A "modern" approach to Whole House Audio - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Member
 
johnnyletrois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Yes you can. You have 18 zones so you would buy 18 Chromecast Audios (CCA). Put a CCA on each zone. You could literally play 18 independent audio streams if you felt inclined to do so. You will want to group the CCAs using the Google Home app which is available on IOS and Android. The Google Home app allows you to control the volume/start/stop/pause audio for one CCA or by group. You can create one group that contains all zones, which will enable you to play the same audio stream across all 18 zones; then you could create a very large number of groups using any combination zones.

So if you only wanted to stream/cast audio in the master bedroom, kitchen, and master bathroom while you get ready for work you can create a group with just those zones; very flexible. Also, if you have guests that come over they can stream music from Spotify or some other cast enabled app on their phone or tablet to a zone of their choice once you provide them with the pin number that's associated with that zone; very flexible.

If you went this route for WHA I would buy 3 6 zone amps or 1 6 zone amp and 1 12 zone amp. I think that we provided multi-room audio amp suggestions in this thread. You don't need a speaker selector in this setup. You can keep your current amps for the Apple TVs so that you can use that setup to stream your TV shows.

3 6 Zone Dayton Audio amps - 3x500=1,500
18 Chromecast Audios - 18x35= 630
18 Chromecast Ethernet Adaptors - 18x15= 270

Total Capital Outlay for WHA: $2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Note that the Dayton is an amplifier, while the Monoprice unit discussed in that thread is a WHA controller/system/amp. Very different things. If you're going down the Chromecast path, you probably don't want a system, just a passive multichannel amp.

So use the input (Chromecast/Sonos/etc.) to trigger amp zones on/off, control volume, etc. The Dayton isn't a matrix, right? So inputs are 1:1, not 1:many, i.e. you couldn't input one Chromecast and use it across all zones, right?
johnnyletrois is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
So use the input (Chromecast/Sonos/etc.) to trigger amp zones on/off, control volume, etc. The Dayton isn't a matrix, right?
Dayton is not a matrix. It's a plain jane WHA multi-zone amp. The Dayton like many WHA amps have a audio signal sense feature that will turn the amp on when it gets an audio signal from the streamer and off after X number of minutes of not receiving an audio signal. The streamer is Sonos or Chromecast. As was mentioned previously, volume control and song/playlist changes are done using the Sonos app or the Google Home app for Chromecast.


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
So inputs are 1:1, not 1:many, i.e. you couldn't input one Chromecast and use it across all zones, right?
If you use the Bus input on the Dayton you would connect one Chromecast or one Sonos to the Bus input and that one device would play the same stream across all zones.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #63 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,698
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
So use the input (Chromecast/Sonos/etc.) to trigger amp zones on/off, control volume, etc.
Correct. Essentially you're building a WHA system controller out of an array of Chromecast/Sonos sources. The amp is just a passive, external amp to that 'bundle'.

Quote:
The Dayton isn't a matrix, right? So inputs are 1:1, not 1:many, i.e. you couldn't input one Chromecast and use it across all zones, right?
Correct. The 1:1 of 'zone streamer' to zone keeps control integrated into a single app or control point. If you share the streamer among several zones with the amp, you lose independent zone control. But if you do the same using a non-integrated WHA system, you create two control points that degrade the usability of the system... Meaning, you'd select music from the Chromecast app, but have to turn zones on/off or adjust volume from the Monoprice app or keypads.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
jautor is online now  
 
post #64 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Member
 
johnnyletrois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Dayton is not a matrix. It's a plain jane WHA multi-zone amp. The Dayton like many WHA amps have a audio signal sense feature that will turn the amp on when it gets an audio signal from the streamer and off after X number of minutes of not receiving an audio signal. The streamer is Sonos or Chromecast. As was mentioned previously, volume control and song/playlist changes are done using the Sonos app or the Google Home app for Chromecast.




If you use the Bus input on the Dayton you would connect one Chromecast or one Sonos to the Bus input and that one device would play the same stream across all zones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Correct. Essentially you're building a WHA system controller out of an array of Chromecast/Sonos sources. The amp is just a passive, external amp to that 'bundle'.



