PS DVD Player to Sony KP-53V80 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-18-2002, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, in January 2000 I purchased what was sold to me as a HDTV "ready" Sony KP-53V80 rear projection TV. The set has performed wonderfully for the past three years. However now with the forward progress of technologies and a recent DVD purchase, I feel I've been left out in the cold. The problem is I wanted to order an HDTV set top receiver, but first I called SONY to ensure compatibility. I was then shocked when they told me the TV is in fact NOT HDTV ready and that the advertisement was referring to the component video connections offering a superior DVD signal back in 1999 (creation date of the TV). As such I refrained from the purchase.
Further, now I purchased a DVD player (Panasonic DVD-RP62S) with progressive scan technology and now there is another compatibility problem. The store that sold me the DVD player stated that if the TV is digital it should work. The TV has a Digital comb filter but when the DVD outputs 480P I see a double picture.

Is there anything I can do to make the TV work with the DVD on progressive scan output?

Please help, as I mentioned to Sony why isn't there some kind of (even purchased) migration path to newer technologies for these Big Screen, BIG Priced TV's?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-18-2002, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is probably not the best forum for your question, but it appears that your TV does not accept a 480p (progressive) signal. Component inputs can be either 480i (interlaced) only or 480i/480p. Your TV is apparently 480i only. HDTV ready sets will accept both 480i and 480p (as well as 1080i). AFAIK there is nothing that can be done to "upgrade" your set. You can still use your new DVD player in interlaced (non-progressive) mode though. Good luck.

Jay
post #3 of 4 Old 12-19-2002, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply Jay.
Can you point me to the appropriate forum please?
Also, I guess what I'm really after is to know what if anything has anyone (or if it can be) done to modify/upgrade the internal components of an interlaced TV to convert it to progressive scan.
This is what I suggested to SONY, someone like me spends close to $3k on a TV which is outdated in three years. They should at the very least offer some kind of parts replacement as an option to convert the TV.
They said "too bad ... it's like buying a computer", that argument didn't stand as I mentioned I can easily upgrade my P3 to a newer P4 if I choose to spend the money. With the TV it seems there is no possible option.

Sorry for the rant and thanks again for the input.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-19-2002, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The "Home Theater General" or "Rear Projection Units" forums would probably be the best. I have never heard of any manufacturer that provides the ability to upgrade an analog TV to a HDTV. Good luck.

Jay
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page