AVS Forum banner

Nuvo Grand Concerto has me stumped after working perfectly for 5 years

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  oktoberrust11 
#1 ·
Hi Guys. I built my home about five years ago and being a electrical contractor I was able to purchase my Grand Concerto via a distributor.Everything had been working great. I finally got my custom AV rack installed which called for disconnecting the components of the Nuvo system. This process took a few days so the units were powered down for some time.
I had everything in its new place (no cables or components changed.....same av room just a nicer rack)powered up the NV-18GM and proceeded to reinstall the nuvo net connections,the T2 Tuner,IPOD dock etc.

Thinking I was home free I went my keypads and got the Nuvo Net Not Detected and V2.57 which I believe was the firmware last time it was updated.
Confused by this I downloaded the most recent configurator and firmware and installed it. My keypads updated to V2.66. I proceed to to check everything out and now the keypads all read Connection Failed and V2.66p.
I went back through and unplugged each keypad from the nuvo net block and checked each keypad one at a time. If I proceed in this manner I get the keypads to show the time,my sources and even can get the amp to power the speakers. I have zero control over the stations of the tuner but can toggle through the sources and adjust volume. I continued in this manner until all the keypads were connected and powered up. I noticed at this point different zones acting funny,volume not responding,sources changing but not the keypad display.
I powered the NV-18GM down again and back on and all the keypads read connecting and then all read connection failed V2.66p.

Any ideas........this system has worked flawlessly for so long. I try to give it a nice new AV Rack as a home and boom.
Does it sound like the main unit is locked up ?

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you have a bad connection on one (or more) of the keypads or the NuVoNet sources. NuVoNet is a "bus", so one bad connection can affect everything. Since you can get some/most of the keypads to work and control volume / select sources, it appears your GC unit is fine.

You say you can't change stations on the Tuner - start there. If you disconnect the T2 tuner from NuVoNet, can you control the iPod dock (any other NuVoNet sources?).

When I installed my system I saw similar behavior on the keypads (connection failed) - traced to one poor connection/termination in one RJ45 connector which took down the whole bus. Note that NuVoNet wasn't intended to be a hot-pluggable system, so you should power down the GC before adding/removing NuVoNet devices or keypads.

If anything, disconnect half of the keypads and sources, and see if that works. Then power down and try the other half. Divide and repeat until you isolate the (likely) one bad connection.

Jeff

#4 ·
It sounds like you have a bad connection on one (or more) of the keypads or the NuVoNet sources. NuVoNet is a "bus", so one bad connection can affect everything. Since you can get some/most of the keypads to work and control volume / select sources, it appears your GC unit is fine.
I installed zones 7 & 8 on my GC this weekend; upon doing so, got the NuvoNet not detected on ALL keypads. After initial internet searching and panic subsided, found this recent thread that I must have missed. Unplugged the 2 new keypads, and the other 6 came back online. Long story shorter, must have had a bad batch of mod 8 ends, after replacing 4 ends on the same keypad, finally got all green lights on my cheap little tester. Plugged the 2 new keypads in again and all is good.

The internet is good.

Reactions: jautor
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.