Multiple zones: simple question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Multiple zones: simple question

So I've read so much that I think I've confused myself. Hopefully this is a simple question.

I'm going to have twelve zones in my new house, with three of those zones being 5.1 or 7.1 zones. If I plan to have the surround zones run by receivers, is there a way to use the zone 2/3 outputs of the receivers to run a few of the wha zones and have them all integrate seamlessly? The block I'm having in my head is how would I seamlessly control everything? Would it just be better to use the receivers for the surround then have separate amps also connected to the in-ceiling surrounds with the speaker selectors for when I want to listen to wha?

Examples:
1. master bedroom will be a 5.1 system. Would be easy to use the zone 2 for the master bathroom and the zone 3 for the master closet.

2. Keeping room will be a 5.1system. It would be nice to have the zone 2 power the back porch and the zone 3 to power the dining room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-01-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by branan1 View Post
So I've read so much that I think I've confused myself. Hopefully this is a simple question.
It's not. But don't worry, it never is...

Quote:
I'm going to have twelve zones in my new house, with three of those zones being 5.1 or 7.1 zones. If I plan to have the surround zones run by receivers, is there a way to use the zone 2/3 outputs of the receivers to run a few of the wha zones and have them all integrate seamlessly?
"Integrate seamlessly" - not without a fully-integrated control system on top of all that gear (Crestron, Control4, Savant, etc.). Which I'm guessing based on the frugal nature of the question is probably way outside of the budget envelope...

Quote:
Would it just be better to use the receivers for the surround then have separate amps also connected to the in-ceiling surrounds with the speaker selectors for when I want to listen to wha?
Yes. And those speaker selectors can be automatic so you don't have to do anything "different" in those AVR-based zones. You can easily share the surround speakers with the WHA system, for example (assuming the surround channels are in-ceiling speakers which are typical placement for WHA usage).

For a 12-zone setup, you really want to have a consistent control scheme and sources, otherwise the whole thing will be confusing to operate.

Most important now, though, as it appears you're doing new construction, is to get all the wiring right. Do that and you'll have plenty of options.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 17 Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

I believe I've got the wiring planned. Was my question frugal in nature? Probably cause I've been thinking about how i'm paying for all of the house "upgrades" and we're just now pouring the foundation lol.

Thanks for the help. I've already got a russound r850mc. I'll probably get a couple cheaper amps to run the rest of the zones and get the receivers for the surround rooms. Then use the automatic in-line selectors and add a few more sonos.

BTW, I've got your build thread bookmarked. Your theater is awesome! I'm planning mine now too.
post #4 of 17 Old 08-02-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Was my question frugal in nature?
Not explicitly, but experience tells me that when folks try to leverage the AVRs instead of buying a WHA, it's probably due to budget...

Quote:
Probably cause I've been thinking about how i'm paying for all of the house "upgrades" and we're just now pouring the foundation lol.
Ha! And we have a winner!

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I've already got a russound r850mc. I'll probably get a couple cheaper amps to run the rest of the zones and get the receivers for the surround rooms. Then use the automatic in-line selectors and add a few more sonos.
Well, if you home-run a few 14/4 speaker wires from those AVRs back to your central wiring location, you could certainly utilize the 'stranded' zone2/zone3 capabilities for some of those rooms. Unless you were already planning to centralize the AVRs - which would make that solution obvious...

Quote:
BTW, I've got your build thread bookmarked. Your theater is awesome! I'm planning mine now too.
Thanks! And if you read the early parts you'll see it wasn't started until a few years after I built the house - so I could recover from those "upgrades" during construction!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, more confusion.

If I want to control every room individually I obviously need some sort of controller. I was looking at the nuvo essentia 6 zone - 6 source. My thought was that I could get two of those and then just plug in a streamer or a couple more sonos. How's that plan? If I really only want two or three sonos, I still need the essentia style controller, correct? That's assuming I'm not going to do volume control pads in all of the rooms. I like the app based volume controls.
post #6 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Alright, more confusion.

