Testing for Continuity for wire to outdoors - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Testing for Continuity for wire to outdoors

I've looked at many YouTube videos on how to test for continuity of a speaker wire or other wires using a voltmeter but they all conveniently have the wire ends within 3 inches of each other. I had my house pre-wired with speaker cables to go from my stereo cabinet to an outdoor box and am now trying to set it up. One cable works and the other doesn't. I want to ensure that there is a break in the cable but I'm not sure how to do it. The cable has 3 conductors (black/white/grey) and I'm using the Band W. How do you use a voltmeter to check if these conductors are intact and it's not connections? Do you use the ohms setting and twist 2 conductors together and test them at the other end? Is there a way to just attach the voltmeter at the end of one conductor and do something at the other end to indicate that the wire is not broken? I'm sure this pretty basic but I've been search the web for a couple of hours and have found little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNit View Post
Do you use the ohms setting and twist 2 conductors together and test them at the other end?
Yes. If you get a reading of 0 ohms, you've got continuity. But you could also have a short between the two wires, so test the wires before you twist one end together - you should see 'infinite' ohms.

Quote:
Is there a way to just attach the voltmeter at the end of one conductor and do something at the other end to indicate that the wire is not broken? I'm sure this pretty basic but I've been search the web for a couple of hours and have found little.
Attach a 9V battery to one end and you can test for 9V at the other end.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page