Pre-wire advice to builder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pre-wire advice to builder

Im in business if renovating old homes for resale. I dont know the buyer so I have to aim for the middle of the market in terms of technical sophistication though these are upscale renovations.

In the past, I've run one rg6 and two Cat6 to each location such as all bedrooms, family room, media room, office, kitchen, and other gathering nooks if any (but not living or dining rooms).

With the speed and prevalence of wifi I'm wondering if I should only run cables to family and media room, plus office? What would make sense for "regular folks" to have. It does cost money to run cables and I do want to only cover the upscale essentials. Please comment specifically as to rg6, cat5/6, plus general advice for speaker wire and hdmi or conduit at key tv locales (family and meDia). Also,what can/should be done in support of wireless access points?

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live in a rented home that the owners purchased after it was renovated for resale. It seems to me the thing to do is place RG6 outlets and loose ends just about everywhere: on each wall of every room, sticking out of the hardwood at random, etc. And then, to have those wall jacks and loose ends not actually connect to anything on the other side of the wall/floor. As for internet, I would guess your average user actually doesn't have any devices into which a wire would plug. That said, this is not the place to find out where the average home buyer would like wire run throughout a home.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well my guess for an average user.
Rg6 to any place they are likely to puy a tv. I'd you are pulling that may as well put two Cat5e next to that. $160 of cat is not moving the profit margin on your work much.
You are right that other locations are less necessary but some central location in each floor for another cat that you can plug wireless access points in would help.
In any room you would think would be an office add a couple o cat where the Desk goes.
Key tv points make sure the framing is clear to run the thru wall hole things to get a clean wall mount of the tv. Also consider cross bracing at Tv level for the mount.
Beyond that I got nothin.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Well my guess for an average user.
Rg6 to any place they are likely to puy a tv. I'd you are pulling that may as well put two Cat5e next to that. $160 of cat is not moving the profit margin on your work much.
You are right that other locations are less necessary but some central location in each floor for another cat that you can plug wireless access points in would help.
In any room you would think would be an office add a couple o cat where the Desk goes.
Key tv points make sure the framing is clear to run the thru wall hole things to get a clean wall mount of the tv. Also consider cross bracing at Tv level for the mount.
Beyond that I got nothin.
I agree with SMHarman

I would add

You have to pick TV locations like a family room or media room, so put in a 120V outlet, run 2" conduit from TV to equipment closet, prewire for LCR, sub and surround

Add some Cat5e for cameras, at least the front door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement