Video dist over Cat6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-01-2015, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
BPU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Video dist over Cat6

Hi,

Long time reader and have learned a lot from everyone thus far. Thank you. I have been having a really tough time figuring out the optimal low cost solution for my home, however, and was wondering if you might help.

Situation:

3 TVs today, all three within 120 feet of utility room (all 3 smart Samsungs)
All TVs have Cat6 wiring (2 each)
All equipment in utility room:
  • Silicon Dust HDPrime
  • a PC running Windows 7 media center
  • A bluray player
  • 24 port patch panel
  • GB switch

I will be adding another floor to the house in the next 1-2 years and will be adding another 3-4 TVs. Also, additional video sources may get added to the utility room later, but trying to keep it simple for now

My top two requirements are no boxes (cable box or Xbox) under the respective TVs and a same/somewhat similar user interface/remote for each of the TVs (wife and young kids).

Questions

1. I like the concept of a 4x4 HDBaset matrix but am not enamored with the cost of a (non-Monoprice) unit. Particularly with 4k on the horizon. Is there a setup or solution that meets the requirements above that is not HDBaseT that you would recommend?
2. Will I need extenders from Ceton or whomever irregardless of whether or not I choose HDBaseT protocol? If so, where do they reside?
3. What remote control system would you recommend if I went with HDMI over Catx or some other non HDBaseT system?

Thanks again - I could get professional help but I get satisfaction from DIY projects - even if I get a bit over my head at times and have to ask strangers to point me in the right direction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here with a young family and in the process of building a very similar setup in my new home.

I was thinking of using a HDbaseT Matrix with a Loxone control system to manage all of the equipment at the head end, but would love to hear your thoughts on this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
control4 has a UHD capable matrix available
post #4 of 5 Old Today, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
BPU

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I may not have done a good job with my summary, or perhaps there is a dumb question in there somewhere. Was wondering what some of the more knowledgeable posters might buy if they were in my situation. Happy Fourth everyone!
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPU View Post
My top two requirements are no boxes (cable box or Xbox) under the respective TVs and a same/somewhat similar user interface/remote for each of the TVs (wife and young kids).
Remotely locating game consoles can be difficult - the controllers have to reach, and you have to travel to the unit to switch disc-based games. Same true for blu-ray players - in primary AV viewing areas, you probably want a nearby spot for 'local' sources.

Quote:
1. I like the concept of a 4x4 HDBaset matrix but am not enamored with the cost of a (non-Monoprice) unit. Particularly with 4k on the horizon. Is there a setup or solution that meets the requirements above that is not HDBaseT that you would recommend?
No.

But with two category cables to each display, you can find some less-expensive 2-cable solutions. Make sure you get one with IR repeating/routing to handle control regardless... Also note if you consume both category cables for video, you don't have anything left for wired Ethernet.

Quote:
2. Will I need extenders from Ceton or whomever irregardless of whether or not I choose HDBaseT protocol? If so, where do they reside?
At both ends. But if you're really going down the matrix path, get an integrated unit with the extenders (HDBaseT or otehrwise) built-in.

Quote:
3. What remote control system would you recommend if I went with HDMI over Catx or some other non HDBaseT system?
See above - get an integrated unit with IR routing...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page