Pre-wiring & room help needed for a newbie please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2014, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pre-wiring & room help needed for a newbie please

We just signed up for a new home and I have a few questions (some stupid). You can know from my qs that I'm worse than a newbie Your help is appreciated. Also, their prices are ridiculous and not sure if I would be able to negotiate on the prices.

House details:

Recreation room in basement level (11'x11' - unusable)
Main level - Living room (15x19) + open kitchen
3 Bedrooms in 3rd floor (Master - 14 x 14)
4th bonus bedroom - 23 (or 25) x12

PORTS:
Already included:
4 single outlets (Cat5 or Coax)

Upgrade :
Upgrade all 4 to dual ports for $500.
Additional dual port : $250
Additional single Cable port : $185
Verizon Fios Pre wire 1 x 2COND and 2nd CAT5 - $199

Questions:
1. I only need 1 outlet/port for phone, right?
2. What is the Verizon Fios Pre wire 1 x 2COND and 2nd CAT5?
3. How many extra ports would I need for the whole house? Single or dual.

HDMI TV Pre wire:

Prices:
Electrical outlet - $125
2 x 6' HDMI prewire termination brush wall plates : $295

Questions:
1. How many HDMI would I need? I would think Living, Master, 2nd bedroom & 4th level bedroom
2. If I decide to do it later, can I?
3. Do I put electrical outlets in the other areas: 3rd bedroom, kitchen dinnette?
4. If I dont want to pay for the HDMI prewire, what are my options?

Surround Sound Pre wire:

Prices:
5.1 Surround Pre wire - $995
7.1 Surround Pre wire - $1150

Questions:
1. Which room do I set this up if I decide to go fro this ridiculous prices: Living Room or Master Bedroom or Bonus 4th level bedroom?
2. Do I prewire for 5.1 or 7.1?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is our first purchase & would love do it right. Thanks so much for your help & insight. I really appreciate it.

Harish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 418
The prices were not out of line with typical builder quotes, until I got to the Surround pre-wire <eek>! The problem with builder pre-wired surround packages is that they almost always place the speakers in the worst possible spots.

Post a floor plan, you'll get much better feedback and suggestions if we can see what you're dealing with. But a total of 4 outlets in the basic package for a 4-bedroom house is unbelievable.

Don't bother with HDMI prewiring for distribution - a run between a wall mount and an AV cabinet in the same room, sure. But for long (>25') runs at these prices, you're better off running cat5e and using HDBaseT extenders for video distribution if and when you actually need it.

Make sure every potential TV location has power and at least one cat5e and coax (RG6). If you want to wall-mount the TVs, a "power bridge" or similar product can be used later, but works best when there is furniture placed below the TV (to conceal the cables that exit the wall).

1) Get to know your project manager once you're assigned one and/or construction begins. Lots of things that the sales office say are "impossible" can turn into "no big deal" when you deal direct with your guy.

2) Concentrate on the areas of the house that are inaccessible from attic/basement/crawlspace. Make sure they have adequate wiring or flex conduit to allow more cabling later. You'll also want to ensure a pathway exists from wherever all this wiring terminates (the distribution panel, likely in a closet).

3) See if they can offer a price on running flex-conduits to key AV locations. That may be cheaper than multiple wires - and allows for great future-proofing.

Jeff
harish7447 likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 08-14-2014, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
The prices were not out of line with typical builder quotes, until I got to the Surround pre-wire <eek>! The problem with builder pre-wired surround packages is that they almost always place the speakers in the worst possible spots.

Post a floor plan, you'll get much better feedback and suggestions if we can see what you're dealing with. But a total of 4 outlets in the basic package for a 4-bedroom house is unbelievable.

Don't bother with HDMI prewiring for distribution - a run between a wall mount and an AV cabinet in the same room, sure. But for long (>25') runs at these prices, you're better off running cat5e and using HDBaseT extenders for video distribution if and when you actually need it.

Make sure every potential TV location has power and at least one cat5e and coax (RG6). If you want to wall-mount the TVs, a "power bridge" or similar product can be used later, but works best when there is furniture placed below the TV (to conceal the cables that exit the wall).

1) Get to know your project manager once you're assigned one and/or construction begins. Lots of things that the sales office say are "impossible" can turn into "no big deal" when you deal direct with your guy.

2) Concentrate on the areas of the house that are inaccessible from attic/basement/crawlspace. Make sure they have adequate wiring or flex conduit to allow more cabling later. You'll also want to ensure a pathway exists from wherever all this wiring terminates (the distribution panel, likely in a closet).

