Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Angry HELP!! Super Frustrated!!

Here is what I want....
I have a 60" Sharp tv, Onkyo receiver, Blu Ray player, cable box, and Computer hooked up in my living room. I have 2 outdoor speakers on my patio as a Zone 2. I want to put a tv outside to show whatever image is on my tv in the living room, kind of like a zone 2 for video. Simple solution is a video output to a video input on the other tv, however my tv does not have any video outs.

I refuse to believe there is no way around this... Someone has to have a solution here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Macak View Post
Here is what I want....
I have a 60" Sharp tv, Onkyo receiver, Blu Ray player, cable box, and Computer hooked up in my living room. I have 2 outdoor speakers on my patio as a Zone 2. I want to put a tv outside to show whatever image is on my tv in the living room, kind of like a zone 2 for video. Simple solution is a video output to a video input on the other tv, however my tv does not have any video outs.

I refuse to believe there is no way around this... Someone has to have a solution here!
Use one of the other video outs on the cable box
post #3 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is everything running through your Onkyo (blu ray, cable box, PC are inputs, and 1 HDMI output to your Sharp)? If so, just do a 1x2 HDMI splitter on the output of the receiver.

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #4 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I only have 2 HDMI inputs on the receiver, so the cable box and blu ray go into the receiver, then the receiver to the tv. The computer has to run straight to the tv's hdmi input, then I use audio outs to the receiver when using the computer. Which is why I can't just use an HDMI splitter on the receiver to 2 tvs. Has to go from one tv to the other...
post #5 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Then go the other way, get a 2 source x 1 output HDMI switch. Connect the PC @ another source to it, connected to one input on the receiver, and the remaining source on the remaining input. Then, do the 2x1 splitter on the output. Or, get a 3 or 4 input switch to cover yourself, and to not have to switch the input on your Onkyo..

Xbox Live: oktober rust | Mii: 5207 2388 9861 4135 | Steam ID: detroit820 | Origin ID: oktoberrust11

post #6 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
No idea how expensive they will be, but you can get 2x2 HDMI switches (2 inputs and 2 outputs) where the selected input is sent to both outputs, so you'd run the AVR and computer to the HDMI switch inputs, then output to two TVs. You won't find many (if any) display devices with a video-output.

Alternatively, if an AVR upgrade is due in the near future, do it now (most current models have 4+ HDMI inputs) and then you can use a simple HDMI splitter.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure I understand how that would work...

So I have a splitter that has my pc and the blu ray player both going into the first HDMI input on the receiver... How does the receiver know which signal to put to the tv?
post #8 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand how that would work...

So I have a splitter that has my pc and the blu ray player both going into the first HDMI input on the receiver... How does the receiver know which signal to put to the tv?
Most HDMI switches are auto-sensing, so whatever device is sending signal, that will be pushed through. If they both happen to be doing so, and it's the incorrect one, there is a button on the switch to change sources.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 View Post
Most HDMI switches are auto-sensing, so whatever device is sending signal, that will be pushed through. If they both happen to be doing so, and it's the incorrect one, there is a button on the switch to change sources.
This seems promising... Now are all brands of switches basically the same as far as quality?
post #10 of 22 Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really, but for inexpensive, generally effective solutions, it's hard to beat monoprice.com.

As Ormy eluded to, you could do a true matrix switch (4x2) as well.

Plenty to choose from: http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...rd=hdmi+switch

post #11 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I use this 4x2 HDMI matrix switch, You can select the same source or different sources at each location.....works great.