Correct. The 1:1 of 'zone streamer' to zone keeps control integrated into a single app or control point. If you share the streamer among several zones with the amp, you lose independent zone control. But if you do the same using a non-integrated WHA system, you create two control points that degrade the usability of the system... Meaning, you'd select music from the Chromecast app, but have to turn zones on/off or adjust volume from the Monoprice app or keypads.

OK, I think I'm wrapping my head around this.

1. ~$650 (amp, Chromecast, Chromecast LAN adapter) - Use Monoprice 6 zone with wall panels and you can control zone volume/input/bass/treble from the wall panel, but controlling Chromecast is from Spotify/Google Home/etc. I could hook up a Raspberry Pi to the RS232 port on the Monoprice and control zone input/volume/bass/treble from another phone app/browser, and Chromecast control is still via Spotify/Google Home/etc.

Benefits are wall control and 1:many source:zone, but drawbacks are either wall panel only zone control or juggling two apps (requiring another piece of hardware). Add up to 18 zone outputs from six inputs using additional Monoprice 6 zone amps as slaves.

2. ~$800 (amp, six Chromecasts, and six Chromecast LAN adapters) - Use "dumb" six zone amp (Dayton) and one or two sources via bus inputs, but then you lose discrete zone control. Or use six Chromecasts to the six zone inputs and have individual zone control from Google Home/Spotify controlling zone volume and source from same app.

Benefits are tighter control via one app and grouping zones in Google Home, but drawbacks are no local wall control (well you could do volume only using old school volume knobs) and six required Chromecasts for discrete zone control.

Choice 2 seems like the more tightly integrated solution, and there's nothing stopping you from using a wall/tabletop tablet mounted in each zone to control Google Home. You could also add additional zones just by adding another x zone amp and the number of Chromecasts for each additional zone.

If wiring wasn't an issue and you wanted to keep your options open for future proofing, what would you do?

Last edited by johnnyletrois; 04-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
johnnyletrois is offline  
post #65 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post

Benefits are tighter control via one app and grouping zones in Google Home, but drawbacks are no local wall control (well you could do volume only using old school volume knobs) and six required Chromecasts for discrete zone control.
The reason Mike started this thread is to offer ideas for a relatively low cost solution for in-room controls using Chromecast and phones or tablets in each room so that you don't have to do volume knobs. In this thread there is a link to a low cost Android Motorola phone that you could place in each room on a night stand; only use the Wifi and don't activate the phone. As you suggested, a table-top/night stand tablet in each room would also serve the same purpose as well as providing all of the functions of a tablet. It just depends on your budgetary constraints.


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
Choice 2 seems like the more tightly integrated solution, and there's nothing stopping you from using a wall/tabletop tablet mounted in each zone to control Google Home. You could also add additional zones just by adding another x zone amp and the number of Chromecasts for each additional zone.

If wiring wasn't an issue and you wanted to keep your options open for future proofing, what would you do?
You got it. You should do what works best for your budget while at the same time trying not to degrade the usability of the system. There is a lot of insight in this thread and on this forum that should lead you to a well-informed decision that will work best for you.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #66 of 93 Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,698
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
Choice 2 seems like the more tightly integrated solution, and there's nothing stopping you from using a wall/tabletop tablet mounted in each zone to control Google Home. You could also add additional zones just by adding another x zone amp and the number of Chromecasts for each additional zone.
Yep, you got it! The only real downside to the "all Chromecast" setup is that you are limited by whatever you can get to the Chromecast. So simple analog sources like an FM tuner or TV / set-top box audio aren't available to the WHA system. This was important to me as I use the WHA system to listen to the news in the morning (from a set-top box), and it's also good for the game room zone during sporting events.

The higher-end systems from Sonos, Russound, NuVo, etc. all have 'line input' capabilities on the zone streamers to allow for this.

