A "modern" approach to Whole House Audio - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #31 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gworrel View Post
Using Echo dots as wha devices has serious limitations right now because Amazon has not yet integrated playback coordination between dots in different rooms. But combine Amazon Echos and Dots with chromecast and maybe the future is here now. https://www.hackster.io/pizzaface97/...omecast-a5f91f

I've only started to implement this so I cannot comment yet on its functionality.
If you want to control a WHA system using your voice at this moment in time, Google Home is the only non-hacked way to do so. You add a Chromecast Audio (CCA) puck to each channel on your WHA amp. Next you buy a Google Home. When you setup the Google Home you can only select one streaming music service to control via voice. From there you can ask the Google Home to play whatever song or playlist from XYZ streaming service to one or all of your CCAs. Google has the instructions at the help section of the Chromecast Audio section of Google's Chromecast web page.

As I stated before, the future is already here.

XBL: Stunt1on1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With CCA, how do you get audio into the CCA ecosystem that is not from a streaming service? Say I have the TV on in the living room and want to send that audio to another room(s)? Saw an earlier post about using your TV provider's app, but I'm a cord cutter.
post #33 of 93 Old 02-09-2017, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp2863 View Post
With CCA, how do you get audio into the CCA ecosystem that is not from a streaming service? Say I have the TV on in the living room and want to send that audio to another room(s)? Saw an earlier post about using your TV provider's app, but I'm a cord cutter.
What I'm about to type assumes that your streaming service allows you watch the same show on two different devices; i.e. just like Netflix allows for multiple user profiles. I know as a Netflix user that I can have multiple profiles and as a result if someone is using the Netflix app on the Smart TV in the spare bedroom to watch a show I can use the Netflix app on my tablet or phone to watch the same show using a different profile. Your streaming service may not allow that. If it doesn't allow for that you will not be able to cast audio if you're watching the streaming service on your Smart TV, which it sounds like you're doing. I'm not sure of the service you're using so your mileage will vary. With my TV provider (Directv), I can watch the same show on the App that someone else is viewing on one of the televisions in the home.

In order for what I do to work, you need an Android device or you need to watch the show from your laptop using the Chrome browser. If you have a Android tablet or phone, you can open the Google Home app, select the Cast Audio selection from the menu and select Cast Background Audio. Once you do that you're presented with a list of your CCAs, which hopefully you've named by room and created various grouping of the CCAs. From there you select the room or group of rooms that you'd like to cast the audio to. Once you see the indicator that you're connected, open the app that you use to stream your show(s) and play the show. The sound should now be playing in the rooms that you selected in the Home app.

If you don't have an Android device you may have a laptop. If you do have a laptop, open the Chrome browser and make sure that you've downloaded the Cast extension for Chrome. Once you've installed the Cast extension you'll see a Cast icon in the upper right portion of the Chrome browser. When you select the Cast icon you can stream the audio from any tab to any of the CCAs in your home. So you would go to the website for the show that you want to watch and play the show in the browser tab. Select the Cast icon in the upper right hand corner. You'll be presented with a list of all of your CCAs. Select the CCA that you're like to cast to. That's it.

Last edited by ahard; 02-09-2017 at 06:30 AM.

post #34 of 93 Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with casting from apps to Google Home and my TV. What I was really referring to was audio from terrestrial TV signals that go to my Channel Master DVR or audio coming out of a bluray player?

Is there a device that has an audio-in that can then send that audio through the CCA system?
post #35 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp2863 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with casting from apps to Google Home and my TV. What I was really referring to was audio from terrestrial TV signals that go to my Channel Master DVR or audio coming out of a bluray player?

Is there a device that has an audio-in that can then send that audio through the CCA system?
Oh! Ok because you didn't mention terrestrial TV and blu-ray in your previous post. There is not a device that I'm aware of that will send audio out from a dvr or bluray player to a Chromecast Audio. As you know Chromecast is app based. So if your sources aren't distributed through an app or website you're going to find it difficult to near impossible to get sound from your over-the-air (OTA) dvr and bluray player to a Chromecast Audio. It won't work as of today; don't know if that changes in the next couple of years seeing as though television has been moving toward over-the-top (OTT) streaming.

