Big prewire! - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor
  • 3 Post By cshepard
  • 1 Post By Neurorad

post #1 of 7 Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Big prewire!

The company I work for is wrapping up a big prewire in a 12,000 s.f. house. It kind of blows my mind that we ran 3500 feet of 14/4 & 1500 feet of 14/2--that's a lot of speaker wire!

We wired for 30 pairs of speakers (not including the pool/basketball court, which will most likely be 70v) making up 23 zones of audio. We wired 18 locations for HD video distribution (1 Cat6, 2x Cat5e, 1 RG-6Q). There is a dedicated theater that was wired for 9.2 surround.

The house was wired with Control4 in mind, so we have 16 in-wall touchpanel locations (the client is excited about the intercom feature), six keypad locations, and the door station.

The bundle of wire at the headend is bigger than my calf--and the coax, phone lines, & security wiring are at the other end of the house! Been doing this 10 years and it's the most wire I've ever pulled in one house.

Last edited by cshepard; 12-27-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Pics or it didn't happen!

(I know you probably can't / shouldn't post those...)
egnlsn likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 7 Old 12-27-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yeah, it happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1419714100828.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	444490  
jautor, Neurorad and SMHarman like this.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Lookin' good...

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been lurking here for a while getting ideas and will be ready to start prewiring my house within the next few weeks. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it but what I can't seem to find a great deal of information on is how do you clean up the mass of wires bundled up in the central location? Your wires look neat coming down from the attic but once the sheetrock is up what do you do with the hole in the wall where the wires come out to continue with the nice and tidy install? This job looks like way too much wire for a media enclosure (or 5) and while my job certainly won't be to this scale, I am looking at ~40 cat6, 17 coax, 12 HDMI, and speaker wire going to 6 zones and 2 sub zones so I too will have quite a few wires to clean up. Any pics from previous installs would be much appreciated.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleboeuf View Post
I've been lurking here for a while getting ideas and will be ready to start prewiring my house within the next few weeks. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do and how I want to do it but what I can't seem to find a great deal of information on is how do you clean up the mass of wires bundled up in the central location? Your wires look neat coming down from the attic but once the sheetrock is up what do you do with the hole in the wall where the wires come out to continue with the nice and tidy install? This job looks like way too much wire for a media enclosure (or 5) and while my job certainly won't be to this scale, I am looking at ~40 cat6, 17 coax, 12 HDMI, and speaker wire going to 6 zones and 2 sub zones so I too will have quite a few wires to clean up. Any pics from previous installs would be much appreciated.
Basically bbuild a patch panel.
Here is my work in progress.
Not the most pretty but will be clean when done.
Two trendnet 24 port 1ru panels will go in the gaps where the CAT is currently poking through.
You can also ads a shelf at the bottom for the cable to rest on.

Last edited by SMHarman; 01-16-2015 at 06:08 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleboeuf View Post
This thread from cocoontech.com forums may help you with ideas:

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/1...iring-project/

He ends up using something like this, a wall-mount rack:

I suggest you start a thread - may help you think out the process, and get more ideas.
SMHarman likes this.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page