3) See if they can offer a price on running flex-conduits to key AV locations. That may be cheaper than multiple wires - and allows for great future-proofing.

Jeff

Thanks so much. Appreciate it.

I have attached the floor plans for the main floor, bedroom & bonus floors. Would love to hear back from you & others.

Also reg. HDMI prewire option, just to make sure I understand, I don't have to opt for this one, right?

2 x 6' HDMI prewire termination brush wall plates : $295

I will read up on Flex Conduits to make sure I ask the right questions. Any other points I need to discuss with the Wiring people. Please let me know and thanks again.

Harish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor-plan.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	211945  
Old 08-14-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Re-size that image and upload it. Too small to see...

On the "2 x 6' HDMI prewire termination brush wall plates : $295", that sounds like a PowerBridge install. If that's a 6' cable to drop down from behind a TV to a wall plate, you can do that yourself for <$80 total (and really under $20 if you want). If that includes a power outlet behind the TV, that will be half the cost, so may be worth it for the hassle. But if that doesn't include a recessed AC power outlet - not worth it.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Harish7447, listen to jautor. He gives good advice.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Re-size that image and upload it. Too small to see...

On the "2 x 6' HDMI prewire termination brush wall plates : $295", that sounds like a PowerBridge install. If that's a 6' cable to drop down from behind a TV to a wall plate, you can do that yourself for <$80 total (and really under $20 if you want). If that includes a power outlet behind the TV, that will be half the cost, so may be worth it for the hassle. But if that doesn't include a recessed AC power outlet - not worth it.
Sorry about that. Re-uploaded. Hope it's better this time.

It doesn't include the outlet, outlet is $125.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	29
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	213209  
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not - trim the image to just the floorplan (no white space), then upload that.

If the HDMI cable runs are only 6' and just include a brush plate on each end, that's worth about $20. And will take you about an hour to do yourself. Look at the Arlington TV Bridge kits or any solution from PowerBridge.

Jeff

Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It's not - trim the image to just the floorplan (no white space), then upload that.

If the HDMI cable runs are only 6' and just include a brush plate on each end, that's worth about $20. And will take you about an hour to do yourself. Look at the Arlington TV Bridge kits or any solution from PowerBridge.

Jeff
Oh no! Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	46
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	213345  

Last edited by harish7447; 08-15-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Jeff
Sorry to bump the thread. But Jeff, my last upload looks much better. Did you get a chance to look at it. Please give your recommendation. Would love to get your input.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Step back and tell us what you want to be able to do, A/V wise...

Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Step back and tell us what you want to be able to do, A/V wise...

I would like to know where to setup the 7.1 prewiring.....Living room (15' x 19') or the 4th level bedroom (21' x 12') or both rooms?

I'm not sure what else to do with respect to pre-wiring. Any help on this would be perfect.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish7447 View Post
I would like to know where to setup the 7.1 prewiring.....Living room (15' x 19') or the 4th level bedroom (21' x 12') or both rooms?
I don't know - where do you want to have a 5/7.1 setup? No one can answer that for you - but if the room is not accessible from an attic space later, it will cost more to add it later (although, at their prices, it's kinda close). Again, be careful with these pre-wires - you must be able to choose and sign off on the speaker / wire locations - otherwise they WILL be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harish7447 View Post
I'm not sure what else to do with respect to pre-wiring. Any help on this would be perfect.
If you want a reasonable amount of future capabilities, make sure you have at least one cat5e/cat6 accessible from any usable wall in each room (within reason). And for display locations, at least one coax as well.

Jeff

Old 08-18-2014, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I don't know - where do you want to have a 5/7.1 setup? No one can answer that for you - but if the room is not accessible from an attic space later, it will cost more to add it later (although, at their prices, it's kinda close). Again, be careful with these pre-wires - you must be able to choose and sign off on the speaker / wire locations - otherwise they WILL be wrong.

If you want a reasonable amount of future capabilities, make sure you have at least one cat5e/cat6 accessible from any usable wall in each room (within reason). And for display locations, at least one coax as well.

Jeff
Thanks so much. I have decided to have dual ports in all rooms but one (CAT5E & Coax). Not sure if they have CAT6, but will enquire. I think the 4th bedroom is a better option to have the pre-wiring, but not sure where to place the speakers. I guess have to figure it out or ask them. Thanks again.