Last edited by ahard; 02-10-2017 at 05:10 AM.
post #36 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Thanks again ahard! I saw Sony has a new receiver with CCA integrated, but the documentation online doesn't describe much of it's capability. Guessing it just receives and can't transmit.
post #37 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Oh! Ok because you didn't mention terrestrial TV and blu-ray in your previous post. There is not a device that I'm aware of that will send audio out from a dvr or bluray player to a Chromecast Audio. As you know Chromecast is app based. So if your sources aren't distributed through an app or website you're going to find it difficult to near impossible to get sound from your over-the-air (OTA) dvr and bluray player to a Chromecast Audio. It won't work as of today; don't know if that changes in the next couple of years seeing as though television has been moving toward over-the-top (OTT) streaming.
Thats true, though Plex has support for both OTA DVR as well as playing ripped bluray discs, and plex casts audio just fine. If you rip everything, Plex could probably handle that for you fine.

Things are evolving fast, so I expect these sorts of things to resolve themselves over the next year or so.

Thx
mike
post #38 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
Thats true, though Plex has support for both OTA DVR as well as playing ripped bluray discs, and plex casts audio just fine. If you rip everything, Plex could probably handle that for you fine.

Things are evolving fast, so I expect these sorts of things to resolve themselves over the next year or so.

Thx
mike
Correct Mike. I use Plex to stream from my Itunes library to the CCAs but you're correct in mentioning the other features.

post #39 of 93 Old 03-11-2017, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
BTW, if folks are looking for great MODERN "remote controls" as we discussed earlier in the thread, Bestbuy has the Moto G4 Play Verizon Prepaid phone available for $38: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/verizon-...?skuId=5577481 This is a fantastic price. You can only get 2 in any one order, so if you need more, done 2 online (free shipping) and get a more in the store.

There is no need to activate the phone with a prepaid card or anything to use it as a WiFi device, and it gets updates via WiFi well. Effectively Verizon is subsidizing the purchase of your home automation/theater remote control. Nougat is rolling out now for the G4, so when that update comes out you'll be running the last android release for maximum flexibility, and it should support the android assistant right now under Marshmallow.

It doesn't have wireless charging standard, but I plan to use a retrofit fit (something like:
) which will make very useful as a remote in sitting on a charging stand in bedrooms and family rooms, etc... There are very nice and inexpensive stand up chargers that work well and allow your phones display to act like a clock, or be capable of voice command input where the display is visible. Get a 2 or 3 coil version like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3PAOV0?psc=1 or this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EMWJ6Z6 for placement flexibility (horizontal and vertical).

To constrain it's use as a general device (e.g. to prevent your kids from using it as a game device), I highly recommend using AppLock: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....applock&hl=en This allows you to constrain what apps run (like the playstore, settings, android TV remote, etc...) etc.. without inputing a secret code. This will allow you to set your android up in a way to run your remote control apps (netflix, plex, google home, play music, harmony, etc...) and allow the family to use it for those purposes with no screenlock or password needed, but prevent its use as a general android device without inputting a code.

I also highly recommend setting up a special gmail account just for devices in your home, so calendars and such and email access for real people is unavailable for these devices.

Once you are done with these steps, you have sort of like a control 4 touchpad, but at a fraction of the price, with a much more vast app selection and fully open architecture that can do voice recognition. I think this is 10X more useful thany any closed system touchscreen remote opr wall keypad.

The Moto G5 has been announced, but is not available in a prepaid (ie subsidized) distribution yet, and probably not for awhile.

