Audio from 7.1 receiver to Multi-Zone receiver at 30 feet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Audio from 7.1 receiver to Multi-Zone receiver at 30 feet

Just moved in and I'm trying to finish installing the A/V in my basement. The previous owner had a multi-zone receiver setup hooked up to 10 speakers (6 in the basement & 4 outside). All of the speaker wire for these speakers runs to a very small utility room in the basement. I have just installed a receiver (Samsung HT-F9730W) and TV (UN75H7150) in another area of the basement. The distance between the TV/Receiver and the utility closet (where all the speaker wire runs) is about 30 feet. I will need to add a new multi-zone receiver in order to get audio to the 10 speakers but I would like to be able to get audio (and audio control) from the receiver 30 feet away (connected to the TV). SO I would like my main 7.1 receiver to provide audio to the multi-zone receiver with a distance of 30 feet in between. I am trying to see if I have overlooked any options of running the audio between the two. I am pretty sure HDMI would work but running it through the walls would likely be a pain. WHDI is an option but based on many reviews it seems that for A/V it is unreliable. I'm not sure if this is the case for audio only or if there is even an audio only option available. I do have an excellent Asus router and I'm not sure if that would allow for an option to run audio from one receiver to another?

Attached is an image of the basement layout so far.

**Clarification**
Been a day and no replies. Sorry for my impatience on the question. I guess what I am really asking what ways there are to control the audio to a seperate receiver without running cable over a distance of 30 feet. I know WHDI will do it but I only read bad reviews about WHDI. However those reviews refer to audio and visual, not just audio, performance. Since both Audio and visual would be transmitted from the WHDI device I would imagine that drops and delays would still be a problem. So basically I am just wondering if there are any other methods of wireless transmitting audio to a separate receiver 30 feet away?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Receiver-to-mutli-zone-receiver.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	194673  

Last edited by devinepaul; 08-04-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What is the objective of this connection?
Connecting an AVR to an AVR is not something normally done.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies for the delayed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
What is the objective of this connection?
Connecting an AVR to an AVR is not something normally done.
The objective of the connection is to use the Samsung receiver (HT-9730W) as the audio source to the multi-room speakers. The receiver does not have a preamp. It does have an hdmi output. Pretty sure I could run the hdmi output of the Samsung to the input of a multi-zone receiver for audio. Similarly, I could probably run a wireless HDMI connection from the Samsung hdmi output to the multi-zone receiver. And I can also utilized ARC from the TV/Receiver for additional HDMI outputs if necessary.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The problem you have is that your Samsung "receiver" is a HTiB unit that doesn't have any outputs. So... what would you be sending to the multi-zone unit?
post #5 of 5 Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

HTiB's have outputs. Would be a hard sell without an output. Does not have a preamp out which is what I am pretty sure would work best in this scenario. What a lot of HTiBs do have, and what a lot of midline receivers don't, is improved network connectivity. So I was hoping someone might know of a way to transmit audio over the network thereby avoiding having to run wire to the 2nd receiver. Pretty sure something like this will become possible over time.

For right now I am going to go ahead and run an HDMI and a Optical cable to the 2nd Receiver from the output of the first receiver. Have to get an extractor to get Optical.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
amplifier , multi-room , multi-zone , receiver , whdi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page