Confused about House Ethernet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Confused about House Ethernet

Just bought a new house that appears to be hardwired for ethernet. Would like to use the ethernet ports, so that I can set up two wireless networks, since the signal on the fourth floor of my townhouse is not very strong. But, I don't know where to begin.

Pictures are attached. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet3.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	232489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	232497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	232505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Your yellow wires all terminate into a network patch panel, so you just need to place your wireless router here, connect your modem, and some short RJ45 Ethernet patch cables to those jacks to make each room (wherever those go) live. In one of those rooms, you can add a Wireless Access Point (which can be a 'router' placed into 'bridge' mode - basically turning off the functions you can't duplicate on your network) to get better WiFi coverage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
As jautor said you really only want one wireless network. You'll need two wireless access points though - probably two wireless routers.

First, set up your wireless router down by the modem and the wiring closet. Configure it the way that you normally would. At this point you have a 'regular' wifi network running. Hurray.

Next you need to figure out what all the wires do and where they go. Looking quickly at your diagram the blue wires should all be for telephone jacks so don't try to use them. The yellow wires look like they are terminated in a network module so those are the ones that you'll need to work with. Each yellow wire will correspond to an ethernet jack somewhere in the house. To make any of those jacks connect to your wired network you need patch cords which you will then plug in between the jacks in the wiring cabinet and the router. Whichever ports in the cabinet you connect to the router will then become part of the wired network.

The trick for you will be in figuring out which yellow wire runs up to the 4th floor. Luckily it's fairly straightforward to do. Go up to the 4th floor and plug in some network something (like a laptop). Then go back to the cabinet and take a patch cord, plug one end into a free port in the router and the other into one of the jacks where the yellow wires terminate. If you get lights on the router for the port then you've found the right jack. If not, move to a different yellow jack. Repeat until you find it. (Then go back and move the laptop to another jack and repeat the whole thing. Then label your findings so you know where each jack goes.)

Once you've done that you have to configure the wireless access point that'll go in the 4th floor. If you have a spare wifi router kicking around that will work fine but you'll need to configure it differently (turning off a lot of the router stuff). Each router will have different setup options so you'll need to do some googling. Then once you have it all set up and working write down all the settings!

Good luck.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakirby View Post
Just bought a new house that appears to be hardwired for ethernet. Would like to use the ethernet ports, so that I can set up two wireless networks, since the signal on the fourth floor of my townhouse is not very strong. But, I don't know where to begin.

Pictures are attached. Any help would be much appreciated.
Which floor is your distribution box located? Depending on where it's located, you may be able to install your wireless router at the distribution box and get 4th floor coverage.

What make/model is your wireless router?

What make/model is your modem?

Provide a pic of one of the wall plates to get an idea of what jacks are provided in your rooms (e.g., coax, RJ45, RJ11).

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 80
OP,

Up and running?

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page