1Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Seeking WHA Information

Hi folks .. I had searched and read a billion posts on this subject, but the questions I have, I have not seen any answers for - I am looking for direct user experience.

I am considering one of the following systems - It all comes down to feature sets and easy of setup and use.
  • NuVo Concreto NV-I8GM
  • Russound C-Series MCA-C5
  • Xantech MRAUDIO8X8m
I want to know directly from users of these systems.
  • Why did you choose?
  • Are you using any online streamers?
  • Which controllers/keypads are you using and why?
  • Did you install and commission the system yourself? / How did that go?
Here is my scope -
  • I have 6 zones
  • We want to leverage XM online services and Spotify
  • We have a very iTunes catalog we would like to listen to
  • AM/FM Radio
  • May want local inputs in certain zones
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Because the Nuvo GC (and required MPS4) is not available through distribution (last I checked), the Russound MCA-C5 (and required Russound music server) wins. You'll pay full MSRP for the Nuvo GC and MPS4.

I have a Nuvo GC + MPS4, love it. If I had to replace it today, it would be Russound.

Have you considered Sonos? Most people are very happy with that. The only drawback to it is the lack of keypads, and if you never had KP control, you won't miss it.

I don't know anything about the Xantech unit.

I chose the Nuvo 4 years ago because they had a better music server than Russound, at the time.

I don't use iTunes, so can't say how well that integrates. SiriusXM, Spotify (tried it for a month), TuneIn (the online streaming AM/FM station aggregator), and digital music files on my NAS play well. I dropped Spotify because the lack of selection (2 years ago, better now).

You'll need the paid premium Spotify account for the Nuvo MPS4.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 367
I also have the NuVo GC + Music Port (the old, discontinued software-only version).

As Neurorad mentioned, this needs to be purchased through a dealer these days, but those are plentiful, and you might be able to get one below MSRP if you can convince a dealer that you're a good DIY customer...

I would buy the NuVo again over the Russound offerings (which are very similar in feature set these days) due to the readability of the keypads and the refreshed functionality on the MPS4. I have an XM/FM tuner, but never use it (Internet Radio wins on all counts). I keep the FM tuner attached as a backup for bad weather / Internet down - but these days the cell phone is a much better backup for information anyway. Wouldn't buy a Tuner today.

The installation is fairly easy as long as you're used to terminating RJ45 connectors and dealing with wiring in general. The configuration software is simple, and is now freely downloadable from the NuVo / Legrand website.

Jeff
timoth32 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The keypads were one reason I'm leaning against a Nuvo system. What is the refreshed functionality of the MPS? My google-fu failed me.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by datgai View Post
The keypads were one reason I'm leaning against a Nuvo system. What is the refreshed functionality of the MPS? My google-fu failed me.
The NuVo system can be controlled from the mobile app (via the MPS4) - no reason to go against it because it has keypads ALSO. Both access types have their strengths and having both, IMO, is the best solution. Guests can use keypads easily, and the keypads are always in the same place, and are especially useful in areas where you don't normally have mobile devices (bathroom).

The MPS4 firmware has been upgraded to version 5 of the Autonomic Mirage software, which adds some more streaming support and moves the cloud sync feature into the base model. The MPS4 units themselves gain larger hard drives as well.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
nuvo , Russound , whole house audio , Xantech

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page