Nuvo or Sonos? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nuvo or Sonos?

I am building a larger custom home - currently framed and ready for drywall in about a month. I was planning on using a Nuvo Grand Concerto system for whole house audio... 6 zones of wired speakers with a CAT5 cable to each controller location... very simple and easy to set up. However, I was told that with a Sonos system, I could stream a file on my phone to the Sonos setup, and control where it plays. Is there a way to do this with the Nuvo?

I have researched Sonos, but all I find is a bunch of different wireless speakers. Which Sonos system is able to do this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sands View Post
I am building a larger custom home - currently framed and ready for drywall in about a month. I was planning on using a Nuvo Grand Concerto system for whole house audio... 6 zones of wired speakers with a CAT5 cable to each controller location... very simple and easy to set up. However, I was told that with a Sonos system, I could stream a file on my phone to the Sonos setup, and control where it plays. Is there a way to do this with the Nuvo?

I have researched Sonos, but all I find is a bunch of different wireless speakers. Which Sonos system is able to do this? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Having control panels at each zone is infinitely more convenient than having to access a computer or handheld device.

Sonos works well in applications where you can't or don't want to run wiring, but given the cost and the fact that you've already run wiring, I'd recommend the Nuvo without reservation.

You can stream from iOS devices or Android phones, but the method differs depending on which you're using.

What are you planning to use as a music source? A Music Port adds TuneIn, Sirius, Slacker, Pandora, Rhaposdy, Spotify, Last.fm, and local storage of 320 gigs of music. The Elite adds access to any files stored on your network and 750 gigs of music locally.

Last edited by GlowingGhoul; 07-13-2014 at 11:13 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
I am building a larger custom home - currently framed and ready for drywall in about a month. I was planning on using a Nuvo Grand Concerto system for whole house audio... 6 zones of wired speakers with a CAT5 cable to each controller location...
For a "larger" custom home you should be at least pre-wired for more than 6 zones, if you're interested enough in the topic to come here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul View Post
Having control panels at each zone is infinitely more convenient than having to access a computer or handheld device.
And having "both" is the best answer, which the NuVo will get you, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowingGhoul View Post
What are you planning to use as a music source? A Music Port adds TuneIn, Sirius, Slacker, Pandora, Rhaposdy, Spotify, Last.fm, and local storage of 320 gigs of music. The Elite adds access to any files stored on your network and 750 gigs of music locally.
Note that NuVo just announced upgraded specs for the MusicPort servers - taking the internal drive sizes to 500GB and 1TB, repectively.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
For a "larger" custom home you should be at least pre-wired for more than 6 zones, if you're interested enough in the topic to come here!

And having "both" is the best answer, which the NuVo will get you, too...

Note that NuVo just announced upgraded specs for the MusicPort servers - taking the internal drive sizes to 500GB and 1TB, repectively.

Jeff
Thanks guys.

I will have something on the lines of a music port as well. But I was especially intrigued by the ability to stream from my Android if at all possible. Sounds like I can do that with the NUVO in some way at least.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I will have something on the lines of a music port as well. But I was especially intrigued by the ability to stream from my Android if at all possible. Sounds like I can do that with the NUVO in some way at least.
Two more questions regarding this....

1) can speakers be connected in parallel so that there are two or even three speakers for each right channel and left channel? If not, is there a recommended multi channel amp for my family room/kitchen/Living room zone, which will have 4 speakers for RIGHT and 4 speakers for LEFT?

2) Is there a reason that the 14/4 speaker wire must connect to to 14/2 speaker wire behind the Nuvo wall controller? Why not just home run 14/2 from every speaker direct to the amplifier?

Thanks again.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
General streaming support can be done with a Bluetooth receiver placed "nearby" and wired back to the system as a source. Or an Apple Airport Express to act as an Airplay device (there is 3rd party Android support for Airplay).

Quote:
Two more questions regarding this....

1) can speakers be connected in parallel so that there are two or even three speakers for each right channel and left channel? If not, is there a recommended multi channel amp for my family room/kitchen/Living room zone, which will have 4 speakers for RIGHT and 4 speakers for LEFT?
They can with a speaker selector to deal with the impedance mismatch, but for a WHA system this is better handled by joining zones together in the system configuration. Regardless, always home-run all the wires so this can be dealt with at the head end.

Quote:
2) Is there a reason that the 14/4 speaker wire must connect to to 14/2 speaker wire behind the Nuvo wall controller? Why not just home run 14/2 from every speaker direct to the amplifier?
That is for general compatibility with any of the WHA system architectures. Some systems use digital amplifiers built into the keypads. The 'loop through' allows the use of those or centralized amplifier designs. If you're certain you'll use the latter, you can skip this step if you want, as all the higher-end systems use the centralized approach. But that could always change - and the loop through is recommended by the CEA's own wiring standards.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.... that makes sense.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page