Please help with speaker selector and possible issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please help with speaker selector and possible issues

I have a friend who I've been helping out with getting his new system put in place. Nothing fancy but he is happy with it so far. He is currently using a Pioneer SC-1227-K and would like to power the speakers he has in different zones. To keep things simple, he wants/already has 4 zones. There is one speaker each in the kitchen, dining room, second living room (for lack of a better description) and then 2 speakers outside. He would like to be able to control all those zones seperately from his 5.1 setup (in living room 1) that the amp is currently powering.

I currently have the kitchen speaker and dining room speaker connected to zone two on the amp (L & R) but the audio is extremely low, even when the volume is fairly high on the receiver and maxed in the zone 2 volume control. I don't think the Pioneer has enough juice frankly. I was hoping to be able to get a 4 channel speaker selector that also has 50 watts per channel or so if such a thing exists. That way he can decide which if any speakers are playing music along with the 5.1 setup. We have no idea what kind of speakers are in the ceiling as he just bought the house and doesn't have that info or a ladder tall enough to find out

So from my searching on this forum I guess he needs some kind of impedence matching so the amp doesn't suffer but other than that I'm clueless when it comes to zones. If possible I'm sure he would like to keep everything under $500 Can. Is there such a thing as a speaker selector that is also amplified or will he need to buy two pieces of gear to accomplish this. Also, what companies should I look out for and which ones should I avoid. I'd rather do it right and get the best bang for your buck.

Thanks for any and all help with this.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I have a friend who I've been helping out with getting his new system put in place. Nothing fancy but he is happy with it so far. He is currently using a Pioneer SC-1227-K and would like to power the speakers he has in different zones. To keep things simple, he wants/already has 4 zones. There is one speaker each in the kitchen, dining room, second living room (for lack of a better description) and then 2 speakers outside. He would like to be able to control all those zones seperately from his 5.1 setup (in living room 1) that the amp is currently powering.
The problem you're going to face here is that the existing gear and the cheap solutions all expect a pair of speakers per zone.

Quote:
I currently have the kitchen speaker and dining room speaker connected to zone two on the amp (L & R) but the audio is extremely low, even when the volume is fairly high on the receiver and maxed in the zone 2 volume control. I don't think the Pioneer has enough juice frankly.
It should have more than enough for that setup, at least to produce something more than "extremely low". Try the main L/R speaker outputs and see how that sounds. Are the two speakers identical (same make/model)?

Quote:
I was hoping to be able to get a 4 channel speaker selector that also has 50 watts per channel or so if such a thing exists. That way he can decide which if any speakers are playing music along with the 5.1 setup. We have no idea what kind of speakers are in the ceiling as he just bought the house and doesn't have that info or a ladder tall enough to find out
Is there a volume control on the wall or anything else between the speaker and the receiver?

The power ratings on speaker selectors are simply the size of the amplifier that can be connected to the selector. The selectors themselves have NO amplification.

Quote:
So from my searching on this forum I guess he needs some kind of impedence matching so the amp doesn't suffer but other than that I'm clueless when it comes to zones. If possible I'm sure he would like to keep everything under $500 Can. Is there such a thing as a speaker selector that is also amplified or will he need to buy two pieces of gear to accomplish this. Also, what companies should I look out for and which ones should I avoid. I'd rather do it right and get the best bang for your buck.
A four-pair speaker selector would work, and if the Pioneer receiver isn't producing enough output to run two speakers (and it's functioning properly), you'll need a larger external amp to then connect to the selector. If you want individual volume control among those rooms, you'll need a more expensive selector with volume controls built-in.

Selectors can be found for cheap (with impedance-matching). Units with volume controls will run more. A cheap external amp would be $100-200 - so in total you can easily do something here for well under $500 (worst case).

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

No idea if all the zone speakers are the same as we are unable to check. I'll try putting them on the main L/R output to see how they are next time I am there.

There is no volume control on the wall as far as I can tell. I believe the previous owner had a speaker selector and separate amp for them.

That doesn't sound too bad at all. He will want individual volume controls for each zone though.

Do you have any recommendations for a 4 channel selector and an amp to power them? Stores may be an issue but a lot of the times I can order from Amazon.com as Amazon.ca doesn't carry much for the most part. That may be my best bet as I'm ordering out of Canada but as long as the store is reputable I have no issues ordering from the US. I've dealt with Monoprice a lot and love their cables etc.

