AVS Forum banner

Check my sanity? HDBase-T setup from a Rookie...

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Neurorad 
#1 ·
OK guys... I have an A/V closet where the sources will be and two 4k TVs - one in the master and one in the living room. I don't need to share sources, so I'm trying to avoid the expense of a matrix. Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

For the HDBaseT extenders and for IR extenders, I plan on using two of these (one for master and one for living):

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10914&cs_id=1091401&p_id=10225&seq=1&format=2

I'm assuming I can use the A/V receiver in the master to do HDMI switching. For the living room, I was thinking of placing this simple HDMI switch in the A/V closet:

http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-Ultra-Switch-UltraHD-Remote/dp/B00QM8V576

So, I've never done anything like this before. Am I missing anything? I'm assuming with the IR extenders, I can use a simple universal remote in each room to control all of this - right? And the HDBaseT extenders are cool with 5.1 surround?

Thanks so much for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Yep, you got it...

You may need to cover the IR emitters with some electrical tape or similar opaque thingy to keep them from bleeding IR signal to the other nearby components (since you have multiples of the same make/model), but other than that, you shouldn't have any issues with that solution.

The HDBaseT extender on your AVR output won't have to deal with audio anyway, as the AVR gets it upstream - the extender just sends what it gets and doesn't muck with the HDMI contents...

#6 ·
Worth saying that if you are on a budget, and the distance is 75' or less, you may want to run a 22AWG HDMI cable and see if it works. I run HDMI up to 75' in my home and don't have any issues with video quality. It is far less money than using HDBT.

I do have cat cables in place just in case I ever need to go the HDBT route, but right now, I'm just using straight up HDMI and it works great. I have a couple of 75' runs and a couple of 50' runs.

#9 ·
I see this was originally posted a month ago, but the ATV2, cable STB, and switch could be positioned behind the TV discreetly, without the need for extending.

The devices could be mounted to the back of the TV, or placed in a recessed TV outlet box. This is SnapAV's Versabox:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.