IR to 2 TV's using one source - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
IR to 2 TV's using one source

Hi

Just joined the forum and don't know if this is the proper section to post. If not Mod please move it to where it should be.

I have a DTV H25 receiver that has IR on the front of the receiver and a 3.5mm output on the back. You can only use one or the other and not both at the same time. I need to feed 2 TV's and am using 2 HDbaseT extenders that does HDMI and IR to both TV's. I am able to get audio/video to both TV's but need a solution to get IR to both TV's. What are my options?
dr3am is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
Hi

Just joined the forum and don't know if this is the proper section to post. If not Mod please move it to where it should be.

I have a DTV H25 receiver that has IR on the front of the receiver and a 3.5mm output on the back. You can only use one or the other and not both at the same time. I need to feed 2 TV's and am using 2 HDbaseT extenders that does HDMI and IR to both TV's. I am able to get audio/video to both TV's but need a solution to get IR to both TV's. What are my options?
Haven't used them myself, but many HDbaseT units include IR emitters to use at the "business" end to change channels on the cable/dish box. Does yours not include this? For example: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 (the 2 additional cables in the pictures with the rectangular blocks on the ends)

EDIT: I'm assuming the DTV receiver is directly connected to one of the 2 TVs
smcmillan2 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes they did include them. Only problem is that the IR on the front of the receiver is very small and I can not put both of them on the front of it. I have tried putting half of each one over the IR and no go.
dr3am is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
Haven't used them myself, but many HDbaseT units include IR emitters to use at the "business" end to change channels on the cable/dish box. Does yours not include this? For example: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 (the 2 additional cables in the pictures with the rectangular blocks on the ends)

EDIT: I'm assuming the DTV receiver is directly connected to one of the 2 TVs
No. The DTV receiver is in a hidden location away from both TV's. I am using a HDMI Splitter/Amp to feed the 2 extenders.

Last edited by dr3am; 08-06-2014 at 07:15 PM.
dr3am is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Member
 
smcmillan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Farmington, MI
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
Yes they did include them. Only problem is that the IR on the front of the receiver is very small and I can not put both of them on the front of it. I have tried putting half of each one over the IR and no go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3am
...The DTV receiver is in a hidden location away from both TV's
OK, gotcha. Do you have the ability to hang the emitters out in front of the DTV receiver by a couple of inches? That should allow them to work, so long as they stay facing the front of the receiver.

What is the make/model of the HDbaseT units? You may be able to get smaller emitters that will allow 2 on the IR of the receiver.
smcmillan2 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
OK, gotcha. Do you have the ability to hang the emitters out in front of the DTV receiver by a couple of inches? That should allow them to work, so long as they stay facing the front of the receiver.


What is the make/model of the HDbaseT units? You may be able to get smaller emitters that will allow 2 on the IR of the receiver.
I will give that a try. I can make a little bracket out of plexiglass.


I am using Zigen model Zig-HVX-70. They will only work with a certain brand receiver that was purchased separately. I have a box of all different kinds of cheap to expensive ones but had to call Zigen to get the correct one. They only supply the emitter for the end the TV is at not on the source side.
dr3am is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
Yes they did include them. Only problem is that the IR on the front of the receiver is very small and I can not put both of them on the front of it. I have tried putting half of each one over the IR and no go.
Xantech dual-source "twin plug" IR emitter ($10):



http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...itters/282TPD/

Exactly for this type of application, and it works great...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Xantech dual-source "twin plug" IR emitter ($10):



http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...itters/282TPD/

Exactly for this type of application, and it works great...

Jeff

That is exactly what I was looking for. I will order one up and see if it works. Any first hand knowledge if it works with Zigen?
dr3am is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr3am View Post
That is exactly what I was looking for. I will order one up and see if it works. Any first hand knowledge if it works with Zigen?
No, but it's a simple IR emitter, it would be hard for it not to work...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
jautor is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No, but it's a simple IR emitter, it would be hard for it not to work...
I'll give it a shot. It's a 50/50 chance as these extenders are very picky about what emitters will work with them. Something about a low voltage emitter will work according to the engineer I spoke with at Zigen. I will update once I give it a try.
dr3am is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Xantech dual-source "twin plug" IR emitter ($10):



http://www.xantech.com/Infrared/Infr...itters/282TPD/

Exactly for this type of application, and it works great...

Jeff

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help!!
dr3am is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off