Identifying Wires in a Pre-Wired Home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Identifying Wires in a Pre-Wired Home

Greetings,

Grateful for any help with this...

On the back wall of my house, in the patio area, there are two electrical cover plates; one at each end of the patio. Behind the cover plate are two wires; I assume these are for outdoor speakers. I'd like to hook these to my stereo but I don't know where the wires go. Without buying a toner/prober, does anyone know of a way to trace the path of the wires so I can find where they terminate?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by billv1 View Post
On the back wall of my house, in the patio area, there are two electrical cover plates; one at each end of the patio. Behind the cover plate are two wires; I assume these are for outdoor speakers.
Are they speaker wires? Cat5e? But yes, it's likely they're for speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billv1 View Post
I'd like to hook these to my stereo but I don't know where the wires go. Without buying a toner/prober, does anyone know of a way to trace the path of the wires so I can find where they terminate?
1) If those are the only known speaker location(s) that were pre-wired, they will likely go to a primary AV location - like the family room TV jacks - look for another blank plate. If the house has a structured wiring panel, check there or nearby. Less likely are utility rooms, pantry, other 'hidden' locations that also have AC power available.

2) You say the plates are "at each end of the patio". On the wall of the house? On the ceiling of a covered patio? You'll want to get in the attic and see if you can find wires come from that area. Look closely at the wires behind the plate so you can identify they by color and cable type.

3) A probe will not help you find wires unless you're within inches or feet of them (depending on the probe type) - you're going to have to do #1 and #2 regardless...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you jautor!

The wires are not Cat5. They appear to be speaker wires.

There are other cover plates inside the house and I've been successful figuring those out (I installed small surround system speakers using the prewiring in the den).

Yes, the plates are on the outside brick wall of the house; not the ceiling.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
If there are other speaker wires in other rooms, not counting the surround locations, they very likely all go to the same place.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page