Quote:
If wiring wasn't an issue and you wanted to keep your options open for future proofing, what would you do?
Wiring wise, do it right and you can use any of these now or in the future... Wire cat5e for keypads in every zone (bury the wire in the wall if you don't want blank plates), and home run the speaker wires. The CEA wiring pattern recommendations have the speaker wire looped through the keypad location, but you can skip that complexity if you won't need the analog volume controls (if you're using the "bus" input on a multichannel amp, you might want these!).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
jautor is online now  
post #67 of 93 Old 04-27-2017, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
Yep, you got it! The only real downside to the "all Chromecast" setup is that you are limited by whatever you can get to the Chromecast. So simple analog sources like an FM tuner or TV / set-top box audio aren't available to the WHA system. This was important to me as I use the WHA system to listen to the news in the morning (from a set-top box), and it's also good for the game room zone during sporting events.

The higher-end systems from Sonos, Russound, NuVo, etc. all have 'line input' capabilities on the zone streamers to allow for this.

Jeff
So I think that we should be very clear on this point when it comes to Chromecast. Jeff has rightly stated that Chromecast doesn't have the 'line input' so that you can stream your tv set-top box audio using the 'line output' on the back of your set-top box to the WHA speakers.

However, casting a tv channel's audio to a Chromecast Audio device can be done without having the 'line-out/input' connection using the Background Audio feature that is built into Chromecast. Most multi-channel providers that provide customers with a set-top box also have a complimentary app that users can use to stream live tv and dvr material. Directv, Dish, Xfinity (Comcast), Charter, and others offer a complimentary streaming app for their set-top box users.

You can use Chromecast's Background Audio feature to cast audio from any app to your Chromecasts. This means that if you want to stream audio from a tv channel that is available on your multi-channel provider's app you can do it. I have Directv and their Genie and mini-Genie clients as my set-top boxes. But I also have the Directv app that allows me to stream live tv from all of the channels including my local channels no matter where I am. In the past 10 months or so I've streamed live tv audio from the Directv app throughout the speakers in my WHA system for college football, NCAA basketball tournament, and NBA playoff games using the Background Audio feature of Chromecast.

In addition streaming apps are also available from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Directv Now, Dish Sling, Playstation Vue, CBS and so forth, where the app's audio can be cast to a Chromecast Audio using the background audio feature. Directv Now, Netflix and CBS Sports have the Chromecast casting feature built into the app.

The number of people streaming tv shows using an app continues to grow and multi-channel providers that offer an streaming app as a compliment to your traditional set-top box is large. The future is clearly streaming tv shows through an app and some people are/have moved in that direction. As such the lack of a 'line-input' becomes less of an 'issue' when you have a streaming app available and you're using a streamer that doesn't off a 'line-input/output'.

BTW, if your local FM or AM station has an app (most are on I-Heart or Tune-In) you can cast that app's audio to your Chromecasts using the Background Audio feature. The feature is not limited to a specific type of audio or app. Any app's audio can be cast. So if you want to cast that local FM station that isn't available on the Tune-In app you can use Background Audio.
markrubin likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1

Last edited by ahard; 04-27-2017 at 06:04 AM.
ahard is offline  
post #68 of 93 Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,698
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
However, casting a tv channel's audio to a Chromecast Audio device can be done without having the 'line-out/input' connection using the Background Audio feature that is built into Chromecast. Most multi-channel providers that provide customers with a set-top box also have a complimentary app that users can use to stream live tv and dvr material. Directv, Dish, Xfinity (Comcast), Charter, and others offer a complimentary streaming app for their set-top box users.
Just be aware that *if* you're trying to use the "TV audio" to supplement the video, mixing streaming with broadcast signals is usually not possible - because the stream will be seconds behind the broadcast. But as long as you're not trying to stay in (reasonable) sync with video, the apps can all work.

Quote:
The future is clearly streaming tv shows through an app and some people are/have moved in that direction. As such the lack of a 'line-input' becomes less of an 'issue' when you have a streaming app available and you're using a streamer that doesn't off a 'line-input/output'.
Ease of use and syncing are the two caveats here... Starting up a stream on the provider's app and casting the audio, while not a huge deal, is more work than pressing a keypad button. While that delta won't prevent anyone from doing this for parties, etc. the "burden" can dissuade some of the "everyday" usage of these systems. I normally can press one button on my keypad in the master bathroom to get the TV audio / news, for example... If I had to go get my phone, launch the DirecTV app, cast the audio, then switch apps to turn on the bathroom zone, I probably wouldn't do that daily...

