Audio switch/matrix with IR and volume control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Audio switch/matrix with IR and volume control?

I'm not sure if the product I'm looking for actually exists. I currently have a multi-zone setup run through a PC going to separate 2ch amps for 4 zones. However, I'm looking to simplify things by replacing the PC with a Sonos connect. Is there some sort of switch I can buy that takes 1 (or more) RCA audio inputs and provides 4 (or more) RCA audio outs that allows me to control the volume on the outputs and turn each one on/off with IR remote control?

Searching has only come up with speaker selectors but I'm looking for line level audio only. As each zone has its own amp, I don't need impedance matching.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Well, you've just described a Whole House Audio (WHA) system controller... Most of those come with amplifiers built in these days, but HTD.com does have one as a separate. The problem is going to be the remote control - you'll have to figure out a decent solution there for any of these systems, otherwise you're going to be back at the unit every time you want to use it - which will mean it won't get used nearly as often as it could...

But as you're going to get a Sonos Connect anyway, the best solution would be for you to (eventually) buy three more of those so you have one per zone. That would give you fully independent operation, 100% controlled from the Sonos mobile app. If you wanted some other source(s) besides the Sonos, each one has an analog input, too.

In the short term, buying one more Sonos Connect, and splitting the output of each to 2 zones each might be a reasonable solution...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks Jeff. That was my other plan but I was hoping for something cheaper. I highly doubt I'll ever have a situation where I want to play different music in the various zones as they are all on the same floor and aren't too far from each other (living room, dining room, kitchen, deck). I'm really surprised no one makes this product. Its not like its very technically advanced or anything. They are easily available for other A/V such as HDMI matrix switches.

Edit: I had a very rare flash of brilliance! A component video matrix would do what I want with the exception of volume control. This Cables2Go 3x5 one could fit the bill.

Last edited by ljo000; 07-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Distributed audio is already a niche market - a "non-integrated" controller for multiple zones would be a niche of a niche, and is therefore not going to be cheap.

There's a lot of ways to accomplish your end goal, just not using the pieces you already have...

A multizone-capable AVR can easily run 2 or 3 zones, for example. As most of those will have built-in Internet streaming services, you might be able to use one of those instead of a Sonos.

If you're only going to use the one source, an amp hooked to a DLA4 speaker switch with its RF remote controls could be an option.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page