HD Modulation via COAX PVI Micromod mini review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-31-2014, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD Modulation via COAX PVI Micromod mini review

I normally don't post much, but thought I'd share my experience with the PVI Micromod HD modulator since there isn't much info out there about it. This is a late night ramble review, no structure what so ever, sorry

My home is wired with RG6 quad shield and cat 5e. Two of each to just about each room in the house. I wanted to broadcast HD signals from Dish(2 Hoppers), HD-DVD, and BLU RAY through out the house and in doing my research this seemed to be the cheapest way to do that.

I bought 2 Micromods for this task. I bought the QAM versions but they can be changed via firmware to output via ATSC (this interests me since I have an old DVHS with ATSC tuner). I've used it both ways and they both work fine.

Currently I'm running a Dish hopper via HDMI to each micromod. One "channel" for me and one for the wife. Encrypted HDMI works great no handshake issues at all. There is also component inputs on the micromod so I have a Blu-ray hooked up to one and an HD-DVD player hooked up to the other that way. I do have to change the input in the micromod menu to either HDMI or component depending on what I want to watch, but usually its left on HDMI to watch the Dish hopper.

Currently I'm running ATSC out to all my Tv's. One you set the RF frequency then you can remap it to any channel you want. Frequencies I'm using are 731 (RF 57) and 719 (RF 55) but they are remapped to channels 17-1 and 18-1 because I wanted to be able to click channel up or down to go back and fourth.

The delay on the micro mod is adjustable. It comes defaulted to the fastest (for live events) which is 50 milliseconds. When I first set it up, I was having a problem on my Pioneer Elite KURO. The video was jerky, but I had a new insignia that was playing the video just fine. Come to find out that the KURO was not able to handle the 50MS delay as it is a 6 year old tv. As soon as I set the modulator on a 500ms delay the KURO was smooth as could be. There is also an option for a 200ms delay but I haven't tried that yet.

I should also mention that the RF output of each micromod in my setup goes to a combiner along with OTA antenna which then goes into a leviton 1x16 unity amplified distribution block.

I'm very impressed with the micromod and the quality of the picture. Lots of options to customize your setup. 1080i (component) and 1080p (HDMI) output. Smooth picture, no skipping no lag other than the 1/2 of a second delay for encoding and even that can be shortened to a 50ms delay if the tv can handle it. I want to try the short delay for video games sometime.

It comes with an HDMI cable, a large easy to follow manual, and a warranty cert.

Overall I'm thrilled about the purchase. If you were like me and on the fence about purchasing, give it a shot. Also the support from PVI has been good, via email. Calling on the phone is difficult to reach a live person. I did get through to ask for the firmware to switch between QAM and ATSC and the tech emailed it to me immediately.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page