AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Home A/V Distribution (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/)
-   -   HDMI dummy plug (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-home-v-distribution/1653409-hdmi-dummy-plug.html)

curlyjive 08-21-2014 05:51 AM

HDMI dummy plug

Not sure where this goes, but this seemed the best fit.

I need a device that fools my HDMI 4x2 matrix switch into think there is something plugged into another input. I use the switch to feed a TV and PJ that support different features. I only run 1 input in to the switch. What I need to do is to set the switch so that when one display is on and using input 1 on the switch, input 2 gets sent something on input 2. This way the two displays don't "see each other." I do this now by plugging a ROKU into inout 2, but I'm rewiring and want to eliminate that.

I found this and was wondering if anyone has tried something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-H...A3J2VUK9571N8X

jautor 08-21-2014 06:44 AM

That won't work - it's a display emulator (sink), not a source emulator...

But what problem are you trying to solve? What do you mean by "see each other" - that they select the same source and cause AV changes due to common denominator?

curlyjive 08-21-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jautor (Post 26756689)
That won't work - it's a display emulator (sink), not a source emulator...

But what problem are you trying to solve? What do you mean by "see each other" - that they select the same source and cause AV changes due to common denominator?

Yes. My Tv does not do 24p. So even if the TV is off and the PJ is on, if the HDMI switch is set to send input 1 to both displays the PJ will get the lowest common denominator. So If I plug a ps3 into input 2 on the switch, even if the ps3 is off, I can select input to for the tv when it's off and the two displays don't "see" each other. This is how I have always worked around this issue and it works but I am looking for a better way so I don't have to run a device into the switch and run that's devices audio separately over optical/coax to the AVR.

I'm not sure that it matters it the HDMI plug I linked is a display emulator. As long as the switch sees something is plugged into it and allows me to move to that input it might work.

Is there something else that might work better?

jautor 08-21-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26759081)
I'm not sure that it matters it the HDMI plug I linked is a display emulator. As long as the switch sees something is plugged into it and allows me to move to that input it might work.

The problem is that it's not a "source", so the switch isn't going to see it as such... At least, I don't expect that it would help you (the 'sink' reports data to a source, not vice-versa).

I think the best solution would be either a new switch that supports EDID spoofing / presets, or an HDMI Detective (or similar) to put inline with your display so that it reports support for /24p. Neither are cheap solutions. A display upgrade might be a better investment! :D

curlyjive 08-21-2014 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jautor (Post 26759545)
The problem is that it's not a "source", so the switch isn't going to see it as such... At least, I don't expect that it would help you (the 'sink' reports data to a source, not vice-versa).

I think the best solution would be either a new switch that supports EDID spoofing / presets, or an HDMI Detective (or similar) to put inline with your display so that it reports support for /24p. Neither are cheap solutions. A display upgrade might be a better investment! :D

Yeah that's not in the cards! I just spend way too much upgrading to a JVC RS4910 and oppo 103D:D.

It is far cheaper for me to keep the PS3 or the spare ROKU I have plugged in to input 2.

What about just a redmere cable with nothing on other other end? Since it's active, would the switch see something connected to it? I have tried a passive cable and if I plug a laptop into it and switch to that input, the switch will allow it to stay on that input even when I remove the laptop....until I go to switch and switch back.

An HDMI detective is about $100 I think. Might be worth it at some point. Though my ROKU is just sitting collecting dust and can do the same thing. Or since I no longer need the PS3 for blu ray and only the occasional game, it's not the end of the world to pass optical to the AVR and use it's HDMI output to input 2. I see what you are saying about the HDMI display emulator. You're probably right, but as with all things HDMI you never know what might happen!

jautor 08-21-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26760009)
What about just a redmere cable with nothing on other other end? Since it's active, would the switch see something connected to it?

Nope. It's active only in the sense that it's equalizing the signal - from the outside world it "looks" just like a regular cable.

Quote:

An HDMI detective is about $100 I think. Might be worth it at some point. Though my ROKU is just sitting collecting dust and can do the same thing. Or since I no longer need the PS3 for blu ray and only the occasional game, it's not the end of the world to pass optical to the AVR and use it's HDMI output to input 2. I see what you are saying about the HDMI display emulator. You're probably right, but as with all things HDMI you never know what might happen!
The Detective would be the best solution as it would always work - you don't have to switch the old display off the input to get the /24p support. Note that even the Detective solution still requires your source to have /24p selected (I don't recall the prioritization order for frame-rate) - not sure an 'automatic' mode would get you there...

curlyjive 08-21-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jautor (Post 26760577)
Nope. It's active only in the sense that it's equalizing the signal - from the outside world it "looks" just like a regular cable.

The Detective would be the best solution as it would always work - you don't have to switch the old display off the input to get the /24p support. Note that even the Detective solution still requires your source to have /24p selected (I don't recall the prioritization order for frame-rate) - not sure an 'automatic' mode would get you there...

So how does the detective solve this issue? Do I plug it into input 2 with no source connected to it, or do I need to run it in line with input 1 (my actual used input)? I use VGA EDID boxes here at work and you need to run the source through them. But If I do that and set it to 24p, how will it tell the TV to accept 60p?

Just trying to wrap my head around the wiring scheme

jautor 08-21-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26762369)
So how does the detective solve this issue? Do I plug it into input 2 with no source connected to it, or do I need to run it in line with input 1 (my actual used input)? I use VGA EDID boxes here at work and you need to run the source through them. But If I do that and set it to 24p, how will it tell the TV to accept 60p?

No, the detective would go on the output that serves your display, so that it reports the display as supporting 1080/24p (even though it doesn't).

curlyjive 08-21-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jautor (Post 26762561)
No, the detective would go on the output that serves your display, so that it reports the display as supporting 1080/24p (even though it doesn't).

Ok that makes more sense. And it also reports that it supports 60p as well, since that is what it actually needs? Is there one you recommend?

jautor 08-21-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26762697)
Ok that makes more sense. And it also reports that it supports 60p as well, since that is what it actually needs? Is there one you recommend?

Yes, you "make up" the EDID (or use one of several well-known profiles), so you have it report everything you need it to...

The Gefen HDMI Detective is the gold-standard one (I haven't used it personally, but it's well known).

FlyingDiver 08-21-2014 10:40 AM

FYI, the Gefen HDMI Detective is less than $80 at Amazon.

curlyjive 08-21-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver (Post 26763281)

I saw that. So if I went this direction, I could probably get rid of the matrix switch altogether and just go with and simple HDMI 2x1 splitter box. Does that make sound correct?

I have one that I originally bought and ran into the EDID issue with 24p so I ended up with the matrix switch.

curlyjive 08-21-2014 10:56 AM

Well maybe not so fast with the splitter i have. My Pj can accept a 4K input and uses E-shift to process it. The results are pretty good. Even though mono price does not specify that matrix switch for 4K, I actually can pass a 4k signal directly from my macbook pro to the switcher and to the projector successfully. I'd need to get a 4k splitter as well.

curlyjive 08-21-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDiver (Post 26763281)

Hold the phone...I think there is problem with using this. Since my oppo is set to auto output 24p, if the HDMI detective says the tv supports 24p, it will try sending it and fail. That means having to switch settings on the oppo each time. Or am I missing something?

jautor 08-21-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyjive (Post 26764609)
Hold the phone...I think there is problem with using this. Since my oppo is set to auto output 24p, if the HDMI detective says the tv supports 24p, it will try sending it and fail. That means having to switch settings on the oppo each time. Or am I missing something?

Yup. You're hitting the base issue with trying to share HDMI sources with displays with different capabilities.