Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ceiling Speakers & Placement

Hi there,

We're in the process of doing a fairly substantial renovation and addition to our house and since the walls will all be open I thought now would be the perfect time to install whole home audio and home automation. I've been doing research for about six months and am amazed at how much there is to learn. My question today (I'm sure that there will be more...) concerns the ceiling speakers for my soon-to-be-built kitchen and family room.

I have marked up the attached layout with where I think the speakers should go in each room. Having no practical experience with this however I'd appreciate some input from you guys. The speakers will be used for background music only (unless someday I'm forced to move the home theater stuff from the family room to the basement...)

1) Do I need 4 speakers in each room given the dimensions or is that overkill?
2) Should I change the kitchen to a couple of stereo speakers instead of separate L/R speakers?
3) I am thinking about using Monoprice 6034's but I know nothing about speakers. The reviews seem good and the price seems right but again, I know nothing.

The plan is to wire everything back to a server room in the basement. I haven't decided (or really looked too much at) what will drive the speakers yet.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-24-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Mark,

IMO 2 sets in a kitchen that size is overkill for background music, I would move a set into the eat-in kitchen.

2 sets are probably warranted in the family room...

-Mario
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markl007 View Post
Hi there,

We're in the process of doing a fairly substantial renovation and addition to our house and since the walls will all be open I thought now would be the perfect time to install whole home audio and home automation. I've been doing research for about six months and am amazed at how much there is to learn. My question today (I'm sure that there will be more...) concerns the ceiling speakers for my soon-to-be-built kitchen and family room.

I have marked up the attached layout with where I think the speakers should go in each room. Having no practical experience with this however I'd appreciate some input from you guys. The speakers will be used for background music only (unless someday I'm forced to move the home theater stuff from the family room to the basement...)

1) Do I need 4 speakers in each room given the dimensions or is that overkill?
2) Should I change the kitchen to a couple of stereo speakers instead of separate L/R speakers?
3) I am thinking about using Monoprice 6034's but I know nothing about speakers. The reviews seem good and the price seems right but again, I know nothing.

The plan is to wire everything back to a server room in the basement. I haven't decided (or really looked too much at) what will drive the speakers yet.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
I would likely move the Family Room Speakers inwards from the corner of the walls. If the speakers you have are intended as pairs, this makes a difference as well. Have A1 and B1 and a full mirror or flip should occur for the A2 and B2 speakers... This way A1 stares at B2 and B1 at A1. I'm in a setup mode for my current system (new build). It seems like the two in the kitchen is the way to go. I have a 5.1 setup for upstairs in my living just off the kitchen (one big open area), and intend to use the ceiling speakers in "party mode" to distribute audio throughout.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback.

A couple of further questions now as this weekend I discovered Dolby Atmos. I have been reading as much as I can but the 201 page thread is rather intimidating.

1) Is it possible to use the ceiling speakers in the family room for both whole home audio and Dolby Atmos? My original plan was to have two separate audio systems in the family room: the ceiling speakers driven the WHA system (perhaps Sonos) in the server room and a standard 7.1 setup driven by an AVR in the family room. Can I still do that but share the ceiling speakers between the two devices? If so what do I need?

2) Since I will have the whole ceiling open should I pre-wire/vapour barrier box for additional Atmos ceiling speakers at the same time? And are there recommended locations for ceiling speakers beyond the initial 4? The cost is pretty minimal to rough in a few more locations now, I just don't know where they should go.

Thanks,
-Mark
post #5 of 6 Old 09-02-2014, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Having more speakers may be overkill but it also yields better coverage with less hotspots.

Keep the 4 speakers in the kitchen if you can afford it.

A good rule of thumb for background speaker placement is to divide your room into 3rds, length and width wise. Place the speakers at the intersecting points.

In regards to having your family room a surround room. I have seen rooms with separate speakers for background music and surround systems, it really clutters up the space and makes your ceiling full of holes. You can use the surround system as a background music zone, you just need to have some planning of how you want to control it and how you want to use the rooms and zones.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl007 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

A couple of further questions now as this weekend I discovered Dolby Atmos. I have been reading as much as I can but the 201 page thread is rather intimidating.

1) Is it possible to use the ceiling speakers in the family room for both whole home audio and Dolby Atmos? My original plan was to have two separate audio systems in the family room: the ceiling speakers driven the WHA system (perhaps Sonos) in the server room and a standard 7.1 setup driven by an AVR in the family room. Can I still do that but share the ceiling speakers between the two devices? If so what do I need?

2) Since I will have the whole ceiling open should I pre-wire/vapour barrier box for additional Atmos ceiling speakers at the same time? And are there recommended locations for ceiling speakers beyond the initial 4? The cost is pretty minimal to rough in a few more locations now, I just don't know where they should go.

Thanks,
-Mark
You can use an auto A/B switch to share the speakers amongst multiple amps. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...P43hoC6M_w_wcB
Reply Home A/V Distribution