post #1 of 21 Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Why Multiple Coax Drops?

I've read several times where people recco "at least 1 preferably 2" coax/RG6 drops to all TV areas and am curious, why is this?

The only thing I use Coax for right now is cable, and one per TV area seems to be plenty so am curious what the other would be used for (unless one planned on running say satellite/OTA and cable or multiple sources)?

Thx

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-30-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Correct, the main reason to have multiple coax runs today is to allow for a combination of video providers (Sat, CATV or OTA), or Radio (Sat or AM/FM). Historically, dual coax runs were necessary for dual-tuner satellite receivers, but newer technology has made that unnecessary in most cases.

I would still recommend two coax drops to primary AV locations, but for other spots, one is probably sufficient. But if you're doing the wiring yourself, just keep adding runs until you use up the leftovers on your spool...

Jeff
egnlsn likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 21 Old 08-30-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
The only thing I use Coax for right now is cable...
The operative part of that sentence is "right now."

Multiple drops opens up a whole bunch of options, ie: OTA (broadcast) or satellite in addition to cable. Some people have both satellite services, while others have cable, satellite, and OTA (would require 3 cables). Who's to say that, say, in a year you might decide to check out OTA? With all of the multicast channels available (most of the services aren't available on cable or DirecTV or Dish Network), you might decide to do that in addition to cable.

A second cable would allow you to easily distribute something (say a Bluray or DVD player) through the whole house.

Future-proofing

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I think of it more backward proofing.
With my tv distro centralized and by HDMI, HDBaseT or even just CAT (for TiVo Mini) the reason I ran coax was so any future owner of my home did not think I was weird.
egnlsn likes this.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-02-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You never know when a COAX run will come in handy - now or in the future.

With new builds I run four each of CAT6 and RG6 to each potential AV location.

Wiring is cheap when the walls are still open.

And don't overlook redundancy - sometimes cables get damaged.
egnlsn likes this.

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #6 of 21 Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys. Main reason is that I have to have the builder run the additional drops, and they charge an arm and a leg. E.g., $100 per additional Cat6 drop. So while I'm trying to keep an open mind for the future, I'm also trying to balance the books sort of speak! Unfortunately they won't let me in to do my own wiring, insurance reasons I assume. They also won't allow me to put a conduit up to the attic, which is friggen ridiculous but they simply won't do it.

Was mainly wondering if there was something outside of cable/OTA/satellite that I was missing in my analysis as to why Coax would be needed.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #7 of 21 Old 09-02-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Thanks guys. Main reason is that I have to have the builder run the additional drops, and they charge an arm and a leg. E.g., $100 per additional Cat6 drop. So while I'm trying to keep an open mind for the future, I'm also trying to balance the books sort of speak! Unfortunately they won't let me in to do my own wiring, insurance reasons I assume. They also won't allow me to put a conduit up to the attic, which is friggen ridiculous but they simply won't do it.

Was mainly wondering if there was something outside of cable/OTA/satellite that I was missing in my analysis as to why Coax would be needed.
Well builders sometimes can be inflexible that is true.

But always look at the cost of the wiring in relation to the value of the home as a whole.

Let's say the house will be worth $500,000.00 when complete. Adding $100 to, say, 10 locations is $1000.00 or .2% of the total.

And if for some reason you needed to do that AFTER the house was complete - lots, lots more.
egnlsn likes this.

post #8 of 21 Old 09-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

But at $100 a drop I would only run one to most tv locations and run 3 to any media closet location.

At 100 a drop (is that per outlet or per cable) the tv needs one coax. TWO shielded CAT6 (that would be two 5e and one 6 if I were pulling myself )
post #9 of 21 Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
But at $100 a drop I would only run one to most tv locations and run 3 to any media closet location.

At 100 a drop (is that per outlet or per cable) the tv needs one coax. TWO shielded CAT6 (that would be two 5e and one 6 if I were pulling myself )
Well there is no right or wrong.

Shielded is fine if you are prepared for the extra work but I don't (yet) see the need.

And since the cost of pulling a run of CATx is more labor then anything else why save a few cents on 5E?

Whatever floats you boat, however.

When Dish installed in my home here in SW Virginia they used 3 of the 4 runs of COAX for each receiver - one was for OTA.

I understand there are "newer" ways to do this but this is what they did in my home.

post #10 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I would at least have a extra RG-6 at the main listening area.

If you don't want to spend the 100$ a drop, you can still install a switch at your cat locations if more wired devices are needed.

My Family Room:
3 RG-6 cables; satellite,OTA,FM
7 cat 5e bonded; 4 behind theater,1 each on left and right wall,1 on adjoing patio. The one on the patio goes thru component extenders (jautor recommended)from my Dish Hopper for outside tv viewing.

Just a example of its nice to have the extra cables.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #11 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
Well there is no right or wrong.

Shielded is fine if you are prepared for the extra work but I don't (yet) see the need.
If someone is billing me $100 a drop I'll take state of the art please.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
If someone is billing me $100 a drop I'll take state of the art please.
Yeah but I doubt the whoever is doing the work for the builder is going to stick to that figure for shielded - more work, more expensive materials - maybe they would but it seems unlikely.

post #13 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

It's just as easy to run multiple cables when the walls are open. I'm assuming the 100$ a drop includes wall plates and terminating. Maybe extra cables could be ran and the OP can terminate them and save some money.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #14 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

It's only the upstairs I'm concerned with. I've run my own Cat cabling, extra circuits etc. for the main floor which is easy when the basement is still unfinished which it will be for the new home for a while.

I have asked about how much shielded Cat6 would be vs the standard they offer, so that will be interesting to hear.

Quote:

post #15 of 21 Old 09-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's only the upstairs I'm concerned with. I've run my own Cat cabling, extra circuits etc. for the main floor which is easy when the basement is still unfinished which it will be for the new home for a while.

I have asked about how much shielded Cat6 would be vs the standard they offer, so that will be interesting to hear.
Why do you want shielded cat 6?

post #16 of 21 Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mainly because I was reading about it on this forum (here for example)..

Construction Wiring Help

So figured I'd check on what the cost of it would be. Though I've also read other threads where people recco against it.

Quote:

post #17 of 21 Old 09-04-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Even the HDBaseT folks say that while having shielded cable can help (really for longer runs than we'd expect in normal residential usage anyway) - they caution that if the shielding is not properly terminated and handled, the results will be WORSE than UTP wire...

I would avoid using shielded wire - spend that money on additional drops instead.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #18 of 21 Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

Sounds good to me, but I'm still curious what the builder is going to come back with.

Quote:

post #19 of 21 Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
pbc
AVS Special Member

To get shielded it is an extra $85 per location/drop. So I think I will pass given I don't see construction works being overly cautious with how they install it.

Quote:

post #20 of 21 Old 09-09-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
To get shielded it is an extra $85 per location/drop. So I think I will pass given I don't see construction works being overly cautious with how they install it.
I didn't think they would do it for the same $100 price but I didn't expect quite that much of an up charge. Thanks for the info.

And I think it is unlikely that you would ever have a need for shielded.

While you never know what the future will being you, can be pretty sure that designers of new equipment will try to maximize their potential market by being able to use the wiring that is in place and that is far more likely to be unshielded.

Good luck.
Skytrooper likes this.

post #21 of 21 Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Thanks guys. Main reason is that I have to have the builder run the additional drops, and they charge an arm and a leg. E.g., $100 per additional Cat6 drop. ...
Quote:
Sorry, but this sounds like a builder to stay away from. Would you mind saying who you are using?

Craig
Reply Home A/V Distribution