cat 5 over hdmi problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
cat 5 over hdmi problem

hi there i am a satellite engineer,, have a customer who purchased a home with cat 5 points at behind tv.
i have single feed cat5 - hdmi converters which work fine on his 26 inch sony , and small 19 inch , but when i plug these into his older 40 inch jvc , they dont give a stable picture.
constantly work for a minute or 5 ,,, then snow , when the picture fails, then back again then gone again continuosly ..
i have changed all hdmi resolutions 480-1080p, all the same i have tried all settings on the cat 5 transmitter and recievers for distance. yet the cat5 -hdmi works perfectly on the other screens regardless of settings on transmitter and reciever.

my question is , is the 40 inch jvc made in 2005 simply to old for hdmi -cat5 tech,
or is the fact that its a larger screen it takes more power from the system , and maybe the cat5 -hdmi converters cant produce the power the screen requires..

any help here is much welcomed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by albhoy78 View Post
hi there i am a satellite engineer,, have a customer who purchased a home with cat 5 points at behind tv.
i have single feed cat5 - hdmi converters which work fine on his 26 inch sony , and small 19 inch , but when i plug these into his older 40 inch jvc , they dont give a stable picture.
constantly work for a minute or 5 ,,, then snow , when the picture fails, then back again then gone again continuosly ..
i have changed all hdmi resolutions 480-1080p, all the same i have tried all settings on the cat 5 transmitter and recievers for distance. yet the cat5 -hdmi works perfectly on the other screens regardless of settings on transmitter and reciever.

my question is , is the 40 inch jvc made in 2005 simply to old for hdmi -cat5 tech,
or is the fact that its a larger screen it takes more power from the system , and maybe the cat5 -hdmi converters cant produce the power the screen requires..

any help here is much welcomed...
I have successfully run dual Cat6 -> HDMI over 100ft. Cat5 is more sensitive to interference. Make sure the wire is not coming in contact (or is near) electric wiring. How long are the runs? Is a second run available for dual connections to a converter?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hi there thanks for your reply ,, no its only set up for single feed cat 5 ,, i didnt install this system , it was pre installed in this customers house before he moved in ,,, the distance is probally 20 meters or so ,, i cant tell if they a routed near electrical cables as they are all behind the walls..

i doubt there is anything wrong with connections or wiring as , i have taken the 26 inch sony from his bed room to his living room , and on this screen picture is perfect, with the same cat 5 -hdmi , same patch cables and hdmi cables..
i did try premade patch cables and cables i made, also tried several different hdmi cables all with same result
post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The 40 in tv to where the bedroom spot is?

Some tv's don't like some baluns.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Unfortunately it is likely the case (as the OP suggested) that the JVC will never work right with extenders. At least not with the current ones in use. However, replacing the extenders could very well be throwing good money after bad. I'd highly recommend buying a cheap 40" Samsung or the like and calling it a day

Sent with Tapatalk... Pardon typos and terseness
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page