Integrating Elan G into HAI system... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-28-2014, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Integrating Elan G into HAI system...

Looking for expert problem solver who can help! I currently have an HAI system in my house setup as shown below along with an independent system in pool house. HAI currently handles alarm, some lighting, HVAC, and Audio (HiFi2 w/ music gateway). Biggest complaint about HAI is having to manually connect iphone or other device to the RIM port somewhere in house to source the streaming audio from Pandora/Spotify. I also have found the music gateway virtually useless.

Zone 1 (Line out): Living room into Denon 3310 running 5.1 system only
Zone 2-5: Various ceiling speakers throughout house with adequate sound
Zone 6: JBL 4.5" Outdoor Patio (would like more power)
Zone 7: Polk Atrium 7 Outdoor porch (NEEDS MORE POWER)
Zone 8: Unused

Separate Pool House and Pool area
Onkyo TX801 2 zone receiver
Zone 1: Polk in ceiling speakers in Pool house w/ TV
Zone 2: Klipsch outdoor speakers

My upgrade objectives are:
1. Add dedicated source of digital streaming music (Pandora/Spotify, etc)
2. Add dedicated amp to current Zone 7 speakers (easily move to Zone 8 and add amp)
3. Add pool area to system
- New line in Zone into current Onkyo to supply source from HAI (Willing to upgrade receiver if necessary)
- New line in Zone and Add 4CH amp (want to properly feed the Klipsch) to power (2) pairs of Klipsch AW650
4. (8) camera security system around house and pool area

My installer has come up with some ideas below:
Allow HAI to continue handling alarm, hvac, and lighting. Upgrade controller to Elan G and add Fusion music server and leave all HAI components in place also adding Rainbird irrigation and Kichler landscape lighting to control. The Elan G will allow for a much more user friendly interface and give easy access to streaming music. He says shortfall of HAI system is lack of good interface for streaming music and much prefers the ElanG controller. Biggest issue is ElanG doesn't have drivers for controlling HAI Hifi2 system. This may require us to replace the HAI system and move to another amplifier platform (Elan, RussSound, Nuvo are 3 he brought up). Any suggestions on good add on distributed audio amp? He also says we can use the extra powered zones in the Denon 3313 to solve the power issue at Zone 7 (porch). I have bought into most of his ideas, the issue I have is my hifi2 is only 2 years old and it may need to be replaced which could set me back b/t 1500-3000 on new amplifier. Anyone who has any ideas on potential solutions that will allow me to keep what I have in place and just add on is much appreciated. What about adding the Sonos controller as a potential streaming source? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If I were to go to the expense of installing an Elan g! system I would relegate the HAI system to security only.

The Elan g! system is much more powerful and versatile then the HAI system when it comes to home automation.

You may want to consider a total overhaul of your approach to your whole house audio setup. If memory serves me Elan g! supports CasaTunes hardware - which is somewhat like Sonos in terms of capability.

I have a Sonos WHA setup and the primary music source used by family and friends is Pandora. I ripped our entire CD collection to a NAS unit and that is the source I mostly use.

I don't recommend using a multi-zone AVR as part of a WHA system - a dedicated system like Sonos/CasaTunes would be my approach.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page