Need to connect 4 Hdmi sources to 8 TV's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-18-2015, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need to connect 4 Hdmi sources to 8 TV's

Hi everyone , building a new home and its time to cable while I can before finishes to the house are set in.

I have 4 sources I need to distribute to 8 tv sets.
I'm pretty new to running HDMI signal. I don't think I have the space to run a bunch of HDMI cables to each tv from my source signal. that would mean 32 HDMI cables.
The distances vary with the longest distance being about 25m.

This is what I could think up so far.

Please help with your thoughts and ideas.

My sources consist of Satelite TV box (will need to browse through channels)
Media player (For Netflix and Plex-Synology)
AppleTV (So I can wirelessy share my macbook or iphone screens on any tv)
CCTV cameras (To check if anyone is trying to steal my hdmi setup )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Setup.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	783090  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That array of switchers looks annoyingly complex. You might use a matrix instead. A matrix is designed to do exactly what you are describing. For example, an 8x8 matrix has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, and can switch/duplicate between any one of them. Only 12 HDMI cables and once piece of equipment.
Since you have CAT5 run anyways, you might consider an HD over IP solution like Just Add Power that provides matrix-like capabilities without the matrix. Not to mention, you have to replace almost all of that stuff if you decide to add another source or display. You wouldn't have to replace anything to expand a Just Add Power system. It is totally expandable.

Full Disclosure: I work for Just Add Power.
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You're going to share a single Sat-TV receiver between 8 different TVs? What if people want to watch different channels?

For the media player and AppleTV, you need to consider if the cost of the matrix or splitter & switches is worth it, considering the cost of the AppleTV and media players (about $150 per TV). That's less than HDBaseT receivers, I think.

Also, I'm not sure if you actually need a specific input for the CCTV cameras. If you're using IP cameras, I think you can get a channel (app) for the Roku that does that directly. Or a web browser channel can do it.

In any, you need to decide where you're going to put the actual shared equipment (the "head end") and make sure you have an HDMI cable or Cat-5e (or both) from there to each TV. Multiple Cat-5e would be better. The rest you can deal with later.
post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2015, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You need to choose between Matrix, HD over IP, or just running local sources. If budget allows either JAP or an 8x8 matrix will be ideal solutions, but both really NEED a good control system. Elan g!, Control4, Savant, URC, RTI would all be great options. Elan gives you the best remote, and the ability to use iPad/iPhone for all secondary viewing areas. Control4 would probably be the cheapest way to give every TV a hard button remote.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page