• 1 Post By FlyingDiver

post #1 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting Up Pre-Wired Ethernet

Hey all

I am having some trouble finding and setting up my pre-wired ethernet in my house, and would love some help.

My house has cat5 ports in most rooms, and I was able to find the centralized hub for telephone and tv, but was not able to find the hub for cat5 distribution. I'll attach some pictures of what I found. I'm not sure if I'm just missing something, or if there is something else I should be looking for, or what the next steps should be.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5

-Evan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looks like the Cat5 for ethernet is the blue cable, while the phone jacks are connected to the gray cables.

And the blue cables all go to that same enclosure, but were never terminated into a patch panel. So you're going to need a patch panel insert for that structured wiring enclosure (that metal box), and a punch down tool to connect the wires to it.

Check out this video:
post #3 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, are there any recommended patch panel inserts? I don't have any use for home telephone lines, so I would just need one to connect data.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 PM

What you have in there now looks like one of these:

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...t/cp-h802.html

So I would just get one of these for the data side:

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...t/cp-h628.html

And you'll need:

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products...item=EC-700009
jautor likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Thank you so much for your help!
post #6 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Those data Hubs look pretty easy to use. I would try and find a way to secure those existing phone wires instead of just letting them hang there and do the same with your new Data Hub.

That punch down tool is also ideal for someone who's only gonna need it once.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #7 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Yeah, if it was me I'd clean up that cabinet. I'd probably get rid of that combo unit since it's unusable for the DirecTV cabling. And I'd probably go ahead and wire in a phone patch panel, even if I'm not using it. Just to clean it up for the future.

Last time I did a box like that, I used standoffs to mount the patch panels so I could run the cables underneath them. Made for a cleaner job.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yeah, if it was me I'd clean up that cabinet. I'd probably get rid of that combo unit since it's unusable for the DirecTV cabling. And I'd probably go ahead and wire in a phone patch panel, even if I'm not using it. Just to clean it up for the future.

Last time I did a box like that, I used standoffs to mount the patch panels so I could run the cables underneath them. Made for a cleaner job.
Kinda wondering about your comment about getting rid of that combo unit. Looks like the phones are already terminated and all he needs is a CAT patch panel. And a lot of TLC.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #9 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Kinda wondering about your comment about getting rid of that combo unit. Looks like the phones are already terminated and all he needs is a CAT patch panel. And a lot of TLC.
Well, I just get annoyed by inoperable gear. And that splitter isn't usable for Satellite signals, and maybe not for current cable signals either. Also, having both kinds of cables going to the same unit makes it harder to organize the cables neatly.

But that's just me.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, I just get annoyed by inoperable gear. And that splitter isn't usable for Satellite signals, and maybe not for current cable signals either. Also, having both kinds of cables going to the same unit makes it harder to organize the cables neatly.

But that's just me.
I get your point about neatness. But maybe that splitter is ok to leave in place if it is of the correct type and he may want to use cable someday.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-02-2014, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your input! That was one thing that bothered me when I opened it up, was the terrible cable management. Will definitely try and clean it up when I put the data hub in there!

Not quite sure what FlyingDiver meant by a standoff to mount the patch panels?
post #12 of 15 Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister iConic View Post
Not quite sure what FlyingDiver meant by a standoff to mount the patch panels?
These aren't exactly what I used last time, but they're close:

http://www.hometech.com/hts/products.../el-swns1.html

Basically, a way to raise the patch panel off the back of the enclosure so there's room behind to guide the cables. Whether you need them really depends on the design of the enclosure and the boards, and how crowded the enclosure is.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Now that I am my PC instead of my I Pad, I can see your photos much better.

Another reason to leave that splitter in place is if you are using cable internet. Looks like you have the input from outside the house connected there.You would connect your cable modem to that splitter.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Basically, a way to raise the patch panel off the back of the enclosure so there's room behind to guide the cables. Whether you need them really depends on the design of the enclosure and the boards, and how crowded the enclosure is.
Thank you, Flying Diver! That makes sense and I will for sure have to look into that!

I apologize ahead of time for my complete lack of understanding..

Something I was trying to figure out before I set this up.. What is the reason for having a data hub? Is it just for cable organization? Would I not be able to just terminate the cat 5 lines and put them into a splitter?

Last edited by Mister iConic; 08-10-2014 at 12:41 AM.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister iConic View Post
Something I was trying to figure out before I set this up.. What is the reason for having a data hub? Is it just for cable organization? Would I not be able to just terminate the cat 5 lines and put them into a splitter?
Well, you could put plugs on the wires and connect them directly to an ethernet switch. But it's a LOT easier to punch the wires down into a hub than it is to put a plug on the wires. And it's a lot easier to reconfigure the network when all you have to do is move patch cables. And it's easier to keep the wires organized as well.
Reply Home A/V Distribution