Thanks,
Mike
post #40 of 93 Old 04-23-2017, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I was just reading up on multi-zone amps. It looks like most (if not all) have a standby mode with an auto on feature. They power on when they receive an audio source. So, I assume that if I start to stream over a google chromecast audio (or multiple chromecast audios together as a zone), this will power on the amp for the WHA speakers. Am I missing anything?
post #41 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
I was just reading up on multi-zone amps. It looks like most (if not all) have a standby mode with an auto on feature. They power on when they receive an audio source. So, I assume that if I start to stream over a google chromecast audio (or multiple chromecast audios together as a zone), this will power on the amp for the WHA speakers. Am I missing anything?
Short answer is yes; casting audio to a Chromecast Audio should turn on a multi-zone amp that has the audio sense feature. I will provide you with my experience. My multi-zone amp has the audio sense feature where it will turn on when it receives an audio source and it shuts down after a certain number of minutes when it doesn't detect an audio source. When I cast audio to one Chromecast Audio or multiple CCAs my amp will turn on as it is supposed to do. When I stop casting the amp will automatically power-down after a certain number of minutes.

post #42 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Short answer is yes; casting audio to a Chromecast Audio should turn on a multi-zone amp that has the audio sense feature. I will provide you with my experience. My multi-zone amp has the audio sense feature where it will turn on when it receives an audio source and it shuts down after a certain number of minutes when it doesn't detect an audio source. When I cast audio to one Chromecast Audio or multiple CCAs my amp will turn on as it is supposed to do. When I stop casting the amp will automatically power-down after a certain number of minutes.
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

I'll have 8 to 10 zones, likely the latter. Any amp recommendations, or amps if you recommend two for that many zones?
post #43 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

I'll have 8 to 10 zones, likely the latter. Any amp recommendations, or amps if you recommend two for that many zones?
I have 6 zones. I wouldn't say that one multi-zone amp works best for X number of zones over another. A number of people on this forum also use Dayton. My install company said that the Dayton Audio amps are good amps. Dayton makes a 12 zone amp, MA1240a. My installer was going to get the Dayton for me but it was on back-order so they got another WHA amp for the same price as the Dayton. There are others but Dayton comes in at a reasonable price to quality ratio.

post #44 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Dayton makes a 12 zone amp, MA1240a.
Note that the Dayton 1240, like many multi-channel amps, is a 12 CHANNEL amp - you need 2 channels per zone, so this is really a "6 zone" amp. This is a typical configuration, and so if you've got 8-10 zones, you might look for other places you could add a few more to bring yourself up to 12 zones - since the cost to do so is very small because you'll have the amp channels sitting around...

The other choice is that some of these multi-channel amps can bridge two channels together into one more powerful channel, so that's another way to fully utilize the amp...

Jeff
ahard and GatorBlues like this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #45 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Note that the Dayton 1240, like many multi-channel amps, is a 12 CHANNEL amp - you need 2 channels per zone, so this is really a "6 zone" amp. This is a typical configuration, and so if you've got 8-10 zones, you might look for other places you could add a few more to bring yourself up to 12 zones - since the cost to do so is very small because you'll have the amp channels sitting around...

The other choice is that some of these multi-channel amps can bridge two channels together into one more powerful channel, so that's another way to fully utilize the amp...

Jeff
Jeff is correct. I mis-typed when I said the Dayton is a 12 zone amp. The website clearly states that it is a 6 zone stereo amp. You need a 16 channel (8 stereo zones) or greater amp. I don't think that I saw such a amp on Dayton's website. Russound has the D1650 and Niles make a 16 channel amp.
GatorBlues likes this.

post #46 of 93 Old 04-24-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We are rewiring the house, so I am running cat6 and speaker wire like crazy. For audio, my plan was to run 4 conductor 12 awg and cat 6 to a wall panel in each zone, and then run 2 conductor 12 awg to speaker locations. All 4 conductor speaker wire and cat 6 terminates in my HVAC room to a rack. I was planning to power the WHA with a mono price 6 zone amp and install the included wall panels. For mobile control, I was planning to hook up a raspberry pi (or something else) to the serial port on the monoprice amp. For sources, I was planning to use a couple of Chromecasts, my record player, and a radio.

Is the above setup outdated? Am I going to hate myself for not just putting Sonos or in each zone or powered speakers with Chromecasts in each zone?
post #47 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
We are rewiring the house, so I am running cat6 and speaker wire like crazy. For audio, my plan was to run 4 conductor 12 awg and cat 6 to a wall panel in each zone, and then run 2 conductor 12 awg to speaker locations. All 4 conductor speaker wire and cat 6 terminates in my HVAC room to a rack. I was planning to power the WHA with a mono price 6 zone amp and install the included wall panels. For mobile control, I was planning to hook up a raspberry pi (or something else) to the serial port on the monoprice amp. For sources, I was planning to use a couple of Chromecasts, my record player, and a radio.

