• 1 Post By ezlotogura
  • 1 Post By SMHarman

post #1 of 5 Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Control4 multi channel amp w/o C4 controller

About a year ago I purchased a Control4 controller (Control4 C250B Control Processor) + remote control with the future desire to add the C4 multi-channel amp to my house for WHA distribution. I'm not really using all of the power of C4 at this point (no other real automation - just a very expensive all-in-one remote for my family room) so I'm debating getting rid of the system since it's so expensive and I need to pay my dealer to do anything to it (like add a new source).

My question is - if I don't have the controller, can I still buy/use the C4 multi-channel amp and all the benefits it has? Or w/o the controller it doesn't work properly?

If the latter, what would you recommend to use instead? I plan on having 5-10 zones and powering mostly with Sonos as my source, but ideally I could also pump my TV audio (from 2 different rooms) back into the WHA system so I could listen to the TV outside or in my kitchen.

Thanks!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Without the HC250, you couldn't control the Control4 amp. You might consider keeping it as it will surely grow on you. Lots of guys bypass their local dealer and purchase new/used gear from various sources and have the programming done remotely so they the don't have to incur the cost of a truck roll. There is a Control4 end user forum where you can find remote programming and gear. Keep in mind that there would be no warranties from the sellers on the gear though. Also, you would take a pretty good hit if you were to sell your C4 gear.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Ok that's what I figured, thanks for clarifying.

If I do decide to throw the $1500 out the window and scrap C4, what are other options for a matrix/amp that can power several zones? I don't want sonos amps because they are expensive and not as versatile I don't think.

Thanks!
Scott
post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 20
Smenzer - there are online dealers who can program cheaper and also sell you NEW C4 gear with a regular warranty. I am working with one now and I'd be glad to pass along the referral if you want to send me a PM.

What's nice about C4 is you can grow into it. I currently have the C4 4 channel amp and the 16x16 audio matrix. They also make all in one units but I went for separates to allow for more growth.
smenzer likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 43
If you get the multi channel amp then you have local media, rhapsody and tune in as sources.
Add the wireless music bridge a Sonos (and the EV driver)
Programming can be done by online dealer support.
You have been coping with the dealer model so far. Once set up it just works.
smenzer likes this.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Control4 , wha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page