1Likes
  • 1 Post By SMHarman

post #1 of 4 Old 08-06-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hardware Suggestions for Ceiling Speaker System

I'm looking to wire multiple rooms (constructing a house) with stereo speakers in the ceiling. Something along these lines are what I've found so far http://www.htd.com/Products/multi-pu...-speakers#more.

The problem comes with the audio source. Ideally it would just be an aux in to a small amp, then out to the speakers, but a wireless solution is needed along with android support (no airplay). The Sonos Connect:Amp seems right especially with wifi streaming, but I'm not a fan of their restrictive app or the $500 price tag. It seems Bluetooth is the only option. I can't find a well reviewed amp with 75ish watts per channel and bluetooth support. Ideally a whole room (speakers + amp) would be sub $400. Any ideas, or am I completely off track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
How many is multiple rooms?
So 400x rooms is the budget. What is the total.
Is this background or more critical listening.
Speakers go from $60 a pair up.
Do you want to be able to stream the same source to multiple rooms? Your current plan would not really allow this.

Sonos is a good plan but your budget is tight for multi room.
500 for source like Sonia and 100 per pair of speakers so 600 a room gets what works really well. Either Sonos. Control4 or something with more room room grow.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
At the moment it is only two rooms, a kitchen and master bath. The main purpose would be background music or sometimes spoken word. Neither really call for high fidelity, so my main concern is the source. The rooms aren't close so syncing sound isn't really needed, but a strong reliable connection is. Not at all impressed by Sonos: overpriced, underpowered, and app-bound. I'm open to a multi-source / multi-zone central receiver/amp as long as the range isn't compromised.
For a local source option, I've been looking at the Lepai LP7498E as the amp. http://www.cnet.com/news/lepais-tiny...reak-the-bank/ Plenty of power for stereo at 8 ohms and would keep the cost down. Does anyone have any experience with one? Considering taking advantage of a return period to test it out...
post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
But background needs no more power than a sonos Amp. 75wpc is a lot for background.

Have you used Sonos? There is a lot to like about it and if you don't want to be L1 tech support it is a great solution.

It is also expandable.

There are other similar solutions but for 2 rooms you are not really lookin multi room.

Beyond that you could create a lot of friction points. Volume control over here. Cant make phone call on phone while streaming music.

This really depends on if you want to save a couple of hundreds bucks and have something only you remember what to set and press to use or something you just open the app and hit play. If you want everyone in the house using it you need the latter.
jautor likes this.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page