Is the above setup outdated? Am I going to hate myself for not just putting Sonos or in each zone or powered speakers with Chromecasts in each zone?
I think that you're over thinking it. Using wall-mounted volume controls is outdated. Some people still like wall-mounted tablet-like devices for source selection. In that case your plan to run the cat6 to the wall locations you scoped out makes sense even if you decide not to use wall-mounted controls.

Modern streamers allow you control the volume of zones and changing of streaming sources via a mobile device such as a phone or tablet. If you want Sonos or Chromecast for your WHA system you don't need a raspberry pi for mobile control. Chromecast can be controlled using the Google Home app on IOS or Android or using the streaming apps that have the casting feature built into the app. Sonos has a nice app that you can use to control your sources and control volume.

If you want to use cat5 or 6 cable with Chromecast you can. Just buy the cat cable adapter from Google's store: https://store.google.com/us/product/...ecast?hl=en-US.

post #48 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2788
^^^

agreed

I built a new home in 2000 with an 8 zone whole house audio system and wanted 12 gauge speaker wire run to each room: custom installer said 12 gauge is over doing it and installed 14 gauge: which is fine

turns out we hardly use the system except in the kitchen

If I had to build a house today, I would skip the speaker wiring/volume controls to each room

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b

Last edited by markrubin; 04-25-2017 at 06:22 AM.
post #49 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 07:04 AM

Wall-mounted controls have a lot of benefits - wire for them. Control from mobile devices is great for many times, but the better control answer is "both". And having the information display available to others (not just you and your phone) is useful...

And expect that in the near future those touchscreen panels will control a lot of functions (at a reasonable cost) beyond audio... If you want to simplify, skip the speaker wire loop through the control location (since that's only useful for A-Bus-like systems or analog volume controls), since that functionality probably won't get used. In that case, run your 4-conductor wire to the first speaker location, and then a 2-conductor jumper to the other speaker location.

14 or 16AWG wire is fine if you want to save some money, and it's easier to work with in large bundles...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
post #50 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I built a new home in 2000 with an 8 zone whole house audio system and wanted 12 gauge speaker wire run to each room: custom installer said 12 gauge is over doing it and installed 14 gauge: which is fine

turns out we hardly use the system except in the kitchen

If I had to build a house today, I would skip the speaker wiring/volume controls to each room
I'll provide a counter-experience, I built my house in 2009 and wired for 10+ zones... I use my WHA system practically every day.

Jeff
markrubin, Neurorad and ahard like this.

post #51 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I'll provide a counter-experience, I built my house in 2009 and wired for 10+ zones... I use my WHA system practically every day.

Jeff
My home was built in 2013 but I didn't wire up for WHA until July 2016. I do use my system everyday whether I'm streaming podcasts or Watercolors, Outlaw Country, etc on SiriusXM. I will cast from Spotify once in a while.

post #52 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you are pre-wiring because you think that someday, maybe you'd put something in, I'd say skip the wall mount cabling. If it isn't important enough for you to do it right now, chances are that when you do you'll be perfectly happy using a phone app or alexa/g-home to control the system when the time comes. And I repeat that recommendation for all pre-wiring, with the exception of A/V areas, because you're likely to always want a TV/Monitor of some sort, and that tech will undoubtedly change (which makes tube the best option). The world is getting more wireless, not less, and if you aren't someone who cares enough about having 'the best' connection or fidelity (no shame in that), you aren't likely to magically change your mind in the future when wireless options are even better than they are today.
ahard likes this.
post #53 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
The good thing about wall mount is that it's always in the same spot, always powered in and generally is mounted in high traffic areas.
We always pre-wire and most always install the "tablet on the wall" and it is used more than the smartphone that is handheld.
My wife's favorite "app" is the weather view that also shows up on the tablet. Quick glance and she knows how to dress the kids for the day.

Your kids pictures, vacations, or artwork is on the tablet when you aren't using it as a control system.

