I am in the process of implementing an AirPort Express based multizone (5) pre-wired system in my house currently. (shocked that Sonos hasn't yet developed a device that allows multizone switching/inputs) and would like to hear how your implementation went. I've read numerous forums and websites weighing the pros and cons of various systems and have come to the conclusion there is no single device option for the wired use case you (and I) desire. In terms of simplicity (for my family at least), the Airplay distribution is by far easiest. typical scenario goes:
1. I get up in the morning, want to listen to news program via an app on my iphone over wired speakers in our bathroom while getting ready. (no time to fire up a PC, tablet/ipad)
2.Then, wife gets up, and does the same thing, but different app and programming, on her phone.
3. I migrate downstairs (now in kitchen zone), and have the same program/app follow me there, while master bath zone continues playing her content.
4. in the afternoons, wife moves to patio zone, wants to stream background music, again from iphone, as it is outdoors and cannot dedicate a PC there, nor stand up and operate anything from a keypad (do they still install those in this day of mobile everything? can't think of a single reason why...)
5. on weekends, guests may stream content from their (mostly iOS) devices to the patio or other zones, and prefer not to "train" them on anything outside standard iOS functionality and the wifi AP name and PW.
6. also have living room and basement zones, all which may have different content sources, playing at different times, w/ kids, etc.
All of these are extremely easy for kids and wife to do via the airplay functionality on the iphone, no additional app required, and its already intuitive based on using other standalone bluetooth audio devices already (car, speakers while camping, etc).
- so, which system did you install?
- if iOS, are you finding that mobile device-driven content is a problem with possible call/text/other app interruptions?
- if you went with sonos, do you find that introducing another app to the picture simplifies the situation or makes it more complex? does sonos offer outdoor speakers?
- any issues with the multi-zone amp?