X10 dimming of low-voltage halogen lighting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-28-2003, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have experience dimming low-voltage halogen lighting from X10-controlled dimmers?

In addition to line-level dimmed lighting I currently have a single lighting configuration consisting of 5x20W 12V Halogen bulbs and 2x50W 12V Halogen bulbs fed by a 200W magnetic transformer (this is basically a LiteSpeed installation). This transformer is fused, and fed from a standard X10 wall-mounted dimmer switch.

I'd like to break this single config into 2 configs - 2x50W and 1x20W on the first circuit and 4x20W on the second circuit. I plan to install a second 200W magnetic transformer to drive the second circuit.

In the past 4 months my single config installation has blown two fuses - I'm suspecting that the chopped-up power feed from the X10 dimmer and the max (200W) load is the cause of this. I suspect that my best option is to put an X10 noise filter between each transformer and the dimmed power feed, and to split the config into two as mentioned above. Does anyone have an opinion about this?

The transformers are wired to the power feed by a standard 15A outlet. This outlet is currently dimmed via the wall-switch. Although this outlet is in the attic I'd still like to get this into compliance by making it a non-dimmed feed, changing the dimmer switch out for a suitable X10 transmitter, and using plug-in dimmers/noise filters.

Does anyone have a better solution than this? I'm looking for a solution that I can eventually drive from a PC but that will have good quality wall-switches.

Can anyone help please?

Andy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-30-2003, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use the high end leviton x-10 dimmers (called either mural or mosaic series, I forget which) and they work fine with both magnetic and electronic driven low voltage lighting. The dimmers have green led's running down the left side to indicate illumination level.

- Dan
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page