How are my cables affected? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-06-2003, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tonight we went to take a look at the house we are currently in the process of having built. To my surprise we had about 1 inch of water standing throughout our basement. Unfortunately the home is in the drywall stage and the electricity has not yet been turned on, therefore no sump pump action.

I had just completed the low voltage wiring and all my drops were made to the basement. The wire was coiled up in multiple areas throughout the basement and left laying on the floor. I don't think I will have a problem, but should I be concerned that the cables were laying in water. Of course once I noticed this, I did elevate all cable above the standing water. My main concern is how much water wicked up the cable, and will it affect the signal when in use. I am using a solid copper conductor RG6 from Coleman, and Belden CAT5e.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I can't promise anything, but I have had similar scenarios occur and once the cable and house dried out I had no problems related to the water. You should be OK, but maybe you can drape the cable over rafters or something to make sure they get completely dry - Good Luck.

Also if you have some slack cut back 5 or 10 feet of the cat 5 and see if you can find moisture inside the cable. I doubt you could in the RG6 though.

Brent Huskins
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page