Recommendation: Do wire for a POE tablet for the wall in a high traffic location (usually the entrance to the kitchen or at the base of a major staircase). Cat5 is cheap. Staple it to a stud in the wall and take a picture with a tape measure so you know exactly where it is when the time comes to open up the wall and go find it.
post #54 of 93 Old 04-25-2017, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Alright guys, it looks like I came to the right discussion. I need some help from you experts.

I'm a newb who had my house prewired for a very expensive Crestron distributed AV system. All wires/cables route to a central location in a closet. The AV contractor took my money and closed it's doors, so I'm left now with a prewired house and in ceiling/wall speakers (8" Sonance). I have 18+ audio zones but for now I just want to get a few TV's setup while I piece my life back together. I read the discussion in this thread and it seems like someone might have a simple (inexpensive) solution to what I want to do for TV audio over WHA speakers. I'm a very visual person so I drew up a diagram of part of the house that has 3 different TV locations. See attached.

- For a temporary WHA solution, I pieced together a poor man's "PHA" (Partial house audio) system that consists of an old receiver that connects to a cheap 6 zone speaker selector from Amazon. I have an apple TV hooked up to the receiver. Surprisingly, it works very well and sounds pretty damn good, and the old receiver hasn't fried yet. I control it from anywhere in the house with my iPhone or iPad and it has been very reliable for cranking music through 1/3 of the house.

-I bought some new TVs and they are being mounted in different rooms that have WHA speakers in the ceiling. Each TV location has (1) RG6 coax and at least (2) Cat6 cables that run back to the closet. Right now I'm very happy with using my TV's to stream directly from the web (netflix, amazon prime, etc.) and I get my local news from an over-the-air antenna via the RG6. With that said, by looking at my diagram you all know the problem...how do I get my TV audio to play through the ceiling speakers? My Cat6 runs are anywhere from 30' to 200' in length

I already own (2) additional apple TVs, so this rig job is the only idea I could come up with:

I add (2) more old receivers from craigslist and (2) more speaker selectors which would give me a total of (3) receivers/speaker selectors in the closet. I could hook each speaker selector to a "grouped" zone of speakers near the TV location. This would allow me to hear the TV audio locally over the WHA speakers. The TV audio would spread to the nearby speakers in the bathrooms/showers/hallways but that works for me. Then, my solution for WHA would be from an app called "Airfoil" that allows you to stream to multiple Apple TVs simultaneously. This would allow me to stream to all (3) ATVs and play through (3) receivers simultaneously that would power a ton of speaker zones in the house...

My head is spinning but I think that would work. But now that I type this I realize the problem is that the local news audio I get from my RG6 coax would not work with this configuration....my other problem is that I have a lot more than (3) TV locations, so i would need a device for each TV whether it be a chromecast puck or ATV. Oh man...no wonder everyone is trying to figure out a simple way to do this. Let me know if you guys have any other poor man configuration ideas.

BTW, can you stream to multiple chromecast pucks simultaneously? If yes, this could be a poor man's Android solution of powering multiple "grouped" zones with my poor man's craigslist receiver/speaker selector configuration. You could literally power 18 zones (3 groups of 6) of music for around $700:

Buy old receivers of your choice from Craigslist
Receiver $150 each x 3= $450
Amazon 6 zone speaker selectors: $40 x 3 = 120
Chromecast pucks with ethernet adapters if needed= $50 x 3 = $150

I bought an old VSX-91TXH and it's cranking out the power. You guys would **** if you heard how good this cheap setup sounds with 6 zones. I have (2) subs hooked to it as well. No one can believe how good it sounds from my $300 investment in equipment.

If you have any input or suggested configurations please speak in layman's terms for this newb...I don't know much about the equipment, but capable of installing and hooking everything up if someone sketched a diagram similar to the attached. Thanks for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf House system.pdf (297.7 KB, 27 views)
post #55 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805jive View Post
BTW, can you stream to multiple chromecast pucks simultaneously?.
Absolutely, it is the key feature that makes the CCA a very viable and low cost choice for WHA. (discussed much in this thread already). You can create groups as well. However, that means you need a separate CCA and Amp for each set of speakers.

