HDMI Switch with CEC and Receiver, will it work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDMI Switch with CEC and Receiver, will it work?

So here is what I am having trouble with. And I feel like I can't find another post somewhere online with the same issue.

I have a Toshiba 40 inch TV with 3 HDMI Ports (forgot model but its a few years old)

Port 1 is for Google Chromecast
Port 3 is for Onkyo HT-390 Receiver

The Onkyo HT-390 has 4 HDMI inputs and 1 output (port 3 on TV)

Onkyo HT-390 has following devices currently:

Sony PS3
Sony Blu-Ray (yeah i know the PS3 can do blu-ray)
Roku 2
Verizon FIOS DVR

This leaves me with just 1 port open.
Right now it seems all would be well because the newest addition to my setup is a RaspberryPI running XBMC. (RaspBMC)

So big deal, I have one HDMI port left on my TV.
The TV remote can control the XBMC, Sony Blu-Ray, etc. (using CEC)
The TV remote can switch the inputs on the Onkyo HT-390 (using CEC of course)

Here is where my problem lies.
My TV doesn't support ARC (its a few years old), I have a TosLink cable from the TV to the receiver.
So if I'm watching youtube on my Chromcast or Even broadcast TV with 5.1 audio, I get surround sound just fine. But my TV will not pass any 5.1 format via the TosLink cable if the source is an HDMI port (tested with multiple devices and researched this before)

So, with XBMC on port 2 of my TV, I have to downmix content to 2 channel or else the Onkyo won't get all of the channels.

----------
My Too Long Didn't Read question:
Are their any HDMI switches that support CEC?
I want all devices to be plugged into my receiver (do to the limitation of my TV) but still want the ability to control and switch to the devices using my TV remote via CEC technology.

I tried one switch off of amazon but it seems to block the CEC communication even on the active device so with a XBMC attached, I have to plug in a keyboard or a wireless mouse to control XBMC.

Has anyone else run into this strange combination of issues?

I really don't want to have to upgrade my receiver/TV or both right this second, but next time I do, I will make sure I have 15 HDMI ports.

Attached pic related: using TV remote to select input source on Onkyo Receiver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140807_213825.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	202089  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

After doing a-lot of Google-fu since my original post, it seems there are HDMI Switches out there that support CEC. I think this is exactly what I need. I just can't seem to find a good one anywhere.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post
Update:
After doing a-lot of Google-fu since my original post, it seems there are HDMI Switches out there that support CEC. I think this is exactly what I need. I just can't seem to find a good one anywhere.
As you toil away at this, let the rest of us know which ones to consider/avoid. I too am looking for some HDMI switching options involving a chromecast and I'd like to avoid having to experiment too much.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-30-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
As you toil away at this, let the rest of us know which ones to consider/avoid. I too am looking for some HDMI switching options involving a chromecast and I'd like to avoid having to experiment too much.
Hey, sorry just saw this reply now.

I went with a monoprice model. It will pass CEC but it won't autoswitch the way I want it to. I'm probably just going to move some devices around.

Right now when you turn on the TV, it turns on my onkyo as expected, but then the onkyo turns on and switches to the HDMI switch. The hdmi switch then switches to the my XBMC (raspbmc) device.

I haven't analyzed the traffic on the CEC channel to see what is going on but i will and post it here.

The model I have is: HD411-E3

I'm happy to report that:

XBMC <--> Monoprice HD411-E3 <--> Onkyo <--> Toshiba TV

: allows the Toshiba remote to control my XBMC raspberri pi setup.

If there are any questions please ping me. I've been hacking at the CEC tools on the XBMC box.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi404 View Post
I went with a monoprice model. It will pass CEC but it won't autoswitch the way I want it to. I'm probably just going to move some devices around.
How is not doing what you want?
Quote:
Right now when you turn on the TV, it turns on my onkyo as expected, but then the onkyo turns on and switches to the HDMI switch. The hdmi switch then switches to the my XBMC (raspbmc) device.
And this isn't ideal? When you power up the Onkyo is it just defaulting to the HD411 switch? Is the AVR then causing the switch to power up? When it comes on, is the switch also just defaulting to the input that has the RasPi connected?

If you start 'casting to the Chromecast, does the HD411 get switched automatically?

I suppose the next interesting question is whether or not you can send instructions to the TV that would make it all the way through to the HD411 switch and be able to change it's inputs. Is that possible? That'd be a neat trick...
post #6 of 6 Old 10-08-2014, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
How is not doing what you want?

And this isn't ideal? When you power up the Onkyo is it just defaulting to the HD411 switch? Is the AVR then causing the switch to power up? When it comes on, is the switch also just defaulting to the input that has the RasPi connected?

If you start 'casting to the Chromecast, does the HD411 get switched automatically?

I suppose the next interesting question is whether or not you can send instructions to the TV that would make it all the way through to the HD411 switch and be able to change it's inputs. Is that possible? That'd be a neat trick...
So I haven't tried to control the switch directly via CEC from the pi, but when the TV turns on, sometimes the PI switches the monoprice switch and the receiver so that the XBMC / PI is the device displayed when you turn the TV on. If I stream a chrome cast video it will switch the monoprice device so that it is the displayed device but that doesn't channel up stream to the onkyo. Overall I'm happy. I just need to see what I can do so the XBMC / PI doesn't takeover every single time the TV gets turned on. I rather the last source be displayed. I'll post more details here once I have more time to play around with it all.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
hdmi switch cec receiver tv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page