What cables to distribute for modern home? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What cables to distribute for modern home?

I'm trying to plan for a new construction project for my home. While the walls are off, I would like to install all the necessary cables. I'm trying to decide the type of cables and the quantity necessary to run throughout the house. I'd like to say I want to future proof the home, but I think at this point, that a futile goal.

The home is a two story row house with a roof deck, 3 bedroom, about 2200 SQFT. I have a centrally located laundry room which will have all of the electrical and networking in it, so it makes sense to have the A/V there as well. The living room is also ~ 30 feet from the laundry room so I will hide the AV receiver and equipment in there as well. My initial thought is to have an AV receiver in each of the bedroom closet's and from there have short runs of 5.1 audio and video to each bedroom. This will also give each room the flexibility of having whatever aux device connected to the receiver in the closet for personal consumption (...thinking xbox 1080/ps6 or whatever the future brings). I don't use cable, so I'm debating if I need to run RG6 through the home - maybe just run it to the closets in case next owner wants cable / satellite. I would only use it for the modem.

CAT 6
HDMI
Audio, Twister Pair
Audio, Optical - From TV back to receiver for smart TV 5.1 audio
CAT 6 w/PoE - Security Cams, VOIP, WiFi AP

Any thoughts or advise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post
I don't use cable, so I'm debating if I need to run RG6 through the home - maybe just run it to the closets in case next owner wants cable / satellite. I would only use it for the modem.
You don't use it TODAY - but what if you changed your mind? Don't be "weird" when it comes to wiring - make sure you've got everything wired normally (cat6 and RG6 to each room, not the closets) where everyone would expect it to be, then add wires for your specific purposes.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
You don't use it TODAY - but what if you changed your mind? Don't be "weird" when it comes to wiring - make sure you've got everything wired normally (cat6 and RG6 to each room, not the closets) where everyone would expect it to be, then add wires for your specific purposes.

Jeff
I'm not sure how weird it will be in 3 years when everything will be complete. Uverse/Dish/Direct TV has receivers that transmit video wirelessly to the boxes. Whenever Com-crap gets off their ass and modernizes it's archaic set top boxes, they should have the same thing.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I'm not sure how weird it will be in 3 years when everything will be complete. Uverse/Dish/Direct TV has receivers that transmit video wirelessly to the boxes. Whenever Com-crap gets off their ass and modernizes it's archaic set top boxes, they should have the same thing.
Wireless video transmission is not the goal. It's more bandwidth limited than either coax or UTP, and subject to more interference. I have DirecTV, and I deliberately did NOT install their wireless system. Those wireless clients are designed for locations where you don't already have a cable, and can't install one for various reasons. Depending on them for all your needs is foolish, IMO.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're basing your plans and future capabilities on the expectation that the cable co will "modernize" in a timely fashion, I would like to point out a flaw in your logic...

While you MAY be able to accomplish most or all of you *known* needs with wireless equipment, that solution will certainly be more expensive, and likely inferior (in features, quality, reliability, etc.) to a wired solution. And again, if you want to switch providers - you want to have the basic, ubiquitous wiring in place so you don't lock yourself into one vendor's solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Wireless video transmission is not the goal. It's more bandwidth limited than either coax or UTP, and subject to more interference. I have DirecTV, and I deliberately did NOT install their wireless system. Those wireless clients are designed for locations where you don't already have a cable, and can't install one for various reasons. Depending on them for all your needs is foolish, IMO.
I forgot to mention that every room will have two gigabit drops + additional ones for voip. Assuming the hardware will have a NIC, that's a non issue.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If you're basing your plans and future capabilities on the expectation that the cable co will "modernize" in a timely fashion, I would like to point out a flaw in your logic...

While you MAY be able to accomplish most or all of you *known* needs with wireless equipment, that solution will certainly be more expensive, and likely inferior (in features, quality, reliability, etc.) to a wired solution. And again, if you want to switch providers - you want to have the basic, ubiquitous wiring in place so you don't lock yourself into one vendor's solution.

Jeff
Thanks, I think I will have to reassess immediately before the install to see where the industry is headed.

Any other thoughts on cabling? Should I run a wire for IR emitter or any other peripherals?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Any other thoughts on cabling? Should I run a wire for IR emitter or any other peripherals?
If you think you might want another cable for keypad control or IR emitters, just run another UTP. Cat-5e probably, maybe Cat-6 depending on costs.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that every room will have two gigabit drops + additional ones for voip. Assuming the hardware will have a NIC, that's a non issue.
That's an assumption I wouldn't make, personally. Especially for Cable or satellite TV providers. I have no experience with FOIS type installs.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I think I will have to reassess immediately before the install to see where the industry is headed.
The point it the industry is not predictable, but knowing their design target (consumers in residential construction-style homes assumed to have cat5e and RG6 to most rooms), you want to "be like everyone else".

Quote:
For most everything else except speaker runs a cat5e wire will do the job. So if you've got multiple cat5e cables to most locations, you'll likely have one to spare for the miscellaneous needs like IR repeating.

Jeff

post #11 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 272
What ever you decide to do now, I'd run everything in at least a 1" conduit, larger depending on the number of cables you want to install now or in the future. I wouldn't run HDMI because that format will be changing again in the near future and distance will also be a factor. I'd install CAT-6/6e (RG-6 if necessary as well) because you can run pretty much anything over CAT-6, HDMI, ethernet, etc. Install a pull string for future cable pulls and keep your bends to a minimum. You may have to do HDBT for the HDMI connector ends, which can be a bit pricey, but well worth the cost and effort down the road. That's about as close to "future proofing" your cabling you can get.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page