4K and 2K on the same HDMI distribution system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
4K and 2K on the same HDMI distribution system?

upgrading my av distribution and i now have a projector in the theater that does 4K hdmi2/hdcp2.2 and will probably add a new receiver that also does this. we really like the ability to send our theater programming to the kitchen tv. i doubt we will see 4K 24" tvs nor would i need one but it seems that if i put the kitchen on an HDMI splitter with my theater, everything will downshift to 2K. i would think the same thing would happen if i put the tv on the zone2 out of a receiver (like the denon 6200). is it possible to have 4K and 2K on the same distribution? seems like i need a downscaler that would report 4K uhd, etc to the source and send 2K to the sink. the only one i see is this one http://www.kramerelectronics.com/pro...l.asp?pid=3103 and it doesnt say what level of hdmi/hdcp it supports but it is not rated at 18 Gbs (it says 10Gbs).

Thanks for any help.

greg

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Look into an IP system? JAP will allow for mix distribution of the same source I believe: http://justaddpower.com/implementation.html

I personally hear great things about JAP. I went with Video Storm, and they do not have a 4k product yet http://video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VTX100 which does not bother me since I am a few years away from upgrading to any 4k displays or content. There were a few other features that drew me to VS over JAP as again I did not need 4k.

Just an option, but these IP systems allow for much more modular growth which I like overall vs a fixed YxY matrix set up
post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
Look into an IP system? JAP will allow for mix distribution of the same source I believe: http://justaddpower.com/implementation.html

I personally hear great things about JAP. I went with Video Storm, and they do not have a 4k product yet http://video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=VTX100 which does not bother me since I am a few years away from upgrading to any 4k displays or content. There were a few other features that drew me to VS over JAP as again I did not need 4k.

Just an option, but these IP systems allow for much more modular growth which I like overall vs a fixed YxY matrix set up
hey this looks really neat. does avs sell these? if not, where would i get these?

thanks,

greg

Big Red Cinema Build

post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
i doubt we will see 4K 24" tvs nor would i need one
We'll probably see smaller sets with 4K input capability regardless of the actual panel resolution, for exactly this type of compatibility. Same thing we saw with 720p/1080p on small displays...

Quote:
but it seems that if i put the kitchen on an HDMI splitter with my theater, everything will downshift to 2K. i would think the same thing would happen if i put the tv on the zone2 out of a receiver (like the denon 6200). is it possible to have 4K and 2K on the same distribution?
Yep, same thing will happen - the source can only output one video resolution via HDMI at a time. Now, it's certainly possible that a 4K source device with dual HDMI outputs could supply multiple resolutions, but I have no idea if any device will do that -it would seem to be an expensive add-on to a 4K source product (for very, very few people to use).

Quote:
seems like i need a downscaler that would report 4K uhd, etc to the source and send 2K to the sink. the only one i see is this one http://www.kramerelectronics.com/pro...l.asp?pid=3103 and it doesnt say what level of hdmi/hdcp it supports but it is not rated at 18 Gbs (it says 10Gbs).
When the time comes, upgrading the kitchen display will be the cheapest and most reliable solution.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
When the time comes, upgrading the kitchen display will be the cheapest and most reliable solution.

Jeff
The time is pretty soon. the problem is i assume the kitchen and any other room i wanted to connect to would have to actually have 4K rather than simply be compatible. i assume tv's would simply tell the source via hdmi what they support and let the source make it right. i am unaware of any tvs that only supported 720P but had an edid that told the source it was actually 1080P then downscaled in the tv. am i misunderstanding this?

g

Big Red Cinema Build
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
The time is pretty soon. the problem is i assume the kitchen and any other room i wanted to connect to would have to actually have 4K rather than simply be compatible. i assume tv's would simply tell the source via hdmi what they support and let the source make it right. i am unaware of any tvs that only supported 720P but had an edid that told the source it was actually 1080P then downscaled in the tv. am i misunderstanding this?
There have been a number of small, 720p displays that accept "1080p input signals". The EDID is reporting device compatibility/capabilities - how the device manages to deal with it is of no concern to the source. Same answer for TVs with DD5.1 / DTS support - it's there for audio compatibility, the display deals with the signal, decodes/downsamples the audio/video as needed (since the TV still only has two speakers, for example). 4K to 1080p is simple to do - drop every other line and you're done! (may not be the best answer, but it's cheap!)

The same will likely come about with 4K - HDR support will be nice to have on any display regardless of actual 4K resolution. As the chipsets become available and replace the 1080p models (which happens once the chip prices approach parity), we'll see them in lots of displays - again for signal compatibility.

In the meantime, since 4K content from external sources / set-top boxes is pretty rare - an EDID cheater device for the kitchen TV would at least let the theater work (even though, when playing 4K content, you'll get no picture in the kitchen).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #7 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
hey this looks really neat. does avs sell these? if not, where would i get these?

thanks,

greg
Greg hey Sir im a Just Add Power Dealer located in Austin Tx. I normally use JAP with a Savant Control system and they are rock solid, super fast switching. Plus since the switcher is a Gigabit switcher as long as you have enough ports it can be modular to expand your system as needed. If you have any questions feel free to shoot over an email to: SmartSystemsAustin@Gmail.com

Jayson
post #8 of 8 Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

thanks,

greg
Greg hey Sir im a Just Add Power Dealer located in Austin Tx. I normally use JAP with a Savant Control system and they are rock solid, super fast switching. Plus since the switcher is a Gigabit switcher as long as you have enough ports it can be modular to expand your system as needed. If you have any questions feel free to shoot over an email to: SmartSystemsAustin@Gmail.com

Jayson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution