AVS Forum banner

New home construction AV question. NOOB

725 views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  XJBaylor 
#1 ·
Building a new house and just trying to figure out what I need. This is the list that I have came up with thus far.

Crestron MC3 Processor
Crestron C2N-AMP-6X100
C2N-TAMFMXM Tuner
CEN-IDOCV Ipod dock
Yale Lock (front door)
Binary 4x4 matrix switcher HDBaseT
Talos Surveillance System
Yamaha 5.1 receiver
Media server or HTPC

All the speakers will be chose later.

Six audio zones, with one zone the living room with the 5.1. I want audio in all six zones and also be able to use the speakers for watching TV as well. Will this setup work?

My questions: How do I run audio from the Switcher to the 6x100 amp for audio in the zone and also video when there is only HDMI or Cat5 outputs?

Last, will I need keypads or can I just use my computer/ipad/ipod?

Outputs on switcher cat5/hdmi. Audio only on amp?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You don't run audio from the switcher but from the sources themselves.

Since the Crestron amp has only analog inputs, you will have to use analog outputs from your sources.

You can use Apple devices to control everything, but I would have handheld remotes in the rooms that also have tvs. I would suggest having some iPad inwall docks placed strategically around your house for easy access to control the system.

I would also suggest a different surveillance system as the Talos doesn't do much in the way of IP cameras. I suggest IP as their resolution is higher among other

#3 · (Edited)
Here is my dilemma, I know that each zone will have 2 speakers in them that I will tie to the whole home audio system. However, I would like to be able to use those same speakers to play the audio for tv/movies when not using them for music. What am I missing?

As far as in wall ipad docks. Are you suggesting them in each room so that you pick them up and use them for the handheld?

Any suggestions on surveillance systems with IP?

#4 ·
Here is my dilemma, I know that each zone will have 2 speakers in them that I will tie to the whole home audio system. However, I would like to be able to use those same speakers to play the audio for tv/movies when not using them for music. What am I missing?
You'll need automatic speaker switches (something like http://www.russound.com/product_detail.php?i=1769). One source is the WHA amp, the other is the TV AVR.. I plan to do the same thing with the surround speakers in my new home - switch between surround channels for the TV and the WHA zone amp.

#8 ·
Talked to a dealer here in town. If you have any suggestions of products that would do the same thing, I am all ears.

I am just trying to find a system that will fit my needs. I am very new to this and have a limited budget.

My needs are:
WHA 6 zones for now, expandable. One zone will be 5.1 in family room.
Sources: FM/AM, Pandora, Ipod

Video:
4 televisions for now
Sources: blu ray, media server/htpc, surveillance, Tivo

#12 · (Edited)
You can also "loop out" from the DA amps in most systems, so the surround zone will "see" the same analog source inputs as the rest of your system.

To the OP. It sounds like you should hire a professional. It isn't cheap, but it is way cheaper than not getting all of the wiring correct and having to retro additional wire, or buying the wrong equipment and having to repurchase it. In the end, if you want a professional solution, such as C4, Elan g!, URC, RTI, etc. you will want it professionally programmed, so you might as well enjoy the benefits of professional design and engineering as well.

Also, don't waste money on an ipod dock and a tuner. Get a media streamer from Autonomics, Sonos or S1 Digital which can provide streaming music, play your local library and give you access to internet radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.