AVS Forum banner

Best way to have multiroom ceiling speakers?

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  DrBoogie 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a new house and would like to have ceiling speakers in several rooms that are accessible with airplay. I am looking for an efficient solution. As you can see I don't need an audiophile grade sound and I don't have a home theater sound yet. Please comment on the plan I got.

1. Receiver with powered 2nd zone amplifier outs and good iphone integration, something like this:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials/Home+specials/VSX-1123-K+REFURBISHED

2. Cheap 8 inch 8 ohm speakers for 4 living/media room ceiling surrounds. Installation in a recessed part of the ceiling that can possibly become a diy boxes for the speaker. What would I need to make such a box?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?p...rtby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback

3. Will I need to put central speaker in front of me? Will sub-woofer sound be better if placed on the floor? I do have tall media stand under my TV with place for central speaker and woofer.

4. Will these monoprice speakers survive Texas winter under the roof on a patio?

5. If I decide later to add second set of 2nd zone speakers (no need to play simultaneously), will I be able to add a switch later easily or is there a more elegant solution?

6. Lot of speaker wires. Will monoprice do?

Thank you for any input.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. Receiver with powered 2nd zone amplifier outs and good iphone integration, something like this:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Shop/Specials/Home+specials/VSX-1123-K+REFURBISHED
Yes.

2. Cheap 8 inch 8 ohm speakers for 4 living/media room ceiling surrounds. Installation in a recessed part of the ceiling that can possibly become a diy boxes for the speaker. What would I need to make such a box?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?p...rtby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback
You don't have to have boxes, but they can help on a number of fronts. Search for "backer box" to get all kinds of details. Plywood with some fiberglass is the easy answer...

3. Will I need to put central speaker in front of me? Will sub-woofer sound be better if placed on the floor? I do have tall media stand under my TV with place for central speaker and woofer.
Subwoofers are heavy and will rattle the heck of out anything they're placed on - put it on the floor. You absolutely want a center channel speaker for any surround setup, and also to have the front L/R around the same height as the display. Center just above/below the TV is the proper place.

4. Will these monoprice speakers survive Texas winter under the roof on a patio?
Yes.

5. If I decide later to add second set of 2nd zone speakers (no need to play simultaneously), will I be able to add a switch later easily or is there a more elegant solution?
Yes, and yes. That AVR has a Zone3 output. Add an inexpensive zone amp later and put the other room on its own zone...

6. Lot of speaker wires. Will monoprice do?
Most certainly!

Jeff

#6 ·
There are lots of good options. But realize that finding a place for all those speakers in a 7.1 setup in a general-purpose living room can be a real challenge. Few rooms will have wall space in all the appropriate locations, which is why in-ceiling speakers are commonly used for surround channels in non-dedicated spaces.

#8 ·
Corners bad. Arranged just outside/behind your seating area is the better choice. Draw a room diagram and folks can give you more specific advice on placement...

#9 ·
Any rooms above the speakers will have significant bleed through the ceiling as well.

The angled 8" in-ceiling speakers from Monoprice are better than their standard 8" in-ceiling models.

If you can get the front wall speakers in the wall or to bookshelf/on-wall models it is a nice improvement, but the angled 8" speakers, with no rooms above the listening area, produces pretty solid sound.

Make sure to follow the rules on positioning speakers from the listening area as best you can.

#12 ·
I would put the TV on the wall, and use on-wall L-C-R speakers. Looks like you have room.

Then, use in-ceilings for the rears and side surrounds.

You could consider a sound bar, for the L-C-R speakers.

You should definitely get a subwoofer, with a sound bar.

For a really clean look, you can mount the L-C-R speakers (or sound bar) to the wall TV mount.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.