Quote:
BTW, if your local FM or AM station has an app (most are on I-Heart or Tune-In) you can cast that app's audio to your Chromecasts using the Background Audio feature. The feature is not limited to a specific type of audio or app. Any app's audio can be cast. So if you want to cast that local FM station that isn't available on the Tune-In app you can use Background Audio.
Yes, the availability of local radio on TuneIn makes this a very viable alternative. While I still have an FM tuner hooked to my WHA system, it hasn't been used since the last hurricane...
ahard likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
jautor is online now  
post #69 of 93 Old 04-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Member
 
johnnyletrois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
So I think that we should be very clear on this point when it comes to Chromecast. Jeff has rightly stated that Chromecast doesn't have the 'line input' so that you can stream your tv set-top box audio using the 'line output' on the back of your set-top box to the WHA speakers.

However, casting a tv channel's audio to a Chromecast Audio device can be done without having the 'line-out/input' connection using the Background Audio feature that is built into Chromecast. Most multi-channel providers that provide customers with a set-top box also have a complimentary app that users can use to stream live tv and dvr material. Directv, Dish, Xfinity (Comcast), Charter, and others offer a complimentary streaming app for their set-top box users.

You can use Chromecast's Background Audio feature to cast audio from any app to your Chromecasts. This means that if you want to stream audio from a tv channel that is available on your multi-channel provider's app you can do it. I have Directv and their Genie and mini-Genie clients as my set-top boxes. But I also have the Directv app that allows me to stream live tv from all of the channels including my local channels no matter where I am. In the past 10 months or so I've streamed live tv audio from the Directv app throughout the speakers in my WHA system for college football, NCAA basketball tournament, and NBA playoff games using the Background Audio feature of Chromecast.

In addition streaming apps are also available from the likes of Netflix, Hulu, Directv Now, Dish Sling, Playstation Vue, CBS and so forth, where the app's audio can be cast to a Chromecast Audio using the background audio feature. Directv Now, Netflix and CBS Sports have the Chromecast casting feature built into the app.

The number of people streaming tv shows using an app continues to grow and multi-channel providers that offer an streaming app as a compliment to your traditional set-top box is large. The future is clearly streaming tv shows through an app and some people are/have moved in that direction. As such the lack of a 'line-input' becomes less of an 'issue' when you have a streaming app available and you're using a streamer that doesn't off a 'line-input/output'.

BTW, if your local FM or AM station has an app (most are on I-Heart or Tune-In) you can cast that app's audio to your Chromecasts using the Background Audio feature. The feature is not limited to a specific type of audio or app. Any app's audio can be cast. So if you want to cast that local FM station that isn't available on the Tune-In app you can use Background Audio.
Are you using a smart tv with streaming apps built in, or do you use a Roku/AppleTV/FireTV/etc? For the bedroom, it would be great if we could watch tv with audio coming through the WHA ceiling speakers. Same goes for the living room.
johnnyletrois is offline  
post #70 of 93 Old 04-27-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
Are you using a smart tv with streaming apps built in, or do you use a Roku/AppleTV/FireTV/etc? For the bedroom, it would be great if we could watch tv with audio coming through the WHA ceiling speakers. Same goes for the living room.
You should use in-wall speakers or bookshelf/floor-standing speakers for regular tv watching; it'll be a better listening experience than your WHA speakers bc of the positioning of the front speakers. I only cast from the Directv app to my master bathroom and master bedroom WHA speakers when I'm in the shower and I want to hear what is happening in a game.

My previous post was only in reference to apps that stream tv; not smart tv apps or any of the boxes that stream tv (Roku/Apple TV/Fire TV). The Directv example I used in the post you quoted was in reference to the Directv app (not Directv Now) that is a complimentary app that Directv provides to customers that use the standard Directv service.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #71 of 93 Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Member
 
johnnyletrois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep going back and forth, and I'm not afraid to tinker. I think @ccruzen is on to something with his setup (Any experience with the Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller?), and I think this is the way I'll go.

Thanks everyone for clarifying things.
johnnyletrois is offline  
post #72 of 93 Old 04-29-2017, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hey guys, nice to see activity on the thread.

