Looking for WHA upgrade advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for WHA upgrade advice

When our house was built in 1998 we had a WHA system installed. It is a Kustom 4640. It is 4 source 6 zone and 20 wpc. We only had 5 zones of speakers installed. Subsequent to that, one of the zones where there were speakers (bonus room over garage) got its own 5.1 system, so the WHA speakers in that zone are no longer used. Kustom was bought by Nuvo and this product has been discontinued for quite some time. When it was working, we were happy with it. Our wiring is 4 conductor speaker from the amp location to each keypad location, then two conductor to each speaker. Currently the speaker wire is spliced together and does not interact with the keypads. There is cat5 from the amp to each keypad, but it is terminated the old Telco way. I do have the tool to reterminate the cat5. Currently 2 zones work as they should and can cycle through the 4 inputs. One zone can cycle through the 4 inputs but will only output to the right speaker. The other 3 zones cannot cycle through the inputs and can only output one of them. I spent some time trouble shooting and the problem stays with the amp outputs when you swap around cat5 and speaker wire connections. All 5 zones will work if they are connected to one of the two functioning outputs on the amp. The right speaker only issue will move to whatever zone you connect to that output on the amp. So currently I have 2 zones that can receive all four inputs, and 3 zones (one of which is not really being used) that can only receive one input.

I am considering the following options:

1. Buy two Sonos connect amps for $1000 and 4 volume controls for about $100. One connect amp would run the pool zone and the patio zone. I would never listen to different music in these zones, but would want to be able to adjust the volume of each zone independently. The second connect amp would run the Master BR and Master Bath. Again, I would probably never listen to different music in these two zones. One of my inputs to the current WHA (and my main 5.1 system) is a Sonos connect. I also have Sonos gear at a vaction place. Sonos is probably used 80% of the time as the input to the WHA. I could use the three line ins to add in the two satellite receivers (occasionally used for WHA system) and the CD player (never used) so I could match the 4 inputs I currently have with the Kustom, only better because I could be listening to two different Sonos streams. Also the wpc would be slightly higher than the Kustom. If I ever wanted to I could add more connect amps and have one per zone. Control would be the Sonos app and the manual volume controls.

2. Buy the HTD mid level system for $1000. This system seems the closest to what I have. It has 6 sources instead of 4 (not sure I would use 6), 6 zones, and the wpc are the same as the Kustom. Also you can access the system with a web browser, so control would be better than what I have now, although I would have to bounce between that and the Sonos App.

3. I could rewire the inputs to the Kustom. All sources would go to my Yamaha Aventage 3000 receiver. Zone 2 and 3 outputs from the Yamaha would be inputs to the Kustom. I could allocate the working Kustom channels to the MBR and MBA and they could use either zone 2 or zone 3. The pool/patio could only use zone 2, but at least this way the MBR/MBA could listen to something different than the pool/patio. The advantage to this is no cost, but the system is still somewhat crippled. Control would be the Sonos App and the Yamaha receive App

4. Open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I decided to go with the Sonos solution. Crutchfield has a deal right now where if you buy a Connect:Amp you get a pair of Polk OWM3 speakers for free. So I have two pair of free speakers on the way as well.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page