Mirror image on a MoCA based system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mirror image on a MoCA based system.

I have a problem that Shaw says has no solution, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone might have an idea. I have a TV that mounts on the outside of my house facing my hot tub. It's connected trough a buried coax cable that can't be changed. I recently bought the Shaw Gateway system (MoCA based), but previously had a Bell HD PVR system. Prior to the Shaw system, I could connect the coax cable to an RF Modulator, and then via RCA cables, connect the RF Modulator to the Bell PVR. All I'm trying to do, is mirror the picture from an inside TV to the outside screen, I don't want to run an extra portal outside because there's nowhere to mount it on the side of the house.

Everything worked great until I bought the Shaw Gateway system and tried to set it up the same way. Apparently with the MoCA based systems, they don't use RF, but instead its electrical based and the RF modulator makes the signal all garbled. Has anyone experienced a similar situation? If so, is there a solution to mirror one TV onto another via coax without using an RF Modulator from a MoCA based system? Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Your post is a little confusing. Is that coax ONLY used for the mirroring? Or is it also a satellite signal feed to the outside TV? If the ONLY thing it's used for is the modulated signal, you need to disconnect that cable segment from the rest of the MOCA network so it doesn't interfere with the modulated signal.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for any confusion and thanks for the reply. There is no satellite involved. I have a Shaw cable connection to a cable Gateway MoCA based system. I'm trying to mirror the image from one of the Gateway portals through an RCA connection on the back of the portal, out to an outside TV via coax cable through an RF Modulator. It used to work with my old non-MoCA based system. Apparently the RF Modulator doesn't work with MoCA based cable systems, it just garbles the signal from the portal to the external TV via the RCA to RF Modulator to coax connection. All I want is to have the same image on an inside TV mirrored to an outside TV via a coax connection. If RF Modulators won't work, is there some other way? There is only HDMI or RCA out connection options in the back of the Gateway portal. Has anyone done HDMI to coax? Would that potentially work? This is an area I've never had to look into before. Hopefully that makes more sense!

Last edited by YYC Guy; 08-02-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Sorry, I thought Shaw was satellite service in Canada.

So there's a coax cable going from the TV location to the portal location. Is "portal" what we call a cable box or set top box in the US? Is there ANYTHING else connected to that specific cable, other than the TV and the modulator? Any splitters or such? Because if that cable is ONLY used to connect the modulator to the TV, then it should not matter if the rest of you "cable" system is MOCA or not.

Does the modulator connected to the RCA jacks on the portal work to a local TV, using a short piece of cable? Maybe the problem isn't the cable, but the outputs of the portal box.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

This is an Arris based whole home HDPVR system - http://www.shaw.ca/gateway/specs/

The portal is the set top box that ties back into the main PVR which is in a central spot. The portal is plugged into a 65" plasma TV via HDMI, and then I'm trying to take the RCA output on the same portal, and send the same signal out the coax cable to a second TV outside on a straight shot connection on the coax cable by converting the RCA connection to coax through the RF Modulator. I've tried several brands of RF Modulators, and different portals (set top boxes), with multiple short cable connections, to multiple different TV's - all with the same garbled output to the different TV's. Make sense?
post #6 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Yeah, that makes sense. The problem isn't the coax or the MOCA. It's that the modulator doesn't like the output of the Arris box. First, double check that you're using the right RCA connections - yellow for the video input to the modulator, and the red/white pair for the audio.

Next step would be to shut down the portal box, disconnect the HDMI cable to the plasma, then start it up again. See if the modulator works then. It's quite possible that when the HDMI port is active, it can ONLY output an HD signal (no simultaneous down-rez to SD), and the composite video output is garbage.

Do you have any TVs with analog (composite) input? Have you tested that output from the Arris box directly into a TV without the modulator?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

It's not hooked up wrong (I've done a million of those and that's for sure not the problem), and I have one of the 4 portals hooked up to an old Sony TV using only RCA connections (non-HD), and it has the same result (I was thinking the same thing). Also, the RF Modulator light alternates from green to red as the picture flakes out. You're right, it's like it doesn't like the signal coming from the portal (that's why I was thinking it had something to do with MoCA). The exact same configuration of Modulator and wires works fine on my old HD satellite setup.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-02-2014, 07:10 PM

I don't see how it could possibly be MOCA, unless the Shaw tech is basically saying that the implementation of MOCA in these units broke the analog outputs. And if it did, you're out of luck with the portal outputs.

You could try one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Comp.../dp/B008FO7PQA

You might need an HDMI splitter as well.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
nevermind...
how about split the outlet and have shaw add a second portal to the same location as the one you are trying to rf from?

since the units would be the same one remote would control the two boxes in unison. and you would have the option of being able to have something different on the remote tv if you wanted too.
...lol

what is the model of the portal you have installed

Last edited by armoredmeat; 08-03-2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: fogot it has no rf out...
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

So apparently the Arris portals output at a very high frequency, and essentially make RF Modulators useless - nice feature!! Im going to have to do something completely different, but thanks for the feedback!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC Guy View Post
So apparently the Arris portals output at a very high frequency, and essentially make RF Modulators useless - nice feature!! Im going to have to do something completely different, but thanks for the feedback!
I don't see how that can be the case on the composite video output... If it "works" at all on an NTSC (non-HD) TV, it should work on a modulator.

Now, you said that a different box was also not working on a old tube TV set - that's at least consistent. Have you tried changing the video settings in the Gateway so that it is outputting 480i instead of 1080i/p? It's certainly possible that the composite output only works properly when the box is set for SD output only.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page