There is a hack that should allow you to send line input audio to a chromecast - you can use a logitech media server (remember squeezebox?), on a windows machine with the waveinput plugin, which generates a stream from the line in ports on a sound card. LMS also allows casting of audio streams to chromecast groups in addition to squeezeboxes, etc.., and you can use an squeezebox controller app to do the switching.

It's a lot of work to setup though, and I wouldn't recommend it to "civilians". If the Raspberry pi had audio inputs I am sure that this functionality would have been mainstreamed by now using a device like that one.

The challenge with STB's has been they are closed ecosystem without any competition, so you don't have CE firms competing for consumer's business with the exception of a few devices that use cablecard today. Now, if you use one of those, things get easier. For example, if you have a Tivo, their mobile apps supports mirroring in airplay so you can tune the channel on your app, and then send the audio to an airplay device easily. No chromecast support yet.

If you are using the Plex DVR, again, that becomes more straightforward as Plex thoroughly integrates Cast support.

I wouldn't expect Comcast or AT&T DirectTV DVR's to do that sort of thing, as these guys fight every step in user choice and integration.

I do think things are getting easier, and I also expect a lot more progress now that Google has released Cast code i.e. Chromecast builtin) to developers to embed in speakers, receivers, TV's etc... See here: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...casting-video/ I suspect Cast will be everywhere in a few months.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by MikeSM; 04-29-2017 at 04:59 PM.
MikeSM is offline  
post #73 of 93 Old 04-29-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smoothtlk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,712
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 45
"I wouldn't expect Comcast or AT&T DirectTV DVR's to do that sort of thing, as these guys fight every step in user choice and integration."

DirecTV has great integration support.
So does Dish, though their testing certification process is a pain.
Comcast, not so much. IR support only. We have converted bunches of Comcast users to DTV / Dish because of this.
smoothtlk is offline  
post #74 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20,155
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
^^^

Comcast has promised to open its API for the X1 system for third party control: I heard Control4 will be first....but Comcast keeps delaying its release.... IR control of the X1 is slow at best

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
markrubin is offline  
post #75 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,698
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
I wouldn't expect Comcast or AT&T DirectTV DVR's to do that sort of thing, as these guys fight every step in user choice and integration.
Well, my DirecTV system is completely integrated with my WHA... Not the way you're describing it would, but I wrote some code to use their published API to feed metadata, and the set-top boxes are simply connected as sources:


Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
jautor is online now  
post #76 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
^^^

Comcast has promised to open its API for the X1 system for third party control: I heard Control4 will be first....but Comcast keeps delaying its release.... IR control of the X1 is slow at best
What I meant by Comcast and DirecTV fighting integration and user choice is that you should be able to take their video content and integrate it into a system that integrates their video as a source in an IP based system. Like being able to take video from their STB and record it in Plex or send it to a Chromecast, or at least having their own STB support things like Plex and YT etc... Netflix is on the latest X1's not because they wanted to, but because they cut a deal to try and silence Netflix from getting the FCC to open up STB's to competition in a proceeding last year.

Content protection and DRM are not the issue here - Netflix works and it has all the same DRM needs.

They don't do this because they make a killing leasing STB's to you, and don't want you yusing your own equipment instead of theirs. Heck they won't even sell you a STB if you wanted to pay for the stuff they build.

If they were really easy to integrate, their apps would have airplay and cast suppport, and their video would be easy to stream and manage on any reasonable hardware, and the need to switch HDMI or component sources would be a thing of the past.

As the world moves away from these monopolists in terms of video service to more OTT distribution, this will all work itself out because the mobile world is a much more open one.

You guys have too low standards for what integration should be like. Expect more.

Thx
mike
markrubin likes this.
MikeSM is offline  
post #77 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NW Houston, TX
Posts: 10,698
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
Content protection and DRM are not the issue here - Netflix works and it has all the same DRM needs.
Oh, it very much is the issue. Just not the only one. Netflix has their content licensed with IP distribution in mind and negotiated up front, the cableco's content agreements are very different, and certainly, outdated as the technology moves forward.

Quote:
They don't do this because they make a killing leasing STB's to you, and don't want you yusing your own equipment instead of theirs. Heck they won't even sell you a STB if you wanted to pay for the stuff they build.
Yes, certainly, and shame on the FCC for allowing this to continue, dragging their feet and allowing the (virtual) monopolies continue these practices... We have all paid for mandated tuners and other equipment which are effectively useless due to the inaction of the commission.