If I want to control every room individually I obviously need some sort of controller. I was looking at the nuvo essentia 6 zone - 6 source. My thought was that I could get two of those and then just plug in a streamer or a couple more sonos. How's that plan? If I really only want two or three sonos, I still need the essentia style controller, correct? That's assuming I'm not going to do volume control pads in all of the rooms. I like the app based volume controls.
If you're not going to install keypads, you'd need the NuVo MusicPort server (MPS4) for mobile app control, as that's where the network connectivity / app support comes from. Otherwise you'll have no control of the system.

Without keypads / volume controls in the rooms, you'll want to go with a zone-player solution using either Sonos Connect:amp or NuVo P100/200/3100 zone players - and you'll need one per room, which will also give you all the flexibility you'd ever need...

Jeff

post #7 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

12 zones = two essentia with keypad / volume controls in all of the zones. Then however many sonos I want.

That would allow me to "turn on" the zone at the keypad and then control all of the sound with my sonos. Correct? "fingers crossed"

Is there a different route that you would recommend?
post #8 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
12 zones = two essentia with keypad / volume controls in all of the zones. Then however many sonos I want.

That would allow me to "turn on" the zone at the keypad and then control all of the sound with my sonos. Correct? "fingers crossed"
Yep. You'll control volume, on/off and switch between sources with the keypads. Then use the Sonos app for music browsing. And you can hook up multiple Sonos:Connect units and choose any combination of rooms to have music playing...

Quote:
Is there a different route that you would recommend?
Using the NuVo MPS4 as the music server instead of the Sonos would get you a fully integrated solution, and you'd get metadata (title/artist/station) on the keypad displays. But that's considerably more expensive than one Sonos box - and something you can always upgrade to later...

post #9 of 17 Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you help!
post #10 of 17 Old 11-05-2014, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

So I ran three cat 6 and two rg6 to every TV location. Everything is home run to a closet. Question, what do I need to use to send the HDMI and ir to each TV location? Obviously I will need to be able to control a DirecTV box and receiver/amp from each TV viewing spot. I've looked at the monoprice HDMI/ir over cat 6 wall plates, but I'm not sure if that will work since I want to control multiple devices.

Any recommendations?
post #11 of 17 Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You can use several IR blasters from any one IR output port - so controlling multiple devices via IR is no problem. Avoid the 'unpowered' HDMI wallplates, and use extenders that require their own power supply for best results. As you've got ample cable, you can use the 2-cable extenders instead of springing for the HDBaseT versions - although those are generally the best...

Jeff

post #12 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've gone down the rabbit hole and now it seems the best way would be to use a matrix. Do you think its necessary?
post #13 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Thanks. I've gone down the rabbit hole and now it seems the best way would be to use a matrix. Do you think its necessary?
How many sources do you need on how many screens.
Does the garage tv just need tv.
Also have you considered TiVo. Gets you DVR and many streaming sourced on one box. Often enough for secondary rooms.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I had TiVo, but it doesn't work with directv or uverse, so Im not going to use it in the new house. Our cable service is terrible! Really I could probably get by with just a 6x6, but I've never seen one of those.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had TiVo, but it doesn't work with directv or uverse, so Im not going to use it in the new house. Our cable service is terrible! Really I could probably get by with just a 6x6, but I've never seen one of those.
You've leaped from remotely locating the equipment to the "need" for a matrix switch. If the only thing you're intending to provide access to is the set-top (sat/uverse/cable) box(es), you'll probably be better off without a matrix, and add enough of those receivers to cover your video zones.

post #16 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I got you. Can you run a splitter between the boxes to multiple displays? So come out of the cat6 "balun" and run into a switch that goes in a couple different locations?
post #17 of 17 Old 11-06-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok I got you. Can you run a splitter between the boxes to multiple displays? So come out of the cat6 "balun" and run into a switch that goes in a couple different locations?
You would split the HDMI signal coming out of a set-top box before it goes to the balun(s) - one balun set for each display run. Once converted to cat5e/cat6, it's a point-to-point solution.

Reply Home A/V Distribution