Bad Multiswitch? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 04-25-2003, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is going to get kind of long and convoluted but figured that it's better to give you more information than too little to work with.

About two months ago a bought a new Spaun 5802 multiwsitch for my D* system to distribute the signal from a first generation RCA oval dish with 3 LNBs to four D* STBs (one HD and three regular ones) in the house. All of the wires are home-run down to the multiswitch for distribution to the STBs.

Everything was working fine until last week when I noticed that my HD STB (built into a RCA 38310 TV) wasn't getting a signal from the 110 satellite. I went to the other non-HD STBs to see if they had signal from the 110 satellite transponders (8, 10 & 12) and found that they had signal strengths in the mid 70's. I decided to take the multiswitch out of the equation and run the signal from the 110 LNB directly to the HD unit to see what I might get and found that it could now see the 110 satellite and that the transponders had signal strength that was in the upper 70's. After putting everthing back together, I then decided to change the connections off of the multiswitch so that the HD box was connected to the #1 output of the multiswitch where one of the other STBs that had been getting signal from the 110 satellite was connected and voila it works!

Since I may add some additional HD STBs down the road, I thought that I would try the other outputs on the multiswitch to see where I could get a signal that was usable by the HD STB by switching connections on the multiswitch. I found that while all of the regular STBs could all see the 110 satellite on any of the connections, only outputs #1 & #2 on the multiswitch provided enough of a signal for the HD STB to use.
To complicate matters, some of the multiswitch outputs cause pixelation on the regular STBs of HBO2 and HBO Signature.

I spoke with Spaun about this and they said that while the multiswitch shouldn't behave like this, they felt that it is the HD STB that is the problem and their multiswitch is fine. I pointed out that I was also having problems with the regular STBs off of some of the multiswitch's outputs but not all of them and they indicated that this sometimes happens!?!

I think that I've got a bad multiswitch but was wondering if others have had similar issues or if I'm missing something.:confused:

Thanks in advance!

Kurt
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page