Quote:
If they were really easy to integrate, their apps would have airplay and cast suppport, and their video would be easy to stream and manage on any reasonable hardware
No, easy would be that they used standards for streaming and authentication/encryption, so we didn't have to use separate apps for every single provider... Doesn't mean they can't have an app to "do more", but the basics of "select content and play" shouldn't require snowflakes.

Quote:
As the world moves away from these monopolists in terms of video service to more OTT distribution, this will all work itself out because the mobile world is a much more open one.
Is it? There's a fruit company in California that I'd point to...

Quote:
You guys have too low standards for what integration should be like. Expect more.
No, we're being realists. And we want the stuff to work "today", not in the hopefully more open/interoperable future - for all the content that we find important. But we do all hope to get to that place...

Jeff
markrubin and Hisma like this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix it.
jautor is online now  
post #78 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
markrubin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 20,155
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
we know there should be a higher level of integration: and we know it can be done

but there is a short list of issues that prevent it from moving forward

in no particular order:

-HDMI.org/HDCP/DRM/Hollywood
-FCC rules
-provider/distributor agenda

until these issues are resolved, we are constrained to low expectations

Comcast refusal to release their API is good example of the sad state of the industry
jautor likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
markrubin is offline  
post #79 of 93 Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
we know there should be a higher level of integration: and we know it can be done

but there is a short list of issues that prevent it from moving forward

in no particular order:

-HDMI.org/HDCP/DRM/Hollywood
-FCC rules
-provider/distributor agenda

until these issues are resolved, we are constrained to low expectations

Comcast refusal to release their API is good example of the sad state of the industry
+1!

Btw, there is a nice package called aircast that works on a raspberry pi or in a VM that translates airplay to cast, and allows a Chromecast group to appear as an airplay zone - it's called aircast and a good install guide is here: https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...n-pi-3-model-b

So if you had a TiVo and ios devices you could send the sound from a live tv show to a set of chromecasts hooked to an amp.

I haven't tried this myself but will try it when I get some time as my wife is an iOS preferred device person.

Thx
Mike
MikeSM is offline  
post #80 of 93 Old 07-05-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
BTW everyone, the new Moto E4 prepaid is out (https://www.verizonwireless.com/prep...to-e4-prepaid/), a very nice cheap phoen that can be used asa remote. It's $70 retail at Verizon, but likely will be cheaper when on sale. It runs Android 7.1.1 so has excellent app compatibility and integration with Google now.

If folks are looking for a cheap android phone to use as a remote, this will be a nice unit. Good battery life too.

Thx
mike
ahard likes this.
MikeSM is offline  
post #81 of 93 Old 07-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
BTW everyone, the new Moto E4 prepaid is out (https://www.verizonwireless.com/prep...to-e4-prepaid/), a very nice cheap phoen that can be used asa remote. It's $70 retail at Verizon, but likely will be cheaper when on sale. It runs Android 7.1.1 so has excellent app compatibility and integration with Google now.

If folks are looking for a cheap android phone to use as a remote, this will be a nice unit. Good battery life too.

Thx
mike
What about picking up a few Fire HD 7 tablets for $29.99 today on Prime Day? Is there any reason those wouldn't work as remotes for streaming (especially Spotify Premium) to Chromecast Audios?
ahard likes this.
GatorBlues is offline  
post #82 of 93 Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
What about picking up a few Fire HD 7 tablets for $29.99 today on Prime Day? Is there any reason those wouldn't work as remotes for streaming (especially Spotify Premium) to Chromecast Audios?
They would work fine too, though the Amazon store has way fewer apps than the play store, and tablets are often a bit large for remote use.

