AVS Forum banner

Best way to split coax signal? (picture inside)

614 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  MrBobb 
#1 ·
I have internet and digital cable TV at my house and I'm trying to make sure I'm splitting the signal correctly to maximize signal quality, etc.

My primary concern is that my cable modem receives the best signal possible.

I've attached a picture of what I'm thinking, but here is a description:

1) Cable comes from outside to splitter #1 . Splitter #1 connects directly to cable modem and splitter #2 .
2) Splitter #2 connects all my Tivos (to provide digital cable signal, and two-way MoCA networking signal for Tivo minis)

Is that the best approach, or should I just use a large 5-way splitter right at the cable entrance to the house?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First off it's all digital so enough signal is as good as it gets. Without a meter, hard to say how to connect. Try your diagram and see. However a '5-way' is probably not the right choice as I hear they're as scarce as hens' teeth...

PS: That's how most people connect.

#5 · (Edited)
Get a 6 way splitter and a terminating resistor for the unused output. As olteddy said, the modem doesn't require a strong signal.

Or you can just leave things as is.

#9 ·
The TiVo Roamio is using Ethernet (CAT6) for internet access.

You are correct that that TiVo and cable modem are the only two accessing the cable network. The TiVo Mini's will receive their signal over the MoCA network.

I'm just trying to make sure I have the least amount of signal degradation possible.

It looks like I can also upgrade my cable modem to a Surfboard SB6121 that includes a built-in MoCA filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.