Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By scootss

post #1 of 12 Old 07-19-2014, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IR over stereo cable? (IR to IR w/ 3.5mm)

Hi all -

I've had good success with my distributed video setup thanks to the folks on here.

The last item is getting IR from my harmony hub over my octava HDMI over ethernet to my TV. The IR works fine, but I'm essentially using the IR blaster from the harmony hub TO the IR receiver of the Octava.

Harmony Hub ---(IR)--> Octava transmitter --(Ethernet)-->Octava Receiver --(IR)-->TV

I'd love to send the signal from the hub directly to the octava transmitter over a wire, without IR in the middle. The Octava uses a standard 3.5mm stereo jack while the harmony uses something smaller.

So my question is...if I was to splice the two wires together, would that work to eliminate the IR blaster and receiver?

As of now, I have a blaster pointing at an IR receiver which just seems wrong!

Thanks!
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yes it should work. Splice the Ethernet into the middle and use that as an extension to the cable.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootss View Post
So my question is...if I was to splice the two wires together, would that work to eliminate the IR blaster and receiver?
EDIT: This is incorrect as SAM64 points out below - the emitter output is a modulated signal while the IR receiver input is expecting a baseband, non-modulated signal. The two are not compatible.

Probably. But it's not just necessarily splicing the two ends together - you need to figure out which signals are which. The IR emitter is a simple 2-conductor (signal and ground) device. But the IR Receiver port is a 3-conductor device (power, signal, and ground). The complexity here is that the 3.5mm jacks come in both mono (2-conductor) and stereo (3 conductor). Because the stereo jack was designed for headphones, etc. to be backwards-compatible with the mono jack, the setup can/will short those two conductors together. Which means the IR receiver port will likely short power/signal to ground and prevent this from working...

So figure out the conductor arrangement on that IR receiver jack and then build a cable connecting only the signal and ground condutors - with a stereo 3.5mm (TRS) connector on one end and an mono one for the other end and that should work.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

Last edited by jautor; 07-21-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Incorrect information...
post #4 of 12 Old 07-20-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
'I have a blaster pointing at an IR receiver which just seems wrong!' - it works though, we tend to put a piece of 'Heat Shrink' over the IR Blaster/Receiver and have very few problems.

Not a problem to supply a wiring diagram for our sockets if you do want to look at a 'direct' cable - as Jeff says you need to look at which pins and voltage too.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #5 of 12 Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

So figure out the conductor arrangement on that IR receiver jack and then build a cable connecting only the signal and ground condutors - with a stereo 3.5mm (TRS) connector on one end and an mono one for the other end and that should work.
Thanks for the details! I'm off to buy some cables!
post #6 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
The IR emitter is a simple 2-conductor (signal and ground) device. But the IR Receiver port is a 3-conductor device (power, signal, and ground).

The emitter is a diode that is driven by a modulated signal. The receiver outputs a demodulated, baseband signal. The two signals are not compatible.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post
The emitter is a diode that is driven by a modulated signal. The receiver outputs a demodulated, baseband signal. The two signals are not compatible.
ewwww... crap. SAM is that always the case with the IR receiver device implementations? I guess I would have expected the mod/demod work to be done downstream.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
ewwww... crap. SAM is that always the case with the IR receiver device implementations? I guess I would have expected the mod/demod work to be done downstream.

Every 3 terminal IR receiver I've seen outputs a demodulated signal, there may be exceptions, but none that I'm aware of.
The modulation of the LED is usually done in the 'connecting block'.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Not a problem to supply a wiring diagram for our sockets if you do want to look at a 'direct' cable - as Jeff says you need to look at which pins and voltage too.
Joe - based on some of the other comments, it seems like I'm stuck. Since you're with Octava (LOVE your stuff, btw), have you ever seen this successfully work?

I had the soldering gun ready to go and I'd love to find a more elegant solution that two IR devices pointed at each other

thanks all!

p.s. I doubt this matters at all, but the Harmony is 2.5mm mono jack while the octava is 3.5mm stereo jack

Last edited by scootss; 07-21-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added p.s.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Like others have pointed out its never as straightforward as you would hope - the heat shrink method has never let us down!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #11 of 12 Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Like others have pointed out its never as straightforward as you would hope - the heat shrink method has never let us down!

Joe
Sounds good. Thanks all!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Heatshrink did the trick. Thanks guys!
Joe Fernand likes this.
Reply Home A/V Distribution