Thx
Mike
GatorBlues likes this.
MikeSM is offline  
post #83 of 93 Old 07-12-2017, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
What about picking up a few Fire HD 7 tablets for $29.99 today on Prime Day? Is there any reason those wouldn't work as remotes for streaming (especially Spotify Premium) to Chromecast Audios?
My only problem with the Fire tablets is that they use a 'forked' version of Android. My concern would be that you couldn't use the background audio feature found in the Google Home app so that you can cast audio from apps that don't have the cast feature enabled.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #84 of 93 Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM
Member
 
2ndvizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I didn't think the Fire Tablets would work for chromecast at all without rooting them. I have quite a few fire tablets but I don't have any way of streaming to my chromecast. And the Amazon app store is very limited. That being said, they do work very well if you go with echo instead of chromecast which is my use case. I don't use my whole home audio much at all since switching over to echos in every room. I find voice commands for playing music or controlling lights much easier than using a phone or tablet as a remote.
ahard likes this.
2ndvizio is online now  
post #85 of 93 Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
My only problem with the Fire tablets is that they use a 'forked' version of Android. My concern would be that you couldn't use the background audio feature found in the Google Home app so that you can cast audio from apps that don't have the cast feature enabled.
I didn't buy them because my house won't be finished until late October. However, would they work to simply stream from Spotify premium? For the last year or so, that's been the only streaming I've used with my Chromecast audios. Are there free streaming options I am overlooking for chromecast audios?
GatorBlues is offline  
post #86 of 93 Old 07-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
I didn't buy them because my house won't be finished until late October. However, would they work to simply stream from Spotify premium? For the last year or so, that's been the only streaming I've used with my Chromecast audios. Are there free streaming options I am overlooking for chromecast audios?
Spotify appears to be in available in the Amazon app store. You should be able to cast from Spotify on a Fire tablet to the Chromecasts.
GatorBlues likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #87 of 93 Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
ahard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: I'm in Florida
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndvizio View Post
I didn't think the Fire Tablets would work for chromecast at all without rooting them. I have quite a few fire tablets but I don't have any way of streaming to my chromecast. And the Amazon app store is very limited. That being said, they do work very well if you go with echo instead of chromecast which is my use case. I don't use my whole home audio much at all since switching over to echos in every room. I find voice commands for playing music or controlling lights much easier than using a phone or tablet as a remote.
Well, Google Home does offer voice control of the Chromecasts. I have Amazon Alexas throughout my home but I'm also running my WHA using the Chromecasts. If and when I do decided to do voice control for the Chromecasts I'll pickup of a couple of Google Home devices and they'll live side by side with the Echo. I'll continue to let Echo control the home automation function and GH would control the WHA.

XBL: Stunt1on1
ahard is offline  
post #88 of 93 Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Member
 
2ndvizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
Well, Google Home does offer voice control of the Chromecasts. I have Amazon Alexas throughout my home but I'm also running my WHA using the Chromecasts. If and when I do decided to do voice control for the Chromecasts I'll pickup of a couple of Google Home devices and they'll live side by side with the Echo. I'll continue to let Echo control the home automation function and GH would control the WHA.
I have the Google Home but got frustrated with it when I couldn't tell it to play music form an artist or a particular song in my library that I uploaded Seems to only work with playlists. Google Home is much smarter at answering questions but not so great with music yet. I have both chromecast and echo dot hooked up to my WHA but I can't figure an easy way to automatically turn on everything with voice commands. So I mostly use the echos.
ahard likes this.
2ndvizio is online now  
post #89 of 93 Old 07-14-2017, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MikeSM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndvizio View Post
I have the Google Home but got frustrated with it when I couldn't tell it to play music form an artist or a particular song in my library that I uploaded Seems to only work with playlists. Google Home is much smarter at answering questions but not so great with music yet. I have both chromecast and echo dot hooked up to my WHA but I can't figure an easy way to automatically turn on everything with voice commands. So I mostly use the echos.
Funny you should mention this. Google just fixed this: http://androidandme.com/2017/07/news...y-music-songs/

I don't understand why this should have every been implemented this way, but at least they seem to have dealt with the bug.

Thx
Mike
MikeSM is offline  
post #90 of 93 Old 07-14-2017, 09:33 AM
Member
 
2ndvizio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
Funny you should mention this. Google just fixed this: http://androidandme.com/2017/07/news...y-music-songs/

I don't understand why this should have every been implemented this way, but at least they seem to have dealt with the bug.

Thx
Mike
Thanks for letting me know it got fixed. I've got many more Echos than Google Homes so I'll be sticking with the Echos.
2ndvizio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off