BTW, I use and old audio amp in my garage with a CCA input and use a wireless power switch to turn in on/off. It feeds my garage and outside speakers. Works great.
ahard likes this.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 04-26-2017 at 04:43 AM.
post #56 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
BTW, can you stream to multiple chromecast pucks simultaneously? If yes, this could be a poor man's Android solution of powering multiple "grouped" zones with my poor man's craigslist receiver/speaker selector configuration.
Yes you can. You have 18 zones so you would buy 18 Chromecast Audios (CCA). Put a CCA on each zone. You could literally play 18 independent audio streams if you felt inclined to do so. You will want to group the CCAs using the Google Home app which is available on IOS and Android. The Google Home app allows you to control the volume/start/stop/pause audio for one CCA or by group. You can create one group that contains all zones, which will enable you to play the same audio stream across all 18 zones; then you could create a very large number of groups using any combination zones.

So if you only wanted to stream/cast audio in the master bedroom, kitchen, and master bathroom while you get ready for work you can create a group with just those zones; very flexible. Also, if you have guests that come over they can stream music from Spotify or some other cast enabled app on their phone or tablet to a zone of their choice once you provide them with the pin number that's associated with that zone; very flexible.

If you went this route for WHA I would buy 3 6 zone amps or 1 6 zone amp and 1 12 zone amp. I think that we provided multi-room audio amp suggestions in this thread. You don't need a speaker selector in this setup. You can keep your current amps for the Apple TVs so that you can use that setup to stream your TV shows.

3 6 Zone Dayton Audio amps - 3x500=1,500
18 Chromecast Audios - 18x35= 630
18 Chromecast Ethernet Adaptors - 18x15= 270

Total Capital Outlay for WHA: $2,400

post #57 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Alright guys, it looks like I came to the right discussion. I need some help from you experts.

I'm a newb who had my house prewired for a very expensive Crestron distributed AV system. All wires/cables route to a central location in a closet. The AV contractor took my money and closed it's doors, so I'm left now with a prewired house and in ceiling/wall speakers (8" Sonance).
Uggh - I'm really sorry to hear that. At least he got as far as pre-wiring so now you have some lower budget options. Good luck - seems like you are nicely on your way.
ahard likes this.
post #58 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes you can. You have 18 zones so you would buy 18 Chromecast Audios (CCA). Put a CCA on each zone. You could literally play 18 independent audio streams if you felt inclined to do so. You will want to group the CCAs using the Google Home app which is available on IOS and Android. The Google Home app allows you to control the volume/start/stop/pause audio for one CCA or by group. You can create one group that contains all zones, which will enable you to play the same audio stream across all 18 zones; then you could create a very large number of groups using any combination zones.

So if you only wanted to stream/cast audio in the master bedroom, kitchen, and master bathroom while you get ready for work you can create a group with just those zones; very flexible. Also, if you have guests that come over they can stream music from Spotify or some other cast enabled app on their phone or tablet to a zone of their choice once you provide them with the pin number that's associated with that zone; very flexible.

If you went this route for WHA I would buy 3 6 zone amps or 1 6 zone amp and 1 12 zone amp. I think that we provided multi-room audio amp suggestions in this thread. You don't need a speaker selector in this setup. You can keep your current amps for the Apple TVs so that you can use that setup to stream your TV shows.

3 6 Zone Dayton Audio amps - 3x500=1,500
18 Chromecast Audios - 18x35= 630
18 Chromecast Ethernet Adaptors - 18x15= 270

Total Capital Outlay for WHA: $2,400
How does the Dayton Audio 6 zone amp compare to the Monoprice 6 zone amp (Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller?
post #59 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
How does the Dayton Audio 6 zone amp compare to the Monoprice 6 zone amp (Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller?
I'm not sure bc I don't have any personal experience with it. I believe that there is a users thread on this forum for the monoprice amp.

post #60 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Note that the Dayton is an amplifier, while the Monoprice unit discussed in that thread is a WHA controller/system/amp. Very different things. If you're going down the Chromecast path, you probably don't want a system, just a passive multichannel amp.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page