Bought house today - I have to wire before weekend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Bought house today - I have to wire before weekend

Hello. I just bought a new home. It's currently framed up. Insulation will go in on Thursday. Builder wanted too much for wiring, but said I could do it myself if I wanted. Thus far, there is a panel box with 2 runs of cat5e wire but that's it.

Here's what I want, but I'm also lost as to what I need.

- Surround sound wiring in bonus room. I'm good here. I'm putting in 14 gauge wiring.

- I would like 2 in-ceiling speakers on the covered porch. I just want to wire it for now, and install everything else later. What do I need?

- I want to put 2 in-ceiling speakers in the kitchen. I was thinking of running the 4 in ceiling speakers (patio & kitchen) to the pantry. That's the central spot for these two areas. Good idea?

- I would like wire for security cameras to be installed sometime in the future. I want one on front porch, back porch and over garage. What do I need to wire this? Would all wires lead back to the main panel box where all the other cat5e reside?

- The kitchen, and dining room are on opposite side of house from panel box. I was thinking of putting a cat5e run from panel box over to area over ceiling for a wifi signal. Good idea?

- I was going to have 4 cat5 runs from bonus room to panel box.

- I was going to have a cat5 run to garage.

- at least one cat5 run to each bedroom

Anything else you guys can recommend? Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Coax?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I recommend you pick up the phone and call some local pros. You could volunteer to be another pair of hands. That will take a good deal of time to do yourself, especially if you need to figure out what to do first. The builder might be pricey because of his markup.

Is the power turned on in the house (you'll need to drill)? If insulation is spray foam, you'll need to secure the cables better than with batt. Expanding foam will move the cables.

Bury the cables behind the drywall, secure them so the drywallers won't cut them. Take thousands of pics before the drywall goes up, so you can find your cables easily later. Burying the cables avoids unsightly blank plates.

Pick good, inconspicuous places for wifi access points.

Don't use electrical boxes for category/Ethernet cables - use low voltage rings. Don't kink category cables.

Give yourself lots of slack in the wiring closet. Cut them to size when installing the equipment, after you move in.

+1 coax; coax and category cable to every potential TV location.

Don't use in-ceiling speakers for L-C-R channels.

I would run category cable to each potential camera location.

Maybe you could hire a pro to help with the design? An hour of his time for a couple hundred bucks?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 5 Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Run 14/4 to the speaker locations. If one run is damaged in install you can use the other and a 14/2 whip.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 161
If I understand correctly, run Cat6 instead of Cat5, you will never regret this decision.

Steve
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page