How much "outdoor" do you have to be to need "outdoor" speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How much "outdoor" do you have to be to need "outdoor" speakers?

Hey all

So my living room leads right out onto our deck, which is mostly covered. So much so that 6 people can sit around a table and eat while the rain pours. But that doesn't absolve it of the issue of humidity, heat, cold, wind, etc.

So I think I already know the answer to this question, but just in case. I happen to have two extra bookshelf speakers. I also happen to have a second 'zone' on my AVR unit, with the ability to drive two more speaker. In a couple of weeks I'm going to be doing some minor wall surgery to mount and install a new TV and I figured while I'm at it, I might run some wiring through the basement and up into the walls of the deck and mount a pair of speakers out there next to the glass doors; for a little outdoor music. Can I use my extra bookshelf speakers I have? Or must those be outdoor speakers out there? Just for a little 'background music' when sitting outside, listening to the ballgame on AM radio, etc. Nothing extreme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-11-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
go ahead and use the bookshelf speakers, they should be fine . If you are really concerned, keep a couple of plastic bags on them when you aren't using them. If they are not getting direct moisture (i.e. rain) falling on them, you shouldn't have any worries.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I would use the bookshelf speakers until they crap out. Run the cables you need now, anyway, for L-C-R speakers, and a subwoofer too.

In the interim, shop around for outdoor speakers. I installed some humidity-resistant Monitor Audio WT165 rectangular in-ceilings, for distributed stereo audio, in my sun room. Happy with the look (trimless, 'narrow bezel'), and sound. I had existing rectangular cut-outs to fill, in the ceiling beadboard.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2014, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I would use the bookshelf speakers until they crap out. Run the cables you need now, anyway, for L-C-R speakers, and a subwoofer too.

In the interim, shop around for outdoor speakers. I installed some humidity-resistant Monitor Audio WT165 rectangular in-ceilings, for distributed stereo audio, in my sun room. Happy with the look (trimless, 'narrow bezel'), and sound. I had existing rectangular cut-outs to fill, in the ceiling beadboard.
Do I need 'center'? I was just planning stereo audio. For music or listening to the ballgame when I walk out to grill. (Which was part of the motivation of wanting to run it off of the AVR in the living room). What would a 'center' speaker do for me?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page