Thanks much for your help, it's greatly appreciated. If you need any other info or have any other (simple) suggestions please let me know. He really isn't too technical so this is about as complicated (usage wise, I can deal with the setup part) as I'd like to get

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
The problem you're going to face here is that the existing gear and the cheap solutions all expect a pair of speakers per zone.

It should have more than enough for that setup, at least to produce something more than "extremely low". Try the main L/R speaker outputs and see how that sounds. Are the two speakers identical (same make/model)?

Is there a volume control on the wall or anything else between the speaker and the receiver?

The power ratings on speaker selectors are simply the size of the amplifier that can be connected to the selector. The selectors themselves have NO amplification.

A four-pair speaker selector would work, and if the Pioneer receiver isn't producing enough output to run two speakers (and it's functioning properly), you'll need a larger external amp to then connect to the selector. If you want individual volume control among those rooms, you'll need a more expensive selector with volume controls built-in.

Selectors can be found for cheap (with impedance-matching). Units with volume controls will run more. A cheap external amp would be $100-200 - so in total you can easily do something here for well under $500 (worst case).

Jeff
post #4 of 11 Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Bump, hopefully someone can help me out with recommendations.

Thanks for your time.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Another bump. Do they make 4 channel speakers selectors with amps built in already. Would seem to be a great idea.

Any brands that I should be looking at and any to avoid? I would really like to move forward with this if possible and do it right the first time as the money isn't mine but a friends/client.

Make something idiot-proof, and they will build a better idiot
post #6 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nodscene,
I'm not aware of any speaker selectors with an amplifier, these devices are strictly for switching and impedance protection. I'm having a similar "problem". (BTW, here's a 4 zone selector with volume controls). I think if you run the inputs of your second zone to the speaker selector, it'd greatly improve your volume problem.

As for my personal "solution", my 5.1 doesn't have a "zone 2" so I purchased a separate amplifier and pre-amp (a receiver would've done the job too) to run my "zones". I'm not aware of a way to safely keep my 5.1 surround sound happy AND run extra zones (my patio speakers have an individual volume control) from the same amplifier. I originally bought a speaker selector with A/B to connect both amplifiers to it but I'm too chicken to test it. So...my Yamaha (HTR 4065) has an rca "audio out" for recording purposes, I'm going to run that to my pre-amp as an input so (if I want) I can play music through the 5.1 AND my zones. If I want to watch a movie on the 5.1 and listen to music (on my zone speakers) I'll connect my source (usually an ipod) direct to my pre-amp and not worry about what the Yamaha is doing. I'll be the first to admit it's not the prettiest/easiest/best way to do things, but I'm trying to go the safest route and not have to worry about impedance problems with my Yamaha.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 PM

post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information! I'll go ahead with the zone selector with volume control from Monoprice as I like dealing with them, and then worry about an amp later if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRomo View Post

post #9 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Good luck, let us know how it works!

One last thing I felt I should mention (just in case).

I'm wondering...are all the speaker wires coming in from one location? Have you identified which wire is which speaker? (a 9volt battery on the wires would do the trick). I just want to make sure the previous home owner didn't install a speaker selector in a closet somewhere (with the volume turned way down) and ran wires to where he had his amplifer. I really doubt this is the case but I'm just trying to think of all possibilites.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, they are coming from one location and I have identified which speaker is which (should have used your idea!). There was a previous 6 channel speaker selector but the guy wanted $400+ for it and I figured I could find something less expensive.

I will let you know how it all works out. May be a while as my client/friend isn't in a big rush and I still need to order the item from Monoprice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRomo View Post
Good luck, let us know how it works!

One last thing I felt I should mention (just in case).

I'm wondering...are all the speaker wires coming in from one location? Have you identified which wire is which speaker? (a 9volt battery on the wires would do the trick). I just want to make sure the previous home owner didn't install a speaker selector in a closet somewhere (with the volume turned way down) and ran wires to where he had his amplifer. I really doubt this is the case but I'm just trying to think of all possibilites.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 AM

FYI, if you haven't bought the speaker selector yet monoprice.com has 10% off site wide. Discount code LABORDAY10 (good 8/27 - 9/1).
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page