Data Cable Over Long Distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2015, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Data Cable Over Long Distance

I am in the process of designing a new home on a larger piece of property. There is already an existing building on the property that is less than 100 feet from the pole, and I currently have Comcast internet service there. The new house I am building would require 400 - 500 feet of cable from the existing house. Is there a way I can feed the new house with the existing service? I'm sure CAT6/6a is out of the question, but is there some sort of fiber that is somewhat economical?

The problem I am facing is that Comcast wants a fortune to run new service 400 feet from the street. Whether I go that route or not, I am still planning to lay conduit for "future service" (hopefully not Comcast!). But in the meantime, I have the capability to drop in a conduit and just pull off my existing service. I obviously want to future-proof as well.

I am open to pushing the internet wirelessly, but I'm not sure I can boost the signal to get reliable bandwidth. As the crow flies, my next access point would be about 325 feet away, and from there, I'd want to serve about a 200 foot radius.

Do I have any hope?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Is the current structure going to stay there? If not, you'd want an enclosure with AC power if possible.

Search for "long haul" (and really, "short haul") Ethernet or VDSL solutions, as well as fiber extenders. Something that can be remotely powered from one end will be easier to deal with. This won't be cheap...

You may not need to run conduit - a cable trencher may be a cheaper option - account for the installation cost when pricing out the various options.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 128
You will simply need to go with Fiber Optical cables.

Two of these if you don't have a switch that natively supports fiber or add in modules:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156006

Cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Mul.../dp/B000NMAB2W

You could also go wireless with directional antenna.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Is the current structure going to stay there? If not, you'd want an enclosure with AC power if possible.

Search for "long haul" (and really, "short haul") Ethernet or VDSL solutions, as well as fiber extenders. Something that can be remotely powered from one end will be easier to deal with. This won't be cheap...

You may not need to run conduit - a cable trencher may be a cheaper option - account for the installation cost when pricing out the various options.
Yes, the current structure will remain. It will function as my primary office for the foreseeable future, and after that, probably as a guest house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjuku View Post
You will simply need to go with Fiber Optical cables.

Two of these if you don't have a switch that natively supports fiber or add in modules:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156006

Cable:
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Mul.../dp/B000NMAB2W

You could also go wireless with directional antenna.
Both options are feasible, and the cost of the fiber does not seem bad. The idea of a directional antenna looks promising. I do have direct line of site, and I could physically put an antenna a good 30 or 40 feet off the ground. Any idea of where to start that search? Are these types of devices simply extenders on steroids? Do they carry pretty decent bandwidth? I can hard wire into an antenna and a receiver/access point (not sure on terminology), so if it can at least carry the bandwidth capable of streaming online video and VOIP, this could be an excellent solution that doesn't force me to commit long term to anything.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 24
A couple of these (under $100 each) should do what you want:

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobeamm/

Since your office is at the outbuilding, put the modem and router there. One NanoBeam gets connected to the router. At the other end, you connect it to an ethernet switch which is also connected to your other devices and a Wireless Access Point (WAP).
Old 05-11-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
If it were me, I'd go ahead with a wired and/or conduit solution - since this will be a new construction project, and that will be the 'main' house. If the positions were reversed (long haul to guest house), the wireless options would probably be my choice...
olyteddy likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
If it were me, I'd go ahead with a wired and/or conduit solution - since this will be a new construction project, and that will be the 'main' house. If the positions were reversed (long haul to guest house), the wireless options would probably be my choice...
I'm pretty much of the same opinion, though only if you are already trenching for some other service. If you would have to trench just for this I would say use the UBNT wireless bridge, but also have an easily accessible DMARC location on the side of the new building, so if the experiment failed and you had to wire it would be as easy as simply digging the trench and pulling the wire.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
I'm pretty much of the same opinion, though only if you are already trenching for some other service. If you would have to trench just for this I would say use the UBNT wireless bridge, but also have an easily accessible DMARC location on the side of the new building, so if the experiment failed and you had to wire it would be as easy as simply digging the trench and pulling the wire.
I think this is the route I am going to take. Even though I'll be trenching for other utilities, I'd need a new trench in a different direction for the data. I can poke a conduit through the new foundation and cap it for future use. Even if I go with one of the Nanobeams with higher bandwidth/throughput, it's a relatively cheap solution. And if it fails, I can at least resell them and cut my losses.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaytse66 View Post
I think this is the route I am going to take. Even though I'll be trenching for other utilities, I'd need a new trench in a different direction for the data. I can poke a conduit through the new foundation and cap it for future use. Even if I go with one of the Nanobeams with higher bandwidth/throughput, it's a relatively cheap solution. And if it fails, I can at least resell them and cut my losses.
Not a bad plan, but again...if a trench is available take advantage of it. If a trench is 50% there, have them trench the other 50% and get a hardwired connection. The performance of the UBNT bridge is pretty amazing, flat out phenomenal for the price, but a conduit gives you much more flexibility down the road.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Dig the Trench and call in a local Pro to handle the network design, installation and configuration.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc
Old 05-18-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I would use fiber. You are going to have a difference in ground potential if you use copper.

Conduit is always good!

Tim
Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post
I would use fiber. You are going to have a difference in ground potential if you use copper.

Conduit is always good!

Tim
^^ This.

You can get 100Mbit copper to optical transceivers for ~$60-70 per.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.