Vin
post #12 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I use this 4x2 HDMI matrix switch, You can select the same source or different sources at each location.....works great.
Vin, this seems like a good deal. So tell I'm thinking of this correctly... I connect my computer, cable box, and blu ray player into the inputs. The 1st output would go to my receiver's input. My receiver then goes to my main tv. This would give me sound from my theater system to surround in living room and sound to zone 2 outside on any given source.... then 2nd output on HDMI switch could go to 2nd tv outside. I believe this would let me play music on the computer on the inside tv along with all the speakers (zone 1 and 2), and be able to to watch espn through the cable box on the outside tv. Right?
post #13 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Vin, this seems like a good deal. So tell I'm thinking of this correctly... I connect my computer, cable box, and blu ray player into the inputs. The 1st output would go to my receiver's input. My receiver then goes to my main tv. This would give me sound from my theater system to surround in living room and sound to zone 2 outside on any given source.... then 2nd output on HDMI switch could go to 2nd tv outside. I believe this would let me play music on the computer on the inside tv along with all the speakers (zone 1 and 2), and be able to to watch espn through the cable box on the outside tv. Right?
Correct.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What is the model of Your Onkio receiver
post #15 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blakis View Post
What is the model of Your Onkio receiver
My receiver is the HT-R550. It is part of the HT-SR800 system.
post #16 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My receiver is the HT-R550. It is part of the HT-SR800 system.
Brandon, I assumed you were already running some of your components directly to your Onkyo AVR, hence, I also assumed it was capable of accepting audio via HDMI but in light of your response to Andrew's question, I see that is not the case.....your receiver only has HDMI pass through for video so you'll need to make a separate connection for audio for each of your components.

In this case, there's really no benefit in connecting the output of the HDMI switch to your receiver, just go directly to your TV and then make your separate audio connections to the receiver. Actually, this is exactly how I have mine hooked up (I also have an older Onkyo with HDMI pass through only). The 2nd output that you're planning on running directly to the TV on your patio won't be an issue, i.e., the HDMI cable will carry both audio and video directly to it.

Vin
post #17 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Also I know it's more pricey but as mentioned if a receiver upgrade is in the near future a lot of the mid - higher grade receivers have 4+ inputs and dual outs to do exactly what you want. I'm doing it at work for a conference room with a denon 4333 (or maybe 3333ci) and it works perfect as it has a built in matrix.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Brandon, I assumed you were already running some of your components directly to your Onkyo AVR, hence, I also assumed it was capable of accepting audio via HDMI but in light of your response to Andrew's question, I see that is not the case.....your receiver only has HDMI pass through for video so you'll need to make a separate connection for audio for each of your components.

In this case, there's really no benefit in connecting the output of the HDMI switch to your receiver, just go directly to your TV and then make your separate audio connections to the receiver. Actually, this is exactly how I have mine hooked up (I also have an older Onkyo with HDMI pass through only). The 2nd output that you're planning on running directly to the TV on your patio won't be an issue, i.e., the HDMI cable will carry both audio and video directly to it.
I am running my components through the Onkyo via HDMI for video and RCA for sound (except the computer because I only have 2 inputs at this point). I know I could run the HDMI cords straight to the tv, but then I'd be switching the input source on the tv and the AVR when I switch from one to another. This way, the Onkyo automatically switches it for me. Just one less button to press.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Here is what I want....

I believe the simplest and most elegant solution is to get a better receiver.. something that does proper HDMI handling and has 2 outs

ive seen them go for as little as $200 via slickdeals
post #20 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohj View Post
I believe the simplest and most elegant solution is to get a better receiver.. something that does proper HDMI handling and has 2 outs

ive seen them go for as little as $200 via slickdeals
I do agree with you... however, I'm more incline to spend 50-70 bucks on a HDMI matrix than 200-400 on a receiver.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am running my components through the Onkyo via HDMI for video and RCA for sound (except the computer because I only have 2 inputs at this point). I know I could run the HDMI cords straight to the tv, but then I'd be switching the input source on the tv and the AVR when I switch from one to another. This way, the Onkyo automatically switches it for me. Just one less button to press.
Sure, but if you decide to go with the HDMI matrix switch it would make more sense to bypass the receiver and go directly to your TV with HDMI for video. You won't have to switch inputs on your TV but you would have to switch sources via the HDMI switch for video and the receiver for audio. With a macro capable remote this is quite simple to accomplish.

Another suggestion is that you use the digital audio connections of your receiver for your Blu-ray player and your cable box rather than analog audio, allowing you to play those sources back in Dolby Digital.

Vin
post #22 of 22 Old 08-13-2014, 07:35 AM

Three sources, two panels, two audio zones.
The setup mentioned by Vin is a lil bulky but will do the job just fine.
Also upgrade of the receiver is an option. There are couple of them on the market that will handle that type of the set up.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page