Structured Wiring Satellite Question - AVS Forum
Home A/V Distribution > Structured Wiring Satellite Question
bens993's Avatar bens993 05:07 PM 08-18-2014
I have some questions regarding choosing a module to distribute satellite signals in a structured wiring panel. I have 2 dishes one is SD and one is HD according to DISH. One dish has a single LNB which connects behind the 2nd dish with 2 LNBs. I have 2 feeds from the dish's to the house. Im looking to find a module that will take the signal from the 2 LNBs and distribute to at least 6 locations. So far I can only find splitters and a Legrand module but it only passes 1 LNB feed to 1 location.
http://www.homecontrols.com/On-Q-Leg...acket-OQVM7634

There are plenty of these modules for CATV but satellite requires a different frequency. If anyone has any experience and our recommendations let me know. Im only going to include network and DBS. Not interested in using a combo board with telco.

Appreciate any recommendations.

acesat's Avatar acesat 06:57 PM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens993 View Post
I have some questions regarding choosing a module to distribute satellite signals in a structured wiring panel. I have 2 dishes one is SD and one is HD according to DISH. One dish has a single LNB which connects behind the 2nd dish with 2 LNBs. I have 2 feeds from the dish's to the house. Im looking to find a module that will take the signal from the 2 LNBs and distribute to at least 6 locations. So far I can only find splitters and a Legrand module but it only passes 1 LNB feed to 1 location.
http://www.homecontrols.com/On-Q-Leg...acket-OQVM7634

There are plenty of these modules for CATV but satellite requires a different frequency. If anyone has any experience and our recommendations let me know. Im only going to include network and DBS. Not interested in using a combo board with telco.

Appreciate any recommendations.
With Dish Network, what you want isn't really feasible. The wiring is almost always configured in some specific, stupid way.

With individual receivers, every receiver needs a line out to the dish, if there aren't enough ports open on the dish then you use a DPP44 switch. If the receivers are dual tuners that run multiple TVs (722, 222, 322, etc), then typically there is a device called a Diplexer, that has to be connected in a certain way to route the satellite signal. If you have the hopper, then just like with a Diplexer it has to be cabled a specific way. You can't really use high frequency splitters with dish apart from special cases connecting many switches to a single dish.
bens993's Avatar bens993 05:33 PM 08-29-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesat View Post
With Dish Network, what you want isn't really feasible. The wiring is almost always configured in some specific, stupid way.

With individual receivers, every receiver needs a line out to the dish, if there aren't enough ports open on the dish then you use a DPP44 switch. If the receivers are dual tuners that run multiple TVs (722, 222, 322, etc), then typically there is a device called a Diplexer, that has to be connected in a certain way to route the satellite signal. If you have the hopper, then just like with a Diplexer it has to be cabled a specific way. You can't really use high frequency splitters with dish apart from special cases connecting many switches to a single dish.
What components should I use. Do you recommend any brands and models? I have the hopper system.

Ben
Blindman0v0's Avatar Blindman0v0 06:08 PM 08-29-2014
Should be able to use a regular DiSEqC switch like one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISEQC-FTA-D...item1c0636b49f
I've installed quite a few FTA sat systems and back in the day that dishnet was hacked I use to setup a lot of them to view them. I'm not familiar with djshnets receivers or menu system but they should have a spot in their where you can setup the DiSEqC switch. A simpler system id to just buy a motorized fta system with a 36" dish and then you won't need the one DiSEqC switch that you have out at the 2 dishes now.
Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/39-MOTORIZED...item4a9b563d58
acesat's Avatar acesat 06:23 AM 08-30-2014
There are no components you need to buy because you can't really do what you want (split the satellite feed into every room). I'm not really sure why he linked that FTA dish/switch because the Hopper requires a Dish Pro Plus switch. Doesn't really matter since with the hopper/joey system you need to have a receiver at every tv location. If you're trying to mirror a TV off a receiver then you're no longer distributing satellite signal and you would use CATV splitters and modulators.
FlyingDiver's Avatar FlyingDiver 06:34 AM 08-30-2014
This should help:

http://www.mydish.com/support/at-the-home-diagram

You need the full array signal going to the Hopper, but the Joeys only need the MOCA signal. If you have one Hopper, a Solo Node and a splitter should work. If you have more than one Hopper, you need the Duo Node and possibly a splitter if you actually have more than 4 devices.
acesat's Avatar acesat 01:39 PM 08-30-2014
A node is something that his installer provided, and should have been connected the proper way. The signal coming from the dish must connect to your node, since you have 2 cables it is likely a solo node. There should be no splitters or other signal flow devices between the dish and the node. Then from the Host port of the node should go either directly to the hopper, or to a tap/isolator if your installer needed to use one. At no point is there a module or splitter that allows you to move the hopper around to multiple rooms depending your mood. The joeys, however, operate in the UHF band and can/must be connected to the node using a regular CATV splitter if you have more than 1. You could use a 6 or 8 way splitter to connect those extra rooms and they would be "ready" for a joey in the sense that you could move a joey from room to room. If you want the equivalent of a networking switch you're SOL. On the other hand, Directv's SWM technology works exactly how you described using special high frequency Directv splitters.

I find it not surprising, even intentional, that dish produced a wiring diagram (from FlyingDiver's post before mine) that makes the hopper seem simpler than VIP series receivers. I much prefer the hopper to old receivers but the first wiring diagram has a lot of unnecessary junk included that they left out of the hopper diagram. They make it seem like old receivers need a 1000+ dish, 4 cables, and a DPP44 switch. The entire left side of the first wiring diagram on any modern install is identical to the hopper diagram all the way from the dish to the ground block so forget all that mess with the 44 switch. Then they include the sling link turbo for an internet connection which I haven't used in years because all you need is a usb wifi adapter plugged into the back of the receiver. But they're specifically going for clutter, so why not also show romex on the diagram too!? They even show the power cords from the tv... Then you look at the hopper diagram and it's nice and tidy and clearly that's purposeful. Both Dish and Directv are a bunch of confidence tricksters through and through. A distant friend of mine was telling me about a job offer as a subcontractor with dish and he was going over the details and they outright lied to him on several important points. I warned him of what to watch out for but sometimes you can't tell an eager, determined person what they don't want to hear. /rant
Up
Mobile  Desktop