn't long enough to reach the SP3. So, I would have to bridge the gap of 12-15 feet. I tried an HDMI over Cat6 extender but it didn't work.
Did you try another HDMI cable and a female-female coupler?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
post #5 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
If I feed the DVRs to the SP3 then I need to send the SP3 HDMI output to my projector. However, the HDMI cable which is in wall and feeds the projector isn't long enough to reach the SP3. So, I would have to bridge the gap of 12-15 feet.
And you can't move the SP3 to where the DVRs are?

But as FlyingDriver suggested, try another HDMI cable. An HDMI booster/equalizer may also be an option since you are talking about a non-trivial distance (in total)...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
And you can't move the SP3 to where the DVRs are?

But as FlyingDriver suggested, try another HDMI cable. An HDMI booster/equalizer may also be an option since you are talking about a non-trivial distance (in total)...

Jeff
I can't move the SP3. There is too much other equipment attached to it.

I can try to the coupler. How much do couplers degrade the video signal?

David M.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I use this4x2 matrix switch to switch two DirecTV HR24s, a Roku box and a Blu-ray player. One output carries HDMI over two 50' lengths of HDMI cable joined by an HDMI coupler. I don't get any video degradation whatsoever. I'm not using a signal booster but the switch may have one built in although I don't know for sure. For the record, I also have a separate audio connection via digital coax/optical for all components including my 1st generation Roku box that has an optical output.

Vin
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I can try to the coupler. How much do couplers degrade the video signal?
If it works, zero. Meaning, if you get a picture and don't have visible drop-outs, you're good to go.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If it works, zero. Meaning, if you get a picture and don't have visible drop-outs, you're good to go.
Great - thanks. That